Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic vs Steel Winch Inputs?

Old 07-21-2016, 04:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

right.....if you're using a snatch block it probably means you're pulling something greater than your winch can handle on a single pull. If your stuck resistance is 12K your winch line needs to be rated at or higher than 12K (hence 2:1 ratio). A snatch block will 1\2 or 1\3 the load for your winch to pull but you are still pulling 12K on part of your winch line (each situation is different)
http://www.masterpull.com/choose-the...ze-winch-line/

just one of many sites about recovery
http://www.pangaea-expeditions.com/r...eet/index.html

Last edited by jchappies; 07-21-2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use synthetic on a daily basis with my work, in all kinds of weather thru the year. It is way more durable than it gets credit for.
The main thing is sharp edges.
The safety factor for us at work could mean life or death.
I have seen our steel wires break, if your near them, your losing a limb or dead.
And we are moving tons of weight and force on ours .
We use them to attach a 12000 hp boat to barges.
These are just 6 parts of our 36 parts of face rigging.
Will never have steel on my winch. We use Amsteel.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by jchappies
right.....if you're using a snatch block it probably means you're pulling something greater than your winch can handle on a single pull. If your stuck resistance is 12K your winch line needs to be rated at or higher than 12K (hence 2:1 ratio). A snatch block will 1\2 or 1\3 the load for your winch to pull but you are still pulling 12K on part of your winch line (each situation is different)
http://www.masterpull.com/choose-the...ze-winch-line/

just one of many sites about recovery
http://www.pangaea-expeditions.com/r...eet/index.html
Okay! That makes sense.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Light fuzzing or 'straying' on the syn line is fine, read the directions. If you've got deformation happening in the line then you're not spooling it correctly or you're not using the proper equipment with the line. I'll ship you my new steel winch cable in exchange for the syn line.
This was my first synthetic line, used one time. Simply used my tree saver and a D ring. Winch was spooled by my local offroad shop..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3130233023.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	652778  
Old 07-21-2016, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

That looks like the tail coming out of the rope. Whoever did the splice should have tapered the end and done a better bury.

My offer stands- I'll ship my new steel cable out and take good care of that synthetic line.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
That looks like the tail coming out of the rope. Whoever did the splice should have tapered the end and done a better bury.

My offer stands- I'll ship my new steel cable out and take good care of that synthetic line.
I'm sold on Synthetic now. I also have a brand new steel cable if anyone's looking for a backup in an exchange for another synth cable.

What thickness of synth line you using, 3/8in or 5/16in? I have one of those HF 12K $300 special winches.

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-21-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this rope is built like a chinese finger trap, it's wound back in itself and the harder you pull it the tighter it gets.
its hard to tell where in the rope it is but it does look like the end just came out.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I'm sold on Synthetic now. I also have a brand new steel cable if anyone's looking for a backup in an exchange for another synth cable.

What thickness of synth line you using, 3/8in or 5/16in? I have one of those HF 12K $300 special winches.
3/8" and the 94' is just the right length after you pull it tight. At first it will look like it won't all fit. You've got to affix the rope to the drum which can be easy or hard depending on how the original line was attached. Once you get the first layer set (nice and tight) then you're alright to set the rest of the rope by winching in and dragging your ebrake.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361544504075

That listing does accept lower offers, I think mine was right at $124 and I had it in a week.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

These guys pull 5K worth of logs with a 4K winch using a snatch block and a chainsaw winch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj6N7bgHxJ4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj6N7bgHxJ4

Last edited by 14Sport; 07-22-2016 at 03:05 AM.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JKphotoshoot
I use synthetic on a daily basis with my work, in all kinds of weather thru the year. It is way more durable than it gets credit for.
The main thing is sharp edges.
The safety factor for us at work could mean life or death.
I have seen our steel wires break, if your near them, your losing a limb or dead.
And we are moving tons of weight and force on ours .
We use them to attach a 12000 hp boat to barges.
These are just 6 parts of our 36 parts of face rigging.
Will never have steel on my winch. We use Amsteel.
That's some serious stuff right there. What are you towing...a barge full of political rhetoric?

Quick Reply: Synthetic vs Steel Winch Inputs?