Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

my retro fit projector

Old 04-23-2010, 12:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my retro fit projector

i will do a full write up once i get a little spare time. meanwhile here are some pics. the kit came with these halos,they were free so i figured i would stick them on. i know some of you may thinks its lame but to each is own. ps thanks again to hilldweller for his headlight donation

Last edited by sm_rubi; 04-23-2010 at 02:11 PM. Reason: pic help
Old 04-23-2010, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

Default retro fit projector write up

ok so here is my head light write up. as mentioned before i had plenty of time to work on these because hilldweller donated his old head lights to me. the projectors were ordered at theretrofitsource.com i had the hit kit already,but you can buy one for pretty cheap at ddmtuning.com they got one for about 30$

1st step and probably the hardest was to bake the light at 270 for about 10 min to remove the lens

2nd step was to trim about an inch off the bezel aswell as under the bezel to give the projector a snug fit

3rd i took a dremel and began to cut a hole. little at a time not to over do it

4th i secured the projector to the housing using 10/32 screws

5th i sprayed the bezels black. i want nothing to do with chrome. then i glued on the halo ring

6th i then sprayed the inside of the lens with vht spray tint for the blackout look. sanded it down with 2000 grit for a smooth finish. i sealed the lens back wired it all down. i connected the halos to my blinkers

and there you have it. for a little under 280$ you can make custom projectors. any questions i will be happy to answer. check out my other threads for more builds.

Last edited by sm_rubi; 04-23-2010 at 03:06 PM. Reason: pic help
Old 04-23-2010, 03:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VERY NICE!!!!

I would love this setup! However, it is not clear on what you mean by cutting the bezels? And more clear pictures would be helpful. What projectors did you use from the retrofitsource? And how well did they aim? How did you ensure they were straight? How did you get the glass back in? How did you seal the moisture out, since it looks like it has an opening from the dremel cut? etc...

Last edited by IcyFridge; 04-23-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:07 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow dude nice write up! Thanks for taking the time to share it!
Old 04-23-2010, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice work. i did a similar thing but I am not using any bezels. I'm still working on getting the capsules to fit with the projector housing though, since I am using non OEM wiring.

I still haven't aligned it, so it isn't completely JB welded in yet.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:32 AM
JK Newbie

Default type of projectos

i bought the fx-r projectors since i already had an hid kit i bought the PNP Upgrade: Bi-xenon kit for 235. if you choose the value shrouds you only pay half price for them. i told him to throw in the halos. you have to get the d2s bulbs. these are the only kind that fit.

as far as assembling the light i bought 10/32 screws with the nuts. apply some locktight. then to fill in the gaps i used this epoxy putty i also used it to secure the shroud to the projector. i used super glue all temp to stick the halo on the shroud

for aiming dont seal the lens until u wire it up and aim the projector(do this at night). to seal it i used some rtv silicone adhesive sealant.i also put a heat gun to the light to use the original glue God bless
Old 04-25-2010, 07:47 PM
JK Freak

i wanna do this awesome man
Old 04-26-2010, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nice work!

I'm not entirely clear on where on the headlight capsule you bolted the projector housings to. Did you bolt them to the bezel so it was a pressure fit?
Old 04-26-2010, 08:37 AM
JK Newbie

Default mounting

i made 4 holes in the housing lining them up with the projector
Old 04-26-2010, 10:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I see this in the future for my JK when I get bored of my hella lens and H4 wiring harness ha.

Quick Reply: my retro fit projector