Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New drag link and ball joints

Old 03-25-2016, 09:39 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Jeep has not been parked, but limited use over the last 2 years while I was building the new house. Since installing the ruff stuff tie rod I only have about 30 hard wheeling trips. Glad to see you warrantee your cartridges Currie did not. Do you warrantee the actual TRE? The design lends itself to bending, Currie charged me $120 for one replacement TRE. I would rather replace a 4' piece of DOM (around $30) rather then spend that much again on a TRE. I still have the bent tre and the cartridge, maybe you could get them warranted.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plus i cant see that being a issue. Bolted up its clamped to the bushing on the axle. Looks like he had some binding going on, the CA's were not set up correctly.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:45 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Jeep has not been parked, but limited use over the last 2 years while I was building the new house. Since installing the ruff stuff tie rod I only have about 30 hard wheeling trips. Glad to see you warrantee your cartridges Currie did not. Do you warrantee the actual TRE? The design lends itself to bending, Currie charged me $120 for one replacement TRE. I would rather replace a 4' piece of DOM (around $30) rather then spend that much again on a TRE. I still have the bent tre and the cartridge, maybe you could get them warranted.
We warranty the TRE as well. We are also looking at various options to change things up. We have a custom forging we use for the 05+ super duty D60. We could certainly shorten the JK forging up and use a longer stick of 7075.

If you do ever bend that stick of DOM, let us know and we'll get you a stick of 1.5" solid 7075 to replace it. You'd make for good field testing.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Good to know. Its nice to see someone stand behind their products. I like your use of the aluminum for weight reduction on these heavy rigs.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I agree with you Dirtman, when we fatigue tested the Currie tie rod assembly it failed just after 30,000 cycles compared to production that ran over 120,000 cycles. Plus, it was a oversized forging that interfered with the heat shield and only fit certain sized wheels. The seals were made from a felt type material that would only keep out small rocks from contaminating the bearing pocket.
Like Ken was saying earlier, you can limp of a trail after bending a tube but not to easy when you loose a knuckle connection. And, like what you said, tubes are less expensive to replace.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:40 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Compliant
I agree with you Dirtman, when we fatigue tested the Currie tie rod assembly it failed just after 30,000 cycles compared to production that ran over 120,000 cycles. Plus, it was a oversized forging that interfered with the heat shield and only fit certain sized wheels. The seals were made from a felt type material that would only keep out small rocks from contaminating the bearing pocket.
Like Ken was saying earlier, you can limp of a trail after bending a tube but not to easy when you loose a knuckle connection. And, like what you said, tubes are less expensive to replace.
You keep missing the point. This is an industry where people are running 150lbs of 40" wheels/tires at each corner and slamming them into rocks every weekend and multiplying leverage with hydro assist rams.

No one will ever make it to 30k cycles. These aren't Honda Civics that are being babied for 1mm miles.

Yeah, can you limp off the trail with a bent tie rod? Sure. How exactly does that person get home? The Rare Parts ends are not failing. If you want to make comments that they are, then you need to back it up with real data.

In addition, your cycle tests mean nothing. You skipped the part about using an independent lab and ensuring that the test in no way biased your parts. You are new to this industry, but comments like that aren't well received. Search around about the time ARB did a test to show they had a stronger locker and broke a Yukon. It didn't go well for ARB, especially after Yukon came back and proved their test was BS.

Lastly, we stand behind our product and will warranty the ends and any other part of steering product. So, let's see you put it in writing. Stand behind your product and tell everyone that you will provide a lifetime warranty against worn joints and bent tie rods.

In fact, we'd be happy to use your ends for our 1 ton steering. Sell us your ends wholesale and we will use the aluminum that you dislike. You only gain business that way. Some people just want aluminum.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I agree with you Dirtman, when we fatigue tested the Currie tie rod assembly it failed just after 30,000 cycles compared to production that ran over 120,000 cycles. Plus, it was a oversized forging that interfered with the heat shield and only fit certain sized wheels. The seals were made from a felt type material that would only keep out small rocks from contaminating the bearing pocket. Like Ken was saying earlier, you can limp of a trail after bending a tube but not to easy when you loose a knuckle connection. And, like what you said, tubes are less expensive to replace.
So do you have any real unbiased testing to prove your products are superior to others on the market?? Any real evidence that the rare parts tie rod ends fail when you claim they do??
Old 03-26-2016, 04:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ken, I have 13 development engineers in Ohio and 3 in our R&D facility located in Plymouth, Michigan just looking for projects. We have been looking at Carbon Fiber for some time now. Very strong and light, corvette uses it and has been using a lot of it over many years. We are going to make a few and test them to see if it's worth doing.
I'll have videos of our 4 wheel steering JK 2 door on our steer smarts YouTube site next week. It's a lot of fun to drive.
Compliant
I'm right next door in Livonia, MI.

Where in Plymouth? I'd love to stop by

Last edited by JayswranglerX; 03-26-2016 at 04:16 AM.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fusion 4x4

You keep missing the point. This is an industry where people are running 150lbs of 40" wheels/tires at each corner and slamming them into rocks every weekend and multiplying leverage with hydro assist rams.

No one will ever make it to 30k cycles. These aren't Honda Civics that are being babied for 1mm miles.

Yeah, can you limp off the trail with a bent tie rod? Sure. How exactly does that person get home? The Rare Parts ends are not failing. If you want to make comments that they are, then you need to back it up with real data.

In addition, your cycle tests mean nothing. You skipped the part about using an independent lab and ensuring that the test in no way biased your parts. You are new to this industry, but comments like that aren't well received. Search around about the time ARB did a test to show they had a stronger locker and broke a Yukon. It didn't go well for ARB, especially after Yukon came back and proved their test was BS.

Lastly, we stand behind our product and will warranty the ends and any other part of steering product. So, let's see you put it in writing. Stand behind your product and tell everyone that you will provide a lifetime warranty against worn joints and bent tie rods.

In fact, we'd be happy to use your ends for our 1 ton steering. Sell us your ends wholesale and we will use the aluminum that you dislike. You only gain business that way. Some people just want aluminum.
This is why I'm picking up one of those big ass tie rods very soon. My stockers is shot on both ends and I want light and strong!
Old 03-26-2016, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Synergy drag link kit on mine. KOH race car shop I use for some of my work only sells Synergy. They might know a thing or two about required strength of components.

Quick Reply: New drag link and ball joints