Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Simple Bumper Dimple Removal (requires drilling)

Old 06-27-2007, 07:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple Bumper Dimple Removal (requires drilling)

Well, I was tired of seeing the dimples in my bumper from that tree that jumped out at me on the trail. Trees are evil that way. Unfortunately the bumper I want is not shipping yet. I thought about making it a stubby for now but the wife gave me the evil eye so I decided to pull out the drill instead of the sawzall. I drilled a hole underneath the bumper where the dimples were. Then I inserted a long screwdriver and pushed out with it. I ended up having to drill a hole on top of the bumper also to get it fully pushed out but oh well. Here's the before and after results. It will do for now.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:57 PM
JK Super Freak

You might have been able to drill from the back side instead. Other than that, cheap fixes rock.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:49 PM
JK Newbie

FYI - I had the same problem so I took the stock bumper off and the plastic cover come apart with four (4) screws. I then took a heat gun and put it on the dented area and pushed from the back side and it came out really easy. You still get the "stretch marks" but it looks better than before. You also don't need to drill or damage the bumper further.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got a similar dimple (similar size, location) on my JK. I just left it... it was a good excuse for me to order a PJ stubby! A few days later, it popped up by itself! I think the heat (from the sun) fixed the dimple. It still got some scratch markes though...
Old 06-28-2007, 05:11 PM
JK Freak

How'd you get all that mud off w/just a drill and a screwdriver?
Old 06-28-2007, 07:31 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah, I should have taken the bumper off or at least drilled from the back. I think I'll try the heat gun when I get a chance. Maybe it will magically make my bumper a smittybuilt like my magical cleaning drill and screwdriver.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:56 PM
JK Newbie

Location: Mountain View, CA & Incline Village, Lk. Tahoe, NV (summer house)

Originally Posted by moun10eer
I got a similar dimple (similar size, location) on my JK. I just left it... it was a good excuse for me to order a PJ stubby! A few days later, it popped up by itself! I think the heat (from the sun) fixed the dimple. It still got some scratch markes though...
Mine did the same. Popped back after few days. I was like "where the dent go!?" Nice surprise! I guess it has self-healing ability.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:24 PM
JK Newbie

Default Removing Stock Bumper and plastic

[SUP]removing[/SUP]
Originally Posted by minthill
FYI - I had the same problem so I took the stock bumper off and the plastic cover come apart with four (4) screws. I then took a heat gun and put it on the dented area and pushed from the back side and it came out really easy. You still get the "stretch marks" but it looks better than before. You also don't need to drill or damage the bumper further.
I just cause an idiot dimple on a brand new 2015 JK? I won't even bother telling you how only that's why they call it an idiot dimple. How exactly do you remove the bumper and where are the screws that hold in the plastic?
Old 10-05-2014, 01:00 AM
-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MUNKMAN

I just cause an idiot dimple on a brand new 2015 JK? I won't even bother telling you how only that's why they call it an idiot dimple. How exactly do you remove the bumper and where are the screws that hold in the plastic?
Depending how deep or distorted the dimple is.. a warm day in the sunlight or a heat gun (not to close) just to heat the bumper up a bit.. Meanwhile, and depending on where the dimple is located.. Typically drilling a few small dowel sized holes on the wheel well side (the tire side) and using the warm day or the heat gun, one would push the dowel through the drill holes in stages, forcing the dimply out from all sides, leaving the deepest part of the dimple for last. in other words don't force it all at one time. One issue is if the dimply actually has a crease in it and this will leave a mar which is unavoidable..
Note: Do Not use a wooden dowel.. as this could break off inside your bumper.

Last edited by AngryRedBird; 10-05-2014 at 01:02 AM.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are looking at this all wrong. ANYTIME you break something or wear it out, that is the perfect opportunity to upgrade. I think some of you need you Jeep and man cards taken away.

Quick Reply: Simple Bumper Dimple Removal (requires drilling)