Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire help please

Old 02-05-2016, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire help please

I'm kind of torn between a couple. Bfgoodrich KM2 and Cooper STT PRO.
I was running 37/12.50 Trail grapplers but I'd like to drop to a 35 just for daily driving and more wheel travel.
I wheels are 17x10 and weigh in at around 38# so I was also wanting to lighten up a little. Buddy has had really good luck with his 35" KM2. He went to black bear pass/Imogene 3 times and one trip with me to SMORR here in Missouri. Tires did great and still look really good.
Coopers have a nice review though and I know are fairly new but for the price they seem like a worthy candidate with what I have read about them.

I have a 2014 rubicon with 3.5"/x factor and flat fenders. Has 4:10 gears and automatic. Don't plan on gussets or truss anytime soon. I go play in rocks once a month probably and we may go "excavate" a duck lake from time to time.

Cooper offers 315/70/17 & 37/12.50/& 37/13.50

Bfg 35/12.50 & 37/12.50
Anyway don't know what to do. I like the 37s but when I flex I bent the rear pinch seam and bushwacker a tad
Old 02-05-2016, 03:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeeptang
I'm kind of torn between a couple. Bfgoodrich KM2 and Cooper STT PRO.
I was running 37/12.50 Trail grapplers but I'd like to drop to a 35 just for daily driving and more wheel travel.
I wheels are 17x10 and weigh in at around 38# so I was also wanting to lighten up a little. Buddy has had really good luck with his 35" KM2. He went to black bear pass/Imogene 3 times and one trip with me to SMORR here in Missouri. Tires did great and still look really good.
Coopers have a nice review though and I know are fairly new but for the price they seem like a worthy candidate with what I have read about them.

I have a 2014 rubicon with 3.5"/x factor and flat fenders. Has 4:10 gears and automatic. Don't plan on gussets or truss anytime soon. I go play in rocks once a month probably and we may go "excavate" a duck lake from time to time.

Cooper offers 315/70/17 & 37/12.50/& 37/13.50

Bfg 35/12.50 & 37/12.50
Anyway don't know what to do. I like the 37s but when I flex I bent the rear pinch seam and bushwacker a tad
I thought that after 2013 they deleted the small section of the pinch seam that we all cut off. I know I trimmed mine then filled it with JB-weld then primed and painted it.

Are you saying that you still Rub with 3.5" lift Flat fenders with 37's?

How much Backspacing are you running? 4.5" should be at least. 10" Wide wheel is too much for me but will work. I like 8.5" wide its kinda like a poor mans bead-lock.

I say go metal cloak Fenders for extra clearance.... I don't think your going to be happy going down a size. Once you get used to having a certain approach/ departure and ground clearance its tough to go back.

Last edited by Jonathan_JK; 02-05-2016 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Spelling Grammar
Old 02-05-2016, 03:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's not the pinch seam you are referring to. The rear part of the rear fender well. Bump stops could be an inch longer to correct this problem, I suppose.

17x10 beadlocks -5 offset or 4.75" bs
Old 02-05-2016, 03:50 PM
JK Junkie

It's not the pinch seam you are referring to. The rear part of the rear fender well. Bump stops could be an inch longer to correct this problem, I suppose.

17x10 beadlocks -5 offset or 4.75" bs
Yeah but if you put them in you loose upward travel.... I take it you don't want to get friendly with a sawzall and cut that out? I love working with metal because you can always add some back on. I hate working with wood because its so final. Probably thats why I became a Metalsmith/Air-framer/Welder instead of a carpenter.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I welded in high school and a semester in a tech school. Pretty basic! You need to move here, then I'll hack it up!
Old 02-05-2016, 04:11 PM
JK Junkie

I welded in high school and a semester in a tech school. Pretty basic! You need to move here, then I'll hack it up!
Just looked at my wheel well and your right... Dam tub is in the way...... I only have 8" of flex room.... Now I'm sad.. I'm going to have to drink a beer.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3724.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	636705  
Old 02-05-2016, 04:14 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

When I was looking for 37" tires a few months back, the prices on km2's had skyrocketed (I was seeing 500-600 per tire at that time). Depending on the person/shop I talked to, the reason was limited production/nationwide backorder, or they were end of life and the company is working on the km3. If you decide on the bfg, try and verify that you will be able to replace them if/when you have an issue.

I ended up with the 37/12.50/17 stt pro. (the 13.50/17 is E rated, if that matters to you)
Old 02-05-2016, 04:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just my 2cents .... For the record I use 2 sets of tires and rims .... Always use Duratracs on steel rims in winter...... But in summer I currently use 37" Goodyear MTR's w Kevlar on Trail Ready beadlock rims...... I went MTR's cause they were the lightest and a couple of my wheeling buddies really liked them on the trails (rocks). I like to change them up for fun(the MTR's are a pain to keep balanced in my case anyways). So my next tires for summer are going to be the 37" Cooper STT Pro's ..... I've liked what I've read on them so far .....
Old 02-05-2016, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=nthinuf;4184812]When I was looking for 37" tires a few months back, the prices on km2's had skyrocketed (I was seeing 500-600 per tire at that time). Depending on the person/shop I talked to, the reason was limited production/nationwide backorder, or they were end of life and the company is working on the km3. If you decide on the bfg, try and verify that you will be able to replace them if/when you have an issue.

I've only ran E rated so far. Buddy has D rated and I can't tell any wear difference and mileage was similar as well. I saw tread depot has those 37s for $300 ish a piece. So I'm sure my local shop will be close to that. They look like a good tire, I was interested in the sidewall construction.

I never thought about the production of km2
Old 02-05-2016, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
Just my 2cents .... For the record I use 2 sets of tires and rims .... Always use Duratracs on steel rims in winter...... But in summer I currently use 37" Goodyear MTR's w Kevlar on Trail Ready beadlock rims...... I went MTR's cause they were the lightest and a couple of my wheeling buddies really liked them on the trails (rocks). I like to change them up for fun(the MTR's are a pain to keep balanced in my case anyways). So my next tires for summer are going to be the 37" Cooper STT Pro's ..... I've liked what I've read on them so far .....
Yah, just one set of wheels for me. I'm trying out the Eagle alloy true beadlocks. Not really a hard core beadlock, but better then the xd monsters I had before. Also do you use balance beads or anything in your beadlocks?
Guess I'm pretty set on the Cooper, just undecided to go smaller or stay with 37s.

Quick Reply: Tire help please