Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering troubles

Old 01-24-2015, 08:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering troubles

Lately when I turn a sharp left when moving or turn my steering wheel left and than right it knocks, clicks or something as if the turning goes really soft like dead spots. Today i was driving and I was taking a sharper left turn. The jeep made a click knock noise and the steering wheel went soft as if the steering wheel was turning but not the wheels. Any idea what could be causing this? I'm running 35s which I had for years no issues, have a 3.5lift kit installed. Bushings looked a little worn before the lift kit install, but no issues started only about 2 weeks after the lift was out on. I never had steering problems only a click or knock that would come and go. I only started the steering problems today. Need help anyone have ideas? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-963053661.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	593511  
Old 01-24-2015, 08:45 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Stuck to the top of the Write-ups area is a good Deathwobble Diagnosis. Wouldn't hurt to go through it to verify worn components and bolt torque.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:18 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

Check your track bar.... if its loose it might pop or snap. Cheap... easy to fix

U-joint... maybe, but if so you will know real soon.

Sector shaft.... it might be damaged... again... you will know that real soon... if it snaps you will have no steering.

tie rod end that is out of greese or worn?

Lose control arms....

...a number of things!
Old 01-25-2015, 07:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

May have found my problem? This area is were the track bar connects too it snapped at the weld. Could this be causing everything?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2746259096.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	593555  
Old 01-25-2015, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks like my bottom weld and top weld is broken, the area on the right of the axle appears to want to break too the bracket area. This is what must be causing my issues. There are two dang screws or bolts that needed to go on the left of the braket during lift kit install. Looks like someone didn't do that and that's why these welds were stressed to breaking point?
Old 01-25-2015, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sunnysideup
Check your track bar.... if its loose it might pop or snap. Cheap... easy to fix U-joint... maybe, but if so you will know real soon. Sector shaft.... it might be damaged... again... you will know that real soon... if it snaps you will have no steering. tie rod end that is out of greese or worn? Lose control arms.... ...a number of things!
I replied to your post
Old 01-26-2015, 08:55 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

This is your problem! I wouldn't travel too far until I got it fixed.... a good welder should be able to get it back in place! This happens even t ostock jk's at times! there are several reinforcement ideas out there to strengthen it... but a good welder can fix the weld, and maybe plate it heavier? This really would mess with your steering!

Last edited by Sunnysideup; 01-26-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:05 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Zone Offroad Front Track Bar Bracket Gusset J5001

here is an example of weld on supports to keep it from happening again...
Old 01-27-2015, 02:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sunnysideup
Zone Offroad Front Track Bar Bracket Gusset J5001 here is an example of weld on supports to keep it from happening again...
Thanks I'm going to get it welder tomorrow with a 300amp welder. I was thinking maybe I should remove the relocation bracket for my track bar that raises the connection to a higher point, remove the stock track bar and get a aftermarket
track bar that can be ajusted to the extra length needed to make the distance due to the extra lift? What do you think
Old 01-27-2015, 03:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jasoncinpean
Thanks I'm going to get it welder tomorrow with a 300amp welder. I was thinking maybe I should remove the relocation bracket for my track bar that raises the connection to a higher point, remove the stock track bar and get a aftermarket
track bar that can be ajusted to the extra length needed to make the distance due to the extra lift? What do you think
I actually had a similar problem! If i turned one way and let the wheel spin back (while not moving) I got the same knock. It was my trackbar as well. An adj track bar is never a bad idea IMO. I'm running the teraflex and think it's awesome. Just picking it up you will feel the biggest difference you could imagine. 5" of lift and stock mounting locations, no complaints.

Quick Reply: Steering troubles