Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Teraflex hinge rattle

Old 06-16-2015, 12:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teraflex hinge rattle

So a few months ago I installed the Teraflex hinge to support my 35" Toyo MT, still using my stock tire mount with relocation bracket. It was silent for a good while until a small rattle came back. A few spot welds on the passenger end of the tailgate are cracked, and it seems like they are slowly growing.

Would installing the Teraflex adjustable tire mount be the best solution to fix this, or would I need to get the welds fixed? I can post pictures of the cracked welds if needed
Old 06-16-2015, 12:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Edit
I'm an idiot didn't notice you already had a tflex hinge installed
I would look and see if the stock tire carrier is cracked the spot welds issue should have been solved with the tflex hinge

Last edited by The Black Jeep; 06-16-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:43 PM
JK Newbie

I personally wouldn't want to hang the 35 from the tailgate anymore if it was cracking the welds, I would probably consider moving to either a bumper mounted carrier or move the spare inside or on a rack on top.

When I went to 35s I had done research and had found way too many threads of hearing about the spot welds going out on the stock carrier so I just bit the bullet and bought a bumper mounted option.

I went with the barricade rear bumper with mount, cost around 700 dollars. And it can hold up to 37s
Old 06-16-2015, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Havok287
I personally wouldn't want to hang the 35 from the tailgate anymore if it was cracking the welds, I would probably consider moving to either a bumper mounted carrier or move the spare inside or on a rack on top. When I went to 35s I had done research and had found way too many threads of hearing about the spot welds going out on the stock carrier so I just bit the bullet and bought a bumper mounted option. I went with the barricade rear bumper with mount, cost around 700 dollars. And it can hold up to 37s
The Teraflex tire carrier works perfect. I don't know why everyone who has 35" or bigger tires doesn't have one. I have had mine for over a year with a 37" Nitto Trail Grappler mounted to it. Not a rattle, squeak or even the slightest wiggle and I use my Jeep in all conditions. It takes all of the weight off of the gate. Perfect design in my opinion!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2885668690.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	473.3 KB
ID:	615040
Old 06-16-2015, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

"I don't know why everyone who has 35" or bigger tires doesn't have one."

I'm going to guess it's the $700-$800 price.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not cheap. I think I paid $600 for the hinge and carrier and that may be the cheapest I have seen. Before this I had the AEV tire carrier. The AEV takes all the weight off the gate and is stronger as is any one of the other ones that do that, but the TF does have one advantage at least- it holds the tire really close to the tailgate and helps me park in my garage and still give me room to walk in front of the JKU. When I bought the hinge, I went ahead and bought the beefier-than-stock carrier too. The last thing I wanted was for the stock carrier to crack and release the 35" MT on the highway, to take someone out.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:40 AM
JK Freak

Iv had a 37" tire hanging off my tailgate for 2 years now. And the only problem iv encoubtered is my door lock broke and that was do to a lot of rough driving. And having no bump stop exstensions.

Maybe look into getting a carrier again from kijji or craigslist and see how long itll last before cracking. I am sure you can find one free or cheap.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnInPaso
"I don't know why everyone who has 35" or bigger tires doesn't have one."

I'm going to guess it's the $700-$800 price.
True and maybe because every other week guys were selling theirs out here(might just be the older models where the welds were F'n cracking).
People prefer different looks too for their 35 and 37" tires..... Maybe it works for some and their jeeps and that's fine but I prefer a different look myself. Love my Genright
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-21946996.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	541.5 KB
ID:	615090   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4161448953.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	563.8 KB
ID:	615091   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-98334295.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	509.8 KB
ID:	615092  
Old 06-17-2015, 06:49 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
True and maybe because every other week guys were selling theirs out here(might just be the older models where the welds were F'n cracking).
People prefer different looks too for their 35 and 37" tires..... Maybe it works for some and their jeeps and that's fine but I prefer a different look myself. Love my Genright
I think it was an early limited run that had weld issues and apparently TF was replacing those ones. I have had mine for over 2 years and 60,000 miles with lots of off road use and no issues. But I agree lots of good choices and variety is what makes the world go round.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:47 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TaylarsJK
So a few months ago I installed the Teraflex hinge to support my 35" Toyo MT, still using my stock tire mount with relocation bracket. It was silent for a good while until a small rattle came back. A few spot welds on the passenger end of the tailgate are cracked, and it seems like they are slowly growing.

Would installing the Teraflex adjustable tire mount be the best solution to fix this, or would I need to get the welds fixed? I can post pictures of the cracked welds if needed
I would suggest that you get your tailgate repaired first. Now using a TeraFlex Adjustabe Mount will allow you to pull the spare closer to the tailgate. Which will lessen the amount of leverage that is on it when compared to the stock unit.

Quick Reply: Teraflex hinge rattle