Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2012 JKU check engine light and traction light on

Old 02-26-2013, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2012 JKU check engine light and traction light on

I am throwing this out to see if other people are having issues.

I have a 2012 JKU that recently at speeds of 120km or 75miles an hour, the check engine light comes on and shortly after the traction light comes on. The jeep then goes into limp mode and I have no power.

Brought it to the dealer the first time, they say the code has something to do with the oil. Poss the wrong oil used/viscosity etc. I run systhetic oil now, castrol edge. They reset the error and said to monitor it.
I got onto the highway and sure enough. Lights on.

Second time, they are telling me the code tells the tech to reset and give back to customer. They are not getting any specific codes.

Third time, they are saying they are going to replace the cam sensor and advise me to run mopar oil. Saying there have been cases in the US of the oil type tripping the computer.

I am having a hard time on that one, but what do I know!

Anyway, if anyone wants to chime in, please do!

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2013, 09:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm confused on why oil would make your traction control light come on..unless its directly correlated with the check engine light which I don't understand either then I would assume your dealer just wants you to use Mopar oil and you will soon realize that the problem won't be solved. Sorry I couldn't really help but keep us posted on the fix to your problem.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same cel and limp mode thing happen when I stalled and turned back on immediately, shortly after pulling over and turning off for a few minutes the lights turned off an all was fine. I took it into the dealership and they told me that the cam pos sensor might have tripped since I didn't cycle the engine off for long enough, but since the cel didn't persist they can't do anything. When I was there they did ask me what type of oil and filter I was using and noted that I use RP 5W-30 with Mopar filter and sent me on my way. Its been 6 months and two oil changes and no cel or limp mode since, so it would seem the cam pos sensor is likely the culprit on yours.

I find it interesting that they're attributing something like that to engine oil. Since they noted my oil and filter I winder if they would try deny a warranty claim if it did fail in the future. Dealerships are all BS anyway... Good luck with yours, please post your results..

'12 Dozy
The following users liked this post:
Hohobear (07-10-2021)
Old 03-25-2013, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am just going to update as this issue is ongoing..... I will post the error code from the engine as forgot it a home. But it was saying the cam sensor was intermittent.

First time in, the dealership questioned my oil and said that I may have to switch back to mopar....think that was BS and told the dealership I have been running Castrol Edge Sythetic(meets jeeps specs) for about 30000km now.

Second time they flashed the computer and told me to monitor the issue, only to get on the highway and the check engine light came on as soon as I hit 120km/hr.

Couple times later they replaced the cam sensor, just for the light to come on again.

The next they tried a cam phaser and some gaskets. It was good for a day and a half and then the light came back on again.

They tried hardwiring past a wiring harness to isolate wiring, but that proved wrong.

Dealership is now in contact with jeep engineers on the next step. Brutal to have a year and a half old jeep and cant use it as intended!

I will update as I go along and hope no one else is going throught the hassle.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Post up the code. I had same issue with no traction light, turns out oil pump was bad. They gave me a little bit of run around not a lot but it was replaced under warranty. It is NOT your oil.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:42 PM
Former Vendor

Post the code and we can take a look at the diag procedure and give you some options to check yourself or some questions to ask the dealer.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Smashboogie 4x4 that would be great! And thanks as well 3min3m2.

Here is the code P0369

Let me know what you think?!
Old 03-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ravenswood
Thanks Smashboogie 4x4 that would be great! And thanks as well 3min3m2.

Here is the code P0369

Let me know what you think?!
The code is will require lots of diag time in order to pin point the exact problem. It is an intermittent cam sensor. This can be a bunch of different things, the sensor itself could be bad, the tone ring could be bad, it could be shorts in the wiring.

This code is pointing to bank 1 sensor 2. So that will give you an idea of where to start.

This shouldn't have anything to do with the oil you are using.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smashboogie 4x4
The code is will require lots of diag time in order to pin point the exact problem. It is an intermittent cam sensor. This can be a bunch of different things, the sensor itself could be bad, the tone ring could be bad, it could be shorts in the wiring.

This code is pointing to bank 1 sensor 2. So that will give you an idea of where to start.

This shouldn't have anything to do with the oil you are using.
Thanks again boogie, they have already replaced the sensor itself. I did get a call today from the dealership, they are going to replace the cam tomorrow. I will see how they do tomorrow and post the results. Maybe lucky trip number 8 to the dealership will do it! haha
Old 03-25-2013, 05:54 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ravenswood
Thanks again boogie, they have already replaced the sensor itself. I did get a call today from the dealership, they are going to replace the cam tomorrow. I will see how they do tomorrow and post the results. Maybe lucky trip number 8 to the dealership will do it! haha
At least its all under warranty!!

Do you know if they have actually performed the diag procedure or are they just throwing parts at it?

Quick Reply: 2012 JKU check engine light and traction light on