Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New drag link and ball joints

Old 03-24-2016, 05:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ajeeper
I am doubting they have tested their carbon fiber tie rod in the rocks. Lol
Agreed. Just want him to explain it to me like I'm a 5 year old.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
Agreed. Just want him to explain it to me like I'm a 5 year old.
Lmao. Looking forward to hearing his response.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

If I go with the beefier drag link will I have to upgrade other parts of the steering right away. Eventually yes I will upgrade more of it but going to do it as it breaks
Old 03-24-2016, 08:29 PM
JK Super Freak

I have a MetalCloak draglink coming to replace the one EVO supplies with their draglink flipkit... which wasn't worth a cent.
Looking forward to the metalcloak stuff and might be adding more of their parts over the next year.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:08 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by blamb0830
If I go with the beefier drag link will I have to upgrade other parts of the steering right away. Eventually yes I will upgrade more of it but going to do it as it breaks
Only if you flip it will you also need a raised TB bracket. A rear raised bracket as well if you dont have one already. 3" bumpstop as well.
Stock position no you wont need anything else.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:26 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Only joint i would install now is Rare parts. Contact Fusion4x4, i warn you they are pricey but the last joint you will ever buy.

Drag link, pick your poison. Synergy is popular, SteerSmarts, prob overkill for most people but massive.
Actually they are not that good of a joint. Curry has been using them on their stuff for years and are very expensive to replace. They will actually bend in the threaded area of the joint itself. I have had this happen and had one cartridge that blew the top out causing slop in the joint. Cost around $200 for the replacement joint. They are also very heavy if weight is a concern. Just my 2 cents. For the money and hits I have had very good results with the ruff stuff kit which you can typically buy on one of their sales for around $125. Synergy seems to be a good option too but have never run the tie rod. Their drag link and track bars are holding up well on my rig.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:56 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Actually they are not that good of a joint. Curry has been using them on their stuff for years and are very expensive to replace. They will actually bend in the threaded area of the joint itself. I have had this happen and had one cartridge that blew the top out causing slop in the joint. Cost around $200 for the replacement joint. They are also very heavy if weight is a concern. Just my 2 cents. For the money and hits I have had very good results with the ruff stuff kit which you can typically buy on one of their sales for around $125. Synergy seems to be a good option too but have never run the tie rod. Their drag link and track bars are holding up well on my rig.
RP Ball joint, but yea, ive heard that about the RP/Currie tie rod joint. Prob from you, no personal experience with them myself.

Last edited by kjeeper10; 03-25-2016 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:27 AM
Former Vendor

Did you know that the Metalcloak tie rod bends? Someone posted a picture on Wayalife. I'm surprised they didn't recall all of them.

Let's clear this up a little. First, the cartridges have a lifetime warranty. If one fails, we'll replace it for FREE.

Second, if any cartridges have failed, it is not documented. Rare Parts has not sent out a replacement cartridge in the last five years.

Third, the only reason anyone ever suggested to carry a spare is that the design allows the convenience of it. Same joint at all four ends of the steering. Anyone can destroy a tie rod end dropping 5 ft down onto a rock. I think it is pretty cool that this product lets you drive home after that happens, rather than parking your Jeep and searching for a new tie rod or having to pay to get it trailered home.

As Dirtman noted, the Ruff Stuff is an option (Dirtman, you wouldn't have bent a stock tie rod either since your Jeep has been parked for how long? ). We happen to use those ends on our one ton tie rod. We are up front about those ends. We do not warranty them. They are disposable ends and not designed to last very long. When they wear out, you have to spend over $40/end to replace them.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:56 AM
JK Junkie

After WAL put MC on blast they revised the tie rod. Same goes with this situation im sure ... smh
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1994262320.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	641789  
Old 03-25-2016, 09:25 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
After WAL put MC on blast they revised the tie rod. Same goes with this situation im sure ... smh
They do have new TREs, but I think it is still the same DOM tube, unless they increased the wall. It is 1.375 OD with a .375" wall. Obviously, it will bend, especially with a healthy dose of hydro assist on it. However, Metalcloak (just as we do) stands behind their product. Parts will fail. We've used their parts in the past and if there was a failure, there was a replacement in the mail the same day.

As for the upper CA, there is only so much that can be done with stock designs. It isn't the control arm, it is the use case. Cut the crap stock mount off and weld a real link mount on and use a legit control arm end. I think every aftermarket upper arm uses the same type and thickness of steel that bent on the arm in the picture. Pretty ridiculous if someone implied it was a MC issue. They'd have bent any other arm the same way. I'm guessing install error on that one.

Quick Reply: New drag link and ball joints