Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

I want to learn how to do pads and rotors myself

Old 08-21-2015, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts
Default I want to learn how to do pads and rotors myself

Hey everyone. Does anyone have the time to show me how to change pads and rotors this weekend? I think it can go like this....I'll do all the work and you sit in a chair and watch to make sure I don't screw anything up. Im closing out the summer with a road trip and will have some people in the vehicle with me. I really would not want anything to go wrong because I didn't completely install this correctly.

I'll drive to your house with beers? I have a floor jack and Im pretty sure all the tools except for a C-Clamp.

Maybe someone close to Huntington Beach or in the Orange County area?

I could bring it to a shop but then I don't learn anything that way.

Thanks in advance....
Old 08-21-2015, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JVuOd2dRwMo

YouTube is great for this kind of stuff.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

Yea I have the writeup that wayoflife did also but I would really rather prefer someone there to answer some questions or help out incase I get stuck.

I'm gonna have some kids in my jk on the trip too. Really want to make sure we are all safe.

I will watch this also. Thank you for the link.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EHarris
Hey everyone. Does anyone have the time to show me how to change pads and rotors this weekend? I think it can go like this....I'll do all the work and you sit in a chair and watch to make sure I don't screw anything up. Im closing out the summer with a road trip and will have some people in the vehicle with me. I really would not want anything to go wrong because I didn't completely install this correctly.

I'll drive to your house with beers? I have a floor jack and Im pretty sure all the tools except for a C-Clamp.

Maybe someone close to Huntington Beach or in the Orange County area?

I could bring it to a shop but then I don't learn anything that way.

Thanks in advance....
The best way to perform the brake job is to follow the factory manual exactly. That way you learn it the correct way first,... before picking up bad habits or learning fast workarounds. The factory engineers typically know better and their manual is designed to lessen issues and therefore, liabilities. One item to note, you should NEVER have to add brake fluid. If you do, then you have a leak and it MUST be fixed prior to driving. If you add brake fluid to top it off in between brake jobs you will overfill it. I hope this helps for your safety.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

Would this method of the factory manual be in owners manual or should I be looking somewhere else?
Old 08-22-2015, 06:52 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...e-pads-181831/

Pretty decent write-up, easy to follow.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:51 AM
JK Newbie

Would this method of the factory manual be in owners manual or should I be looking somewhere else?
The factory shop manual is an extraordinary manual for technicians with everything about your Jeep. The owners manual is how to operate your Jeep.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Buckshot207
The factory shop manual is an extraordinary manual for technicians with everything about your Jeep. The owners manual is how to operate your Jeep.
Like a chiltons manual?
Old 08-22-2015, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Can anyone recommend a brand of rotor? I've heard Wagner is really good. I have the autozone gold ceramic pads with the lifetime warranty.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:36 PM
JK Newbie

Like a chiltons manual?
My experience with Chilton is not as good as factory...but...when I was a mechanic I would use multiple manuals to dig for the details i needed and Chilton saved me many times.

Quick Reply: I want to learn how to do pads and rotors myself