Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex LCA's broken zerks

Old 09-19-2010, 06:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Teraflex LCA's broken zerks

So I just got a set of LCA's about two weeks ago. After installed I noticed that the zerks are in there pretty tightly (see pics). Well, today I noticed that one of them is missing! I assume it broke off when the dealer had it on the lift because other than that, it's just been driven to/from work!!!

But the big question is, NOW WHAT?!!

Driver's side:

Passenger side:

Here you can see that there is not a scratch on the rest of the LCA.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be glad there gone...Teraflex uses absolute junk jerk fittings.

Take all the rest of them out and replace them with some quality ones.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So what's next? Drop the LCA and somehow remove the broken zerk and get a replacement (from where? what size?)?

Oy.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:27 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to a parts store and got a mix and match package of zerks to replace mine. Best thing to do is put needle zerks. I've broken off several reg ones. Drop the arm for the one on top, if you get lucky, u can twist it out with needle nose pliers, otherwise you'll need to get an easy out bit from a parts store.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:38 AM
JK Newbie

I broke a zerk just installing my TF front lower control arms yesterday. The supplied angled fittings are just too big for the small amount of space in the control arm mount, IMO.

The broken piece was a total PITA to get out. After much failure and cursing, I ended up lightly driving an allen wrench into the stub which gripped enough that I could twist it out.

For the time being I robbed a zerk from an unused set of sway bar links. But the replacement isn't angled and I'll have to drop the CA just to lube it... so I'd like to find a better solution. Are needle zerks smaller?
Old 09-20-2010, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just helped a fellow forum member install a teraflex leveling kit and had the same problem with the zerks on the new front sway bar links. 3 of the 4 broke right off after greasing them. Definitly junk fittings.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bigljking
I just helped a fellow forum member install a teraflex leveling kit and had the same problem with the zerks on the new front sway bar links. 3 of the 4 broke right off after greasing them. Definitly junk fittings.

Yup that member would be me. I thougth it may have been me on the first one, but it blew my mind that the others snapped off while removing the grease gun. I looked and it appeared that they were not in all the way which made them even more fragile. Unless I can use an easy out bit, mine are in to stay. Frankly I don't feel like I have to take the time to put in new ones since the kit was brand new.
I sent an e-mail to Teraflex so hopefully I will hear back from them soon.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:55 AM
JK Freak

Here is a thread I had going about the same problem.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...sway-bar-links

Like mentioned, just go buy some new ones at an auto parts store. The variety packs are like $3 or $4 or something like that I think.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:57 PM
JK Super Freak

I would hope that Teraflex comes good on the issues they are having. It doesn't seem right that everyone is having to fix the problem themselves especially if the product is brand new.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:38 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i guess they changed something, cause i got a set of front lca's last week and there is a straight zerk on it. not an angled one like adam posted... i cant get my grease gun on the zerk with the arm on though, so to grease i have to drop the one end...kinda a PITA.. mkjeep has a great idea useing neddle ones..
and as he said u can go to most parts stores and get an assorted box of zerk sizes...
joe at teraflex also told me u can switch the zerk to the other side where the empty hole is also..
i would definately ditch the angled zerks and use something else... they prob hit the top of the bracket..

Quick Reply: Teraflex LCA's broken zerks