Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jeep build with a super 60/sterling setup

Old 03-02-2014, 07:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the super 60 has 55 teeth in the front and the new sterling tone rings also have 55 teeth, I am hoping t can play with the Programer a bit to get my Speedo calibrated. Unfortunately I won't Know until after I install the axles and order my driveshaft.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:43 PM
JK Super Freak

so, does anyone know how long my front brakelines will have to be with a 14 inch coil over? I figured on 4 inches up travel and 10 inches down travel, but its not enough info to validate the length I will need for my brake lines. Would appreciate somone with a coil over jumping in. Thanks
Old 03-03-2014, 02:11 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Mine are 22" at 4" of lift with 5" up and 9" down if that helps.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:58 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

agreed with dirt. i ran 24"s on my 12" travel shocks and it was way overkill...that seems about right.

Last edited by Maertz; 03-03-2014 at 03:59 PM. Reason: NVM realized your doing 3 link
Old 03-03-2014, 04:38 PM
JK Freak

I appreciate the fact that your project is by far more complex than anything I would take on,,, but if I'm reading this right,, are you going to do all this work, and custom fabrication without any idea if the electronics connected to the tone rings will work, or be able to be made to work? That seems like a pretty big gamble! What ar your options if you cant make it work? I really hope it all comes together!
Old 03-03-2014, 04:45 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by big dr
I appreciate the fact that your project is by far more complex than anything I would take on,,, but if I'm reading this right,, are you going to do all this work, and custom fabrication without any idea if the electronics connected to the tone rings will work, or be able to be made to work? That seems like a pretty big gamble! What ar your options if you cant make it work? I really hope it all comes together!
it will still drive fine and be operational just not the odo/speedo. if you get one ring on the speedo and such work, but still check engine lights. i believe with 2 you are good to go. ive heard you can also get one working and run the other sensor to that one. either way to get a tone ring to work shouldnt be a big deal. i believe dynatrac makes a kit for it aswell.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:23 PM
JK Super Freak

well, my current job has me surrounded by computer programmers, so naturally I picked their brain on this stuff. Here is what they told me...

Each wheel sends a signal in 1's and 0's. The ESP program doesnt really understand wheel spin but rather what is the acceptable variance between each wheel. should those parameters exceed certain thresh holds, then the program will execute a set of comands based on the type and rate those parameters are exceeded.

They guessed that the speed is based on an average of input it receives. The speed is based on a set of inputs that are applied to an algorithm that spits out your speed,.

So if what they say is true, then as long as each wheel has 55 teeth... then I should be good, .

Thanks guys for your quick response on the brake lines. I am thinking of going with Crowns.

Last edited by 2climbbig; 03-03-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:24 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
So if what they say is true, then as long as each wheel has 55 teeth... then I should be good, .
Not necessarily. First assuming what I heard is accurate, the tooth gap is what tells the computer to send a 1 or 0. If the gap is off, then things will get weird. Again this is an assumption***

Assuming the computer is just looking for an individual tooth count from each wheel, traction control and ABS should be ok BUT speedo and odometer have a calculation to perform which uses the number of teeth they consider as a full rotation (stock is 52) and the tire diameter which you can change with a tuner and as I type this I stumped myself into trying to figure out how a 55 tooth ring would ever be truly accurate
Old 03-05-2014, 10:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TOTL Innovations
Not necessarily. First assuming what I heard is accurate, the tooth gap is what tells the computer to send a 1 or 0. If the gap is off, then things will get weird. Again this is an assumption***

Assuming the computer is just looking for an individual tooth count from each wheel, traction control and ABS should be ok BUT speedo and odometer have a calculation to perform which uses the number of teeth they consider as a full rotation (stock is 52) and the tire diameter which you can change with a tuner and as I type this I stumped myself into trying to figure out how a 55 tooth ring would ever be truly accurate
You are soooo raining on my parade! All kidding aside... if the gap is important, then I do have a problem and I am back to square one. If its based on number of teeth per rotation, I can manipulate other parameters like wheel size and gear ratio to get my speedo to match my gps. I know gap can be an issue as it relates to the sensor's ability to pick up the signal, but I don't know if the gap is factored into the equation around speed. I am hoping that ford has the same gap sensitivity issues as Jeep. That said, it is strange that each manufacture uses is different teeth count. Well, one way or another I will definitely let you know the outcome of this.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:51 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
You are soooo raining on my parade! All kidding aside... if the gap is important, then I do have a problem and I am back to square one. If its based on number of teeth per rotation, I can manipulate other parameters like wheel size and gear ratio to get my speedo to match my gps. I know gap can be an issue as it relates to the sensor's ability to pick up the signal, but I don't know if the gap is factored into the equation around speed. I am hoping that ford has the same gap sensitivity issues as Jeep. That said, it is strange that each manufacture uses is different teeth count. Well, one way or another I will definitely let you know the outcome of this.
Not trying to rain on your parade at all, heck I confused myself trying to think about all of this. Maybe the axle companies want you to think that it is a precise science but people seam to be doing junk yard swaps without reporting any "issues".

Look forward to your discovery

Quick Reply: jeep build with a super 60/sterling setup