Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Synthetic vs Steel Winch Inputs?

Old 07-22-2016, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
That's some serious stuff right there. What are you towing...a barge full of political rhetoric?
Looks like he's pulling an entire gravel pit. Some jeepers drive over the gravel hills, others just winch up and pull them out of the way.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 14Sport
That's some serious stuff right there. What are you towing...a barge full of political rhetoric?
Lol, pretty much. Lots of coal for the bad kids at Christmas.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by karls10jk
3/8" and the 94' is just the right length after you pull it tight. At first it will look like it won't all fit. You've got to affix the rope to the drum which can be easy or hard depending on how the original line was attached. Once you get the first layer set (nice and tight) then you're alright to set the rest of the rope by winching in and dragging your ebrake.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361544504075

That listing does accept lower offers, I think mine was right at $124 and I had it in a week.
I made them an offer of $125.....they countered with $134. I was going to have to purchase a fairlead anyway and the Warn fairlead I was originally looking at on eBay went up in price $35>$55. So I just decided to go with this one on Amazon which looks like the same stuff, different China vendor and includes a billet aluminum fairlead for $150. We'll see how long it takes to get here, it says 5-9 business days through DHL. I'll be mounting the AEV bumper and winch this weekend. Hopefully it won't be too difficult to change out cables once it's mounted.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FU9WVE8...I1ZREWCRB30S16
Old 07-23-2016, 06:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Thats a one hell of a price for line and fairlead. Good find.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I made them an offer of $125.....they countered with $134. I was going to have to purchase a fairlead anyway and the Warn fairlead I was originally looking at on eBay went up in price $35>$55. So I just decided to go with this one on Amazon which looks like the same stuff, different China vendor and includes a billet aluminum fairlead for $150. We'll see how long it takes to get here, it says 5-9 business days through DHL. I'll be mounting the AEV bumper and winch this weekend. Hopefully it won't be too difficult to change out cables once it's mounted.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FU9WVE8...I1ZREWCRB30S16
Good price
It doesn't say if it's Dyneema or Technora rope or some other material.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:14 AM
JK Junkie

Crazy how a couple guys hate on the "plastic rope" and then buy one.

I was that guy. After using both, especially in tough recovery situations(occupation), peace of mind and safety are more important.

Thought should always go into a recovery as was stated, by some, and all this nonsense about abusing the line or thinking its conditional protection is irrelevant is funny.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sa29560
Crazy how a couple guys hate on the "plastic rope" and then buy one.
Since I'm the guy buying one, I never hated on the synth line, I just said it wasn't for me based off of information that I was provided previously.

So I'm not sure if you're trolling or really haven't read the discussion. Below is what I previously posted, just in case. If you interpret anything in what I wrote as hating on synth cable, then I will happily clear up any misunderstandings for you, unless you just enjoy trolling then I'll just leave it be.

This is one of the main reasons I decided steel was best for me. Regardless of the 1 year, 3 year, 5 year replacement, the concern is still the same. The synthetic rope will essentially dry rot due to the weather elements. The last thing I want to be faced with when I have to use my winch is to realize I can't use it because my rope is too weak to make a pull. Pretty much defeats the purpose of having a winch if you have a scenario where you may not use your winch for a long time, then to only find out when you do need to use it that you can't because the rope dry rotted.

I do prefer the safety and less weight of the synthetic rope. They need to figure out how to make synth rope that didn't become weaker and dry rot over time. However, l lean more towards less required maintenance and reliability.
Good to know. I'll switch to synth cable in the future. That actually solves another problem for me, where I wanted to use a synth line fairlead because I wanted push blocks on my front bumper and the roller fairlead sticks out too far for push blocks. Everything I read prior seemed to say you needed to replace synth cable once a year due to UV and other weather damage and if you didn't, then you risked the line breaking often and at around $300/yr for synth line cable replacement, that didn't sound like an investment trail I wanted to pursue.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jchappies
Good price
It doesn't say if it's Dyneema or Technora rope or some other material.
The vendor on eBay that Karl originally suggested has the same package deal for a couple bucks less. I'm going to make a safe assumption it's the same stuff.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-3-8-95-S...hXjJ3R&vxp=mtr

Plus the Ebay listing says Made from "DYNEEMA" and the manufacturer part numbers match on the Ebay and Amazon listings. Manufacturer Part Number A05117. It's the same stuff.

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-23-2016 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:58 AM
JK Junkie

Since I'm the guy buying one, I never hated on the synth line, I just said it wasn't for me based off of information that I was provided previously. So I'm not sure if you're trolling or really haven't read the discussion. Below is what I previously posted, just in case. If you interpret anything in what I wrote as hating on synth cable, then I will happily clear up any misunderstandings for you, unless you just enjoy trolling then I'll just leave it be.
Just ribbing ya a little bit, sarcasm is a bit hard to read Ina post. I chimed in multiple times in the thread about how people were making claims with no facts.

The best part now is, you have a good light cable for your dd. While also having a reserve rope in a bad situation. Every part on these jeeps has a duty or purpose, all of us choose what fits best.

And you did get a crazy good deal on that line.
My warn spydura was close to 300.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by JKphotoshoot
Lol, pretty much. Lots of coal for the bad kids at Christmas.
hrm... I figured that was just the coal for the politicians.

Quick Reply: Synthetic vs Steel Winch Inputs?