Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longarm kits compared/contrasted

Old 04-05-2014, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I have run both 3 link and double trianulated 4 link and like the piece of mind with the 4 links. I was always worried about loosing that top link on the rear.
I had a triangulated top 3 link on the desert truck and it came loose. It was at much higher speeds than what a typical Jeep would be at,but when it did,it did some massive damage. I keep thinking about that every time I see a 3 link JK. Burned into my mind..lol
Old 04-05-2014, 06:43 PM
JK Junkie

Man this stuff gets really hard to compare...

I love Dirtman's info, I've read the stickie a couple of times, but I still have a hard time comparing my BDS lift with these other ones, I just want something that's really good off-road, not too easily broken, and still o.k. on the road.

Last year I did manage to bend a factory left front lca and a factory right rear lca, but nothing broke and it just showed up when a did the Dynatrac swap.

matthew
Old 04-05-2014, 07:59 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

BDS is a low market share sub par lift that is in the same market as zone, rubicon express, voodoo, rough country, pro comp, daystar.

Last edited by TheDirtman; 04-05-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:05 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
BDS is a low market share sub par lift that is in the same market as zone, voodoo, rough country, pro comp, daystar.
i swore somewhere i just read that fox bought BDS? wonder if that will change anything...
Old 04-05-2014, 08:11 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

They bought Sport Truck USA, they have the bds and zone brands.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 36Fan
I havent seen or heard of a failure either, and I'd bet there hasn't been any. I still don't wouldn't use one,just my personal preference for a street driven machine.
Someone out my way had the rock Krawler 3rd link break off while wheeling. One could argue it was the weld job, but in the end, it did break.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

The latest JKX video shows the effects of a broken 3 link (twice), they had to tow him off Cadillac Hill....

Synergy and EVO instructions are to partially cut the rear body mount and install the bracket to what's left. Does that provide enough length?

Dual triangulated 4 link rear -- found pics and looks sweet. However, I wasn't able to find many kits, and on Genright's site, it recommends the 4 link for those who spend 80% offroad only, and that's not me.

Planman -- Are you sure TNT makes a 3 link upgrade kit? It's not on their website....

roscoj -- the high clearance mounts only work with the EVO Lever unfortunately, they were on my list until I learned that.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:19 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

His break was due to a poorly designed bridge over the diff and we told him it was not good enough but he chose to run like that anyway.

A double triangulated 4 link like genrights works just fine for a daily driver, not sure why they say off road. Maybe has something to do with the fuel cell.

The biggest issue that I see with the 3 link rear other then strength is to get the geometry right you loose up travel due to a really tall axle mount.

Last edited by TheDirtman; 04-06-2014 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

The evo high clearance bracket kit is designed to work with their cantilever system. But it can be modified by welding on shock mounts wether using coilovers or not. I was going to do this mainly for clearance on the frame side mounts.

A picture of what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1065580520.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	543639   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3421118157.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	543641  

Last edited by roscoj; 04-06-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by roscoj
The evo high clearance bracket kit is designed to work with their cantilever system. But it can be modified by welding on shock mounts wether using coilovers or not. I was going to do this mainly for clearance on the frame side mounts.

A picture of what I mean.
Those are 2 different items in the pictures? Frame side mounts? Maybe Im misunderstanding.

Quick Reply: Longarm kits compared/contrasted