Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2012 JKU check engine light and traction light on

Old 03-25-2013, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Smashboogie 4x4
At least its all under warranty!!

Do you know if they have actually performed the diag procedure or are they just throwing parts at it?
Ya good thing for warranty. I can't say for certain, but seems like they are just throwing parts in it and going down the line.
What is the diag procedure?
Old 03-25-2013, 06:02 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenswood
Ya good thing for warranty. I can't say for certain, but seems like they are just throwing parts in it and going down the line.
What is the diag procedure?
The diag procedure consists of monitoring the cam sensor with the scan tool and oscilloscopes, it also requires checking resistance in wires, and checking for shorts. It is a close to 5 pages of checks.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Smashboogie 4x4;3490473]The diag procedure consists of monitoring the cam sensor with the scan tool and oscilloscopes, it also requires checking resistance in wires, and checking for shorts. It is a close to 5 pages of checks.

haha ya I doubt the did that. This is probably an unrelated issue, but I will throw this out and see if you have an idea. But I have had a few occasions where I lose power to my speedometer and stereo and then all the start-up lights come on. This lasted anywhere from a second to five tops, hasn't happened often. But a concern none the less. Any idea if shorts in the cam, could cause spikes that would short my dash?
Old 03-25-2013, 06:18 PM
Former Vendor

[QUOTE=ravenswood;3490496]
Originally Posted by Smashboogie 4x4
The diag procedure consists of monitoring the cam sensor with the scan tool and oscilloscopes, it also requires checking resistance in wires, and checking for shorts. It is a close to 5 pages of checks.

haha ya I doubt the did that. This is probably an unrelated issue, but I will throw this out and see if you have an idea. But I have had a few occasions where I lose power to my speedometer and stereo and then all the start-up lights come on. This lasted anywhere from a second to five tops, hasn't happened often. But a concern none the less. Any idea if shorts in the cam, could cause spikes that would short my dash?
It isn't likely that this issue is related however it is possible. With out going through the entire wiring diagram we wouldn't be able to answer that one with confidence.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Smashboogie 4x4;3490513]
Originally Posted by ravenswood

It isn't likely that this issue is related however it is possible. With out going through the entire wiring diagram we wouldn't be able to answer that one with confidence.
Ya I figure that would be a hard one to tie, but thought I would ask. Thanks for all your help, much appreciated for sure!
Old 03-25-2013, 06:24 PM
Former Vendor

No problem at all. If you have any additional questions feel free to PM us.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just a update. The dealership replaced the camshaft. I took it on the highway and sure enough, the check engine light came on!... Brutal. Not sure what the dealership is going to try. But I think it's time to get jeep involved somehow!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:48 PM
Former Vendor

Tell them to stop throwing parts at it and actually diagnose the problem at hand.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow! You would think they would at least test drive it on the highway. After this many trips to the dealership it is definitely time to get the engineers involved. I can understand maybe they can't get it right the first or second time, because some problems are difficult to troubleshoot and diagnose, but 8 trips is a bit excessive. Best advice i can give u is to drop it off, make them pay for a rental, and tell them not to call u until it's fixed. At this point I don't this this is unreasonable to ask. Your time is just as valuable as theirs. Keep us posted. Good luck!
Old 03-27-2013, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

They have ensured me that they are following diagnostics and have been in contact with tech line.
Ya that is what I said this time, had a rental for the last two days while they replaced the camshaft. They take it for a test drive but within the city. Said something about the mechs being liable for highway driving and is an issue for them getting the jeep up to 120km/hr.
At a loss and pissing me off!
The following users liked this post:
Hohobear (07-10-2021)

Quick Reply: 2012 JKU check engine light and traction light on