Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Did the grill mod today - Home Depot part #s and write-up

Old 04-22-2012, 07:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did the grill mod today - Home Depot part #s and write-up (Pics added!)

I was going to do the side marker mod at the same time but I didn't have enough time before it got dark out.

Went to Home Depot and bought the 3 things needed for the mod. I know there's other write-ups about it but I wanted to list the part #s and the description of everything.

1) 100 pack of 1" Black Mounting Pads. $9.50. Found next to the zip ties in the electrical wiring aisle. SKU # 296167.

1 in. x 1 in. Mounting Pads (100-Pack)-296167 at The Home Depot

2) 100 pack of 4" Black Cable Ties. $3.99. SKU # 295780.

4 in. UV-Resistant Cable Ties (100-Pack)-295780 at The Home Depot

3) Three 6" x 3' Hinged Gutter Guards. @ $2.23. SKU # 808857.

6 in. x 36 in. Hinged Gutter Guard Unpainted-85280 at The Home Depot

Total cost of parts $20.18 plus tax.

I cut the gutter guards into sections 12" tall by 4" wide. Each gutter guard makes exactly 3 grill sections.
I placed two of the mounting pads on the top and bottom of each opening of the back of the grill and placed 3 mounting pads vertically in between each grill opening.

The longest part of the project is snaking the zip ties through the mounting blocks and the gutter guard pieces. I cut the first couple sections a little wider than 4" in width and there was hardly any room to work since the sections sat pretty much flush with each other. Cutting them exactly 4" in width gives a little more room to get in between the sections.

I was originally going to paint the gutter guards black but decided to keep them as-is. They look fantastic!

One thing to point out is the gutter guards have a front and back side to them. One side is slightly shinier than the other. If you want a more uniform look make sure to pay attention to which side is facing forward. I noticed it right away while I was cutting the sections to size so fortunately I didn't have to go back and re-do anything.

Last edited by wuzzzer; 05-03-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This might be a good weekend project for me next weekend, please post pictures of the final product.

Thanks
Old 04-22-2012, 10:55 PM
JK Freak

Did you take the tape off the mounting bases and use glue or epoxy? If not they will be falling off soon. I used Loctite epoxy on mine and they are SUPER solid. No pics of the finished product?
Old 04-22-2012, 11:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was after dark when I finished the project. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

I only secured the mounting blocks with the adhesive backing that's on them. Sounds like another trip to Home Depot is in order! No biggie - I bought some tin snips for the project and when I got home I realized I already had a pair so I have to return those anyway.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey man thanks for the write up and pics. I have one question though how do the black square looking things attach to the grill?? Maybe I missed it I will go read again...
Old 04-23-2012, 01:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thecoz
Hey man thanks for the write up and pics. I have one question though how do the black square looking things attach to the grill?? Maybe I missed it I will go read again...
The blocks have an adhesive on the back of them, u pull off the film and push the adhesive down. I believe its 3m but can't remember. About 2 months ago I used the exact same stuff all from
Home depot except I put a dab of gorilla glue down and pushed the block adhesive into it. Works perfect just make sure the glue dries n settles before you start tugging on the zip ties. I also used plasti dip spray on the mesh and haven't had any come off yet and I've used car wash sprayer and brush about 4 times on it. Hth
Old 04-23-2012, 02:36 PM
JK Freak

I know what my next project is and as soon as I get the time.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

bought the exact same stuff this past weekend and cut them to the same lenghts roughly except im in the procees of giving them a couple coats of black paint
Old 04-24-2012, 08:25 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by War Machine

The blocks have an adhesive on the back of them, u pull off the film and push the adhesive down. I believe its 3m but can't remember. About 2 months ago I used the exact same stuff all from
Home depot except I put a dab of gorilla glue down and pushed the block adhesive into it. Works perfect just make sure the glue dries n settles before you start tugging on the zip ties. I also used plasti dip spray on the mesh and haven't had any come off yet and I've used car wash sprayer and brush about 4 times on it. Hth
I did the same exact thing as you, added gorilla glue to the bottom of the adhesive.

Wait a couple more months and your squares will come off your sticky pads. Mine have started. My sticky pads are still glued down to the grill, but the 3M backing hasn't stayed to the plastic.

I would suggest when time comes to redo it for you, scrape off the 3M and put your glue directly to the plastic.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

I did mine over the weekend. I painted it red though.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120424_125429.jpg
Views:	4554
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	308582   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120424_125451.jpg
Views:	5087
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	308583  

Quick Reply: Did the grill mod today - Home Depot part #s and write-up