Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cure for tracking on the Highway???

Old 09-20-2014, 05:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cure for tracking on the Highway???

Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and jeeping. I have a 2008 4 door unlimited x with 2.5 skyjacker lift and nitto trail grapplers on 35's. On the highway, it seems to track or groove a lot. I think the tire shop put too much air in the tires for one thing. Tomorrow I am going to do the chalk test. What else would make it drive better, and be more stable? Maybe new shocks or stabilizer??? Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	576464
Old 09-20-2014, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to JK-Forum!
Old 09-20-2014, 05:47 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Is any form of caster correction installed? (cam bolts, drop brackets, longer/shorter fixed arms, adjustable arms). Assuming it is just the stock control arms though, which means the caster is lower than stock.

Have you have it aligned? If so, what are the Caster and Toe numbers? If not, some shops will throw it on the rack and print the numbers for free. No adjustments, just to get the numbers.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Is any form of caster correction installed? (cam bolts, drop brackets, longer/shorter fixed arms, adjustable arms). Assuming it is just the stock control arms though, which means the caster is lower than stock.

Have you have it aligned? If so, what are the Caster and Toe numbers? If not, some shops will throw it on the rack and print the numbers for free. No adjustments, just to get the numbers.
I put new nitto trail grapplers on it and got it aligned, but the caster and toe are above my knowledge. When I first got it, it had toyo open country a/t, but they were bald. It would all of a sudden drift while driving normal. The new tires made it better. I did check the shocks and they are skyjackers hydro
Old 09-20-2014, 05:59 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Post the numbers from the alignment.

Lifting causes a decrease in the Caster, which causes flightier steering, and causes both axles to be off-center. My guess is that the low Caster is what you are feeling. But it's hard to say for sure without the numbers.

With stock components, a shop can not adjust Caster or Camber, or recenter the axles. All they can do is re-center the steering wheel and adjust the Toe.

Also, when you get a chance, there is a lot of good info in the two threads stuck right to the top of this modified area. (including a section on Caster in the FAQs')
Old 09-20-2014, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

It was a big discount tire store, they didn't give me any numbers on the alignment. They said the drifting was normal on big tires.

I think the orginal owner put a complete 2.5" skyjacker lift on it. I don't know if it includes those parts. I will look for those threads.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I was chasing this for a while too. There are many many things that could cause it. Number 1, make sure everything is torqued correctly. Next is proper tire inflation. Do the chalk test and see where you sit. about 28 - 30 is normal. Next up is caster correction. I would doubt the 2.5" came with any. After you confirmed, you should look at getting a set of AEV brackets if you drive on the roads a lot. If you hit the rocks like more than 2 times a month, then get lower control arms.

I only put on a teraflex leveling kit and my jeep handled wonky until I fixed everything up. The tread of the tire makes a huge difference too. My BFG ATs track true but my COoper ST MAXX would pull to the right all the time. No matter about rotation etc. caused a very skittish ride on the highway.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Kojack
I was chasing this for a while too. There are many many things that could cause it. Number 1, make sure everything is torqued correctly. Next is proper tire inflation. Do the chalk test and see where you sit. about 28 - 30 is normal. Next up is caster correction. I would doubt the 2.5" came with any. After you confirmed, you should look at getting a set of AEV brackets if you drive on the roads a lot. If you hit the rocks like more than 2 times a month, then get lower control arms.

I only put on a teraflex leveling kit and my jeep handled wonky until I fixed everything up. The tread of the tire makes a huge difference too. My BFG ATs track true but my COoper ST MAXX would pull to the right all the time. No matter about rotation etc. caused a very skittish ride on the highway.
Awesome, thanks kojack, I will start today. It isn't bad, but my highway ride is a little skittish. I need to find the torque settings and check them. I know tires are too high, gonna do that today also
Old 09-21-2014, 05:19 AM
JK Newbie

Does anyone know the torque specs or a link to it?
Old 09-21-2014, 05:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nthinuf and Kojac nailed it. Likely caster causing the darting coupled with big ass tires.
I have a 4" Evo lift on 35" Kevlars and the RC drop brackets.
Ride is decent, a little darty at times which is why I'll be throwing on some AEV brackets I got from my friend. They have a couple extra holes to set your arms up at for more caster.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using JK-Forum

Quick Reply: Cure for tracking on the Highway???