Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on intakes

Old 11-26-2014, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on intakes

What are yalls thoughts on a cold air intake? What are some of the other projects that go along with adding a CAI
Old 11-26-2014, 10:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly they are pointless. They make a jeep more vulnerable to hydrolock. They make the intake sound a little louder. You will get minimal performance improvements. If you off-road I recommend a snorkel with a K&N drop in filter.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 11-26-2014, 01:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well. I would kind of agree. Cai opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one. I have ave that uses stock rubber fitting and is totally sealed and have axel back cheapo exhaust and Diablo canes tune and I can break my ATS lose and bark second and power increase is there. But I think it's a combo of all 3. The real s creat sauce is getting custom tune. Canes tunes historically suck. They run them safe as possible pig rich and don't every motor is different. Caned tune to custom tune is night and day. I am working on getting custom tune and got one from johna who works at Diablo but working with a tunner with a lot of. Penstar experience. He told me the only difference between challenger/charger penstar and ours is exhaust and tune. And challenger guys are seeing nice increase with custom tunes. So i think potential is there to gain serious power with corr car set up. Problem is Diablo tunner is screwing up jeeps left and right and they seem to not care. Good news is sct now has a tunner out and they Bought bull dog. Sct is top notch and so I am getting more info. So not really a Cai response but a power reply.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Learo2000GT
Well. I would kind of agree. Cai opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one. I have ave that uses stock rubber fitting and is totally sealed and have axel back cheapo exhaust and Diablo canes tune and I can break my ATS lose and bark second and power increase is there. But I think it's a combo of all 3. The real s creat sauce is getting custom tune. Canes tunes historically suck. They run them safe as possible pig rich and don't every motor is different. Caned tune to custom tune is night and day. I am working on getting custom tune and got one from johna who works at Diablo but working with a tunner with a lot of. Penstar experience. He told me the only difference between challenger/charger penstar and ours is exhaust and tune. And challenger guys are seeing nice increase with custom tunes. So i think potential is there to gain serious power with corr car set up. Problem is Diablo tunner is screwing up jeeps left and right and they seem to not care. Good news is sct now has a tunner out and they Bought bull dog. Sct is top notch and so I am getting more info. So not really a Cai response but a power reply.
With all due respect, your first couple of sentences make it sound like your exhaust, intake, and tuner gave your jk Mustang Gt power.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for halls response
Old 11-26-2014, 08:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

My stock Rubi will bark the tires on the second gear shift when I get mad enough in traffic. Never tried to break them loose off the line, it's not a race car! Haha!

I've never really been a fan of a CAI on anything. Usually just makes for more noise and helps you gather more hot air from the engine bay. But like the other guy said we all have our own options.

Happy Jeeping!
Old 11-26-2014, 08:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 11-27-2014, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-182856399.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	585842

No hydrolock nor hot air in mine, if you like it get it!
Old 11-27-2014, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Two guys in my group hydrolocked with CAI. If water is in your travels, I'd stay clear. Ya have to remember, the belt throws water, so you don't need to be that high to get water to the intake level, and a CAI without a guard around it is prone.
Another vote for Snorkel and K&N drop it
Old 11-27-2014, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another vote for snorkel and drop in. Not only is it safer when fording water (or cruising through large puddles), it will pull actual cool air as opposed to hot air from the engine bay. Think about it: do you want air from the area with the large machine that makes fire or from the outside of the vehicle? Granted you will encounter some heat soak as the air moves into the engine bay but it will be drastically less than air pulled from inside said engine bay. Just my two cents...

Last edited by yellowtj02; 11-27-2014 at 10:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on intakes