Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Seat help

Old 07-23-2014, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Seat help

Didn't know where to put this

Here is the issue:
I'm 6'5 and I have 2 herniated discs in my neck and driving my Jeep aggravates it. I've analyzed why and here is what I've come up with.
When I set the seat all the way back and recline so I'm comfortable my head is hitting the sound/roll bar so I scrunch my neck down. I have reclined it less so I'm not doing this, but I sit up so high that I'm looking out of the very top of the windshield, so I naturally crane my neck forward and down to have better natural viability.

I'm thinking that some aftermarket seats might be the solution and this is where the help is needed. Are suspension seats not as thick in the seat area as stockers? Can the seats be mounted so they are not sitting as high up or be further back?
Leg room in the back is a non-issue since I've taken that single section of back seat out.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Didn't know where to put this

Here is the issue:
I'm 6'5 and I have 2 herniated discs in my neck and driving my Jeep aggravates it. I've analyzed why and here is what I've come up with.
When I set the seat all the way back and recline so I'm comfortable my head is hitting the sound/roll bar so I scrunch my neck down. I have reclined it less so I'm not doing this, but I sit up so high that I'm looking out of the very top of the windshield, so I naturally crane my neck forward and down to have better natural viability.

I'm thinking that some aftermarket seats might be the solution and this is where the help is needed. Are suspension seats not as thick in the seat area as stockers? Can the seats be mounted so they are not sitting as high up or be further back?
Leg room in the back is a non-issue since I've taken that single section of back seat out.
Take a look at this. I don't have any experience with them, but it looks like it is a product that may meet your needs.

http://m.quadratec.com/products/prod...pid=24290+2003

After looking a bit closer, it looks like this bracket moves the seat back about 4 inches, but not down at all.
You might call them to see if they can make a bracket that is lower as well.

Last edited by maxspongebob; 07-23-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm assuming you have your seat adjusted all the way down. If not, use the lever on the side of the seat base to crank it as low as it goes. Ratchet the lever down to move down. Otherwise, you're just a big dude and I have nothing else to offer. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by maxspongebob
Take a look at this. I don't have any experience with them, but it looks like it is a product that may meet your needs.

Misch 4x4 Products BigBoy Driver Side Bracket | Jeep Parts and Accessories | Quadratec

After looking a bit closer, it looks like this bracket moves the seat back about 4 inches, but not down at all.
You might call them to see if they can make a bracket that is lower as well.
Yea, looked at it, I probably need both down & back because if it was just lowered, it would reduce my leg room. Wouldn't hurt to call them though and see.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 14Sport
I'm assuming you have your seat adjusted all the way down. If not, use the lever on the side of the seat base to crank it as low as it goes. Ratchet the lever down to move down. Otherwise, you're just a big dude and I have nothing else to offer. Good luck.
Yea, I got it ratcheted down. Wish that was the solution.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Yea, I got it ratcheted down. Wish that was the solution.
Did you see this thread?
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...gerous-138741/
Old 07-24-2014, 03:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by maxspongebob
WOW, more of an issue than I thought. Thanks for the link!
Old 07-24-2014, 03:52 AM
JK Freak

if you had drank more caffene as a growing child you could have stunted your growth, too late now. you can easily gain a little space if you take down the sound bar from the roll cage, im not sure if its enough room or not, but would let you see if removing 1-2 inches that it does helps, if it does help you can remount the missing speakers under the seats somewhere, or go without them for safety/comfort, they arent too hard to remount under the driver/passenger or rear seat though.

Quick Reply: Need Seat help