Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short Arm vs. Long Arm for JK 35" and Fox 2.5 FS DCS

Old 09-15-2015, 12:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short Arm vs. Long Arm for JK 35" and Fox 2.5 FS DCS

Hi All,

I know there are many topics on lifts but I wanted to post my conditions and get feedback. I have a 2012 JK that just got new 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers and I have the Fox 2.5 Factor Series DCS Adjuster (for a lift of 2.5"-4" - Part Numbers 883-26-015 and 883-26-016) with an existing 3" lift. I want to have a better ride as a daily driver but I don't like the idea of smacking every rock when I go off-roading. With the current limiting factor of the shock (I think), do I go with a 4" Long arm kit (EVO or Teraflex) or just do a 4" Short arm with adjustable arms? I don't mind going up to a 37" but I just purchased these puppies (Note: I have PS Flat Fenders now). Most of my riding is trail riding with the occasional rock crawling when I see it and now that I'm not going to bottom out too bad. Sure I can get more skids but the arms in my opinion may hang low on a 4" lift not mentioning the already low points at the shock mounts. Anyways, I really do want that slight better ride and I have great shocks at the moment (very noticeable and can dial in). Yes I can go to 4.5" but then everything goes (tires, shocks, driveshaft (which may need to for 4"). Any thoughts on this?
Old 09-15-2015, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Short adjustable arms are fine. Unless you go over 5" long arms really not relevant.

If your worried about arms hanging up, the RockKrawler adjustable arms are great.

Last edited by BeachJK; 09-15-2015 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BeachJK
Short adjustable arms are fine. Unless you go over 5" long arms really not relevant.

If your worried about arms hanging up, the RockKrawler adjustable arms are great.
I like the RK kits but they are 3.5" and then 5.5". Is it possible to sub in 4" EVO shocks on the 3.5" kit? I heard the RK kits sit low and the springs are soft as well. Is that true?

If I do a short arm kit, which one is good for the ride as well as off-road?
Old 09-15-2015, 05:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by caryo12
Hi All,

I know there are many topics on lifts but I wanted to post my conditions and get feedback. I have a 2012 JK that just got new 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers and I have the Fox 2.5 Factor Series DCS Adjuster (for a lift of 2.5"-4" - Part Numbers 883-26-015 and 883-26-016) with an existing 3" lift. I want to have a better ride as a daily driver but I don't like the idea of smacking every rock when I go off-roading. With the current limiting factor of the shock (I think), do I go with a 4" Long arm kit (EVO or Teraflex) or just do a 4" Short arm with adjustable arms? I don't mind going up to a 37" but I just purchased these puppies (Note: I have PS Flat Fenders now). Most of my riding is trail riding with the occasional rock crawling when I see it and now that I'm not going to bottom out too bad. Sure I can get more skids but the arms in my opinion may hang low on a 4" lift not mentioning the already low points at the shock mounts. Anyways, I really do want that slight better ride and I have great shocks at the moment (very noticeable and can dial in). Yes I can go to 4.5" but then everything goes (tires, shocks, driveshaft (which may need to for 4"). Any thoughts on this?
Are you saying you have the Fox Internal ByPass adjustable shocks and don't like the on road ride?
Old 09-15-2015, 07:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by VETTETHRET
Are you saying you have the Fox Internal ByPass adjustable shocks and don't like the on road ride?
I wish! I have one down from the Internal ByPass (Jeep Wrangler JK 2015-2010 Front Shock - 2.5 Factory Series Reservoir - DSC Adjuster Smooth Body Shock | FOX). Purchased this one just before the internal bypass in this style came out (plus they are much less). Don't get me wrong, the ride is vastly improved, but I do think the kit I have is a limiting factor in the ride. I have seen a few forums of people using the RK kits with the EVO shocks. I was wanting to get just a little more ground clearance with a 4" and use the RK since the arms are tucked in and out of the way versus the others. Plus I can still maintain a low COG. Any thoughts on going that route?
Old 09-15-2015, 07:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's my understanding that the Fox shocks can be a little on the stiff side. With that said, I run the 2.5 internal bypass adjustable shocks with Currie 4-inch springs and I absolutely love the ride both on and off road. The Currie springs are a little on the soft side, so the combination is perfect.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you like the EVO springs, run them with the RK arms. The LCA are solid and great for on and off road. I've had the 3.5 RK mid arm lift and the 5.5 Long arm. I think you would be very happy with the 3.5 springs. Most actually get about 4". Just depends how heavy your rig is, and they are dual rated coils. I ran the RK 3.5 with 37s and the on and off road drivability I thought was great.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:46 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi All,

4" of lift for 35" Tires and flat fenders is a bit more than you need. You may end up looking like a rollerskate with that much lift/tire size. We recommend 2.5" or 3.5" max with our systems and 37" Tires and Flat fenders. For 35" tires we recommend 1.5" lift. The benefits of a low center of gravity really outweigh belly clearance (on and off road). If you're only doing the occasional rock crawling I would highly recommend keeping your current lift height.

Is your current setup bottoming out frequently now? If so, what setting do you have those shock on?
Old 09-16-2015, 08:41 AM
JK Freak

I wish! I have one down from the Internal ByPass (Jeep Wrangler JK 2015-2010 Front Shock - 2.5 Factory Series Reservoir - DSC Adjuster Smooth Body Shock | FOX). Purchased this one just before the internal bypass in this style came out (plus they are much less). Don't get me wrong, the ride is vastly improved, but I do think the kit I have is a limiting factor in the ride. I have seen a few forums of people using the RK kits with the EVO shocks. I was wanting to get just a little more ground clearance with a 4" and use the RK since the arms are tucked in and out of the way versus the others. Plus I can still maintain a low COG. Any thoughts on going that route?
Scared me for a minute, getting ready to pull the trigger on the Internal Bypasses myself!
Old 09-16-2015, 09:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension
4" of lift for 35" Tires and flat fenders is a bit more than you need. You may end up looking like a rollerskate with that much lift/tire size. We recommend 2.5" or 3.5" max with our systems and 37" Tires and Flat fenders. For 35" tires we recommend 1.5" lift. The benefits of a low center of gravity really outweigh belly clearance (on and off road). If you're only doing the occasional rock crawling I would highly recommend keeping your current lift height.

Is your current setup bottoming out frequently now? If so, what setting do you have those shock on?
I have a fair amount of weight on my system. The current 3" is ok but I do hit the center rear axle, rear lower shock mounts, and occasionally the center skid of the jeep. I'm not looking to go big or high, I just want to get a bit more lift with still a low COG but with a better ride on street (if there is much). Simple bumps on the road at lower speeds shouldn't jar me as much (at least I don't think so). The Fox shocks helped a great deal but it still is not what I'm hoping. Off-road it is actually pretty smooth (I have the adjusters dialed in pretty soft - I could increase it and it should help on the bottoming). I was looking to get a 4" assuming it would settle down to about 3.5" which I didn't think would make the 35" look tiny. So are you saying if I go 3.5 or 4, I will need to go up to the 37"? I have 4.88 gearing now and I was not looking to redo that for the larger tires.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	439.1 KB
ID:	624683

Quick Reply: Short Arm vs. Long Arm for JK 35" and Fox 2.5 FS DCS