Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New Gears Installed on Rubicon - Now Rear Locker Indicator Blinks

Old 04-10-2010, 06:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Gears Installed on Rubicon - Now Rear Locker Indicator Blinks

I have an 09 Unlimited Rubicon automatic. New gears where installed last week. I took the jeep out today and locked the axles. Everything seemed ok and worked fine as far as I know while in 4 low. But, when I attempted to unlock the axles the indicator light kept flashing. I put it in 4hi then 2 wheel drive and the light just kept flashing. I turned the ignition off, restarted and the indicator light kept flashing. In fact, it is still flashing. When I got to the pavement I did a hard left hand turn and went in a few circles. I am pretty confident the locker is NOT locked. Has anyone had this issue? I will obviously be taking it back to the guy who installed the gears but looking for any suggestions to save time with him trying to figure it out.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:46 PM
JK Freak

Others have had this problem. Did you try doing a search?

Check out these threads:
Rubicon regeared, rear locker issue
Locker light problem
5.38's ARB diff covers Now lockers will not engage - Please Help
Old 04-10-2010, 08:01 PM
JK Freak

Common issue caused by inexperienced installer. check the above mentioned threads. Locker needs to come back out and have plunger installed properly.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:41 PM
JK Newbie

Default This may be a new twist

I took my jeep back to the guy who installed my gears. I am not sure what to make of this. The initial issue was that the indicator light for the rear locker blinked continuously even when in 2 wheel drive. When I picked it up today the locker indicator light appeared to indicate that the lockers could be locked in 4 hi. According to the indicator light I can engage and disengage the lockers even in 4 hi. I test drove it in the parking lot which consists of gravel. It appears that the lockers do in fact engage in 4 hi. Has anyone else experienced this? The manual says the lockers can only be engaged if in 4 low.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:06 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by JKChuck
I took my jeep back to the guy who installed my gears. I am not sure what to make of this. The initial issue was that the indicator light for the rear locker blinked continuously even when in 2 wheel drive. When I picked it up today the locker indicator light appeared to indicate that the lockers could be locked in 4 hi. According to the indicator light I can engage and disengage the lockers even in 4 hi. I test drove it in the parking lot which consists of gravel. It appears that the lockers do in fact engage in 4 hi. Has anyone else experienced this? The manual says the lockers can only be engaged if in 4 low.
So, you are saying the light behaves normally now, except you can engage the lockers in 4lo and 4hi? The light now comes on steady when locked, and goes out when unlocked?

When you went back, did the guy do something with the t-case sensor switch?
I hate to be a pessimist, but they could have messed with it, instead of the locker switch in the diff.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:16 PM
JK Junkie

Here's some links that can help with your search....

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ubicon+lockers

Originally Posted by wayoflifette
When getting new gears, sometimes the sensor is re-installed wrong and that causes the lights to keep blinking. If the sensor is put in after the carrier is installed, then it won't function correctly.

This is what the sensor looks like when installed wrong:

This is what the sensor looks like when installed correctly:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ubicon+lockers

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...rubicon+locker

Old 04-23-2010, 07:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
So, you are saying the light behaves normally now, except you can engage the lockers in 4lo and 4hi? The light now comes on steady when locked, and goes out when unlocked?

Yes, that is what I am saying

I hate to be a pessimist, but they could have messed with it, instead of the locker switch in the diff.
I don't know if he did anything with the t-case sensor switch. He says he just adjusted the plunger/switch on the rear dif.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:02 AM
JK Newbie

Default Correction

Originally Posted by ronjenx

I posted this a little too soon. I relied on what the installer told me. Despite the fact that I left the owners manual out open to the page on the lockers and verbally explained the procedure he didn't look at it. I tested it this morning myself. The lights merely blink as they are supposed to if in 4hi. In 4low the front indicator lights goes solid but the rear continues to blink. However, it feels like the rear is locked. I will be taking it to the dealer this week.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:07 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by JKChuck
I posted this a little too soon. I relied on what the installer told me. Despite the fact that I left the owners manual out open to the page on the lockers and verbally explained the procedure he didn't look at it. I tested it this morning myself. The lights merely blink as they are supposed to if in 4hi. In 4low the front indicator lights goes solid but the rear continues to blink. However, it feels like the rear is locked. I will be taking it to the dealer this week.
I bet you will find the locker sensor was not properly installed. The link and pictures in post six are all about that.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:31 PM
JK Newbie

Default Inexperienced Installer Understatment

I took my jeep to a local shop that has done 4x4 work for years to have my gears replaced. It has been one fuck up after another. I left it there for a week to get the gears installed. I got the jeep back and the first weekend I used it the rear locker light kept blinking. It would not stop blinking even if I was in 2hi. I took it back to the shop and he had the jeep for three days. I even armed him with the manual flippted open to the page describing how the electronic lockers work and postings from this forum about how this appeared to be a switch issue. He reported to me that the jeep locker engaged even in 4 hi. I got the jeep home and I can only assume he reached that conclusion because the locker lights were blinking. I explained to him that the blinking indicated you selected to engage the lockers but that they were not engaged because the conditions were not right e.g. not in 4 low. However, the rear lockers locked if you put them in 4 low even if you did not press the button to engage them. The lights quit blinking but tonight I attempted to engage the 4 wheel drive and the transfer case lever just went straight down with no tension and would NOT engage in 4 wheel drive. How bad has he fucked up my jeep?

Quick Reply: New Gears Installed on Rubicon - Now Rear Locker Indicator Blinks