Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2014 JKUR Hard Start

Old 11-23-2014, 03:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 JKUR Hard Start

Have a 2014 JKUR been great so far! Lately though it has been hard to start. It is an automatic.
Seems like it has been happening more since cold. When it happens it is when I first start it up for the day or when it has sat all day at work. Going into stores and coming out it is fine.
When it hard starts it will turn over a lot and then stumbles like it floods out, and then it will start.
Not really sure what could be wrong.... Only has 4000 miles! Any help or ideas would be great!
Old 11-23-2014, 04:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can offer some help, take it to the dealership Before you get stranded...
Old 11-23-2014, 10:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by davefisher
I can offer some help, take it to the dealership Before you get stranded...
I was kind of looking to see if someone else has had this issue. The dealership is the last resort.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Prob a defective battery, yes sometimes they come out defective from the factory.
or just drained if it was sitting for a long time at the dealers lot before you bought it.

No worries friend good luck
Old 11-23-2014, 04:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I disconnected the battery and let it sit for approximately 10-15 minutes. Hooked it back up and tried to start again and it fired right up. Was at jeep event and had to move it and started good again. Went to leave and it took longer and sputtered again.
Came home and put a battery tender on it and see what happens in the morning.

Last edited by WLFMOON; 11-24-2014 at 04:15 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds to me like a IAC or ETB issue stumbling like flooded doesn't sound like a battery issue resetting the KAM may help clear the ETB fault temporarily, being it to the dealer hopefully you have a good one close against popular belief there not all bad
Old 11-24-2014, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Unfortunately I don't have a good dealer close by. I would have to travel about 2.5 hours to get to one I would trust.
Let me see if I can figure it out.....
Old 11-25-2014, 11:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

So far so good. Hasn't had anymore issues. Wonder if the warm weather has anything to do with it....it's been near 60 the last two days. Supposed to get cold again tomorrow. Keeping fingers crossed.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if it is getting improper fuel pressure.. (NOTE not no pressure) it will be much harder to start when its cold out, as the engine requires more fuel for colder starts...

if the coolant or intake air temp sensors are defective and say read that the Jeep is warmer than it really is, the same issue can occur...
and it may still run fine when started and run a little as more sensors are reading..

another issue is that your fuel lines could be bleeding off all of their pressure fro ma bad check valve when the jeep sits still.. go to start it and it begins to start from leftover fuel in the injector area.. then immediately stalls.. then starts fine..

none of the above issues are likely to set a code as the parameters are not out of range for that particular sensor...
-Christopher
Old 11-28-2014, 12:05 PM
JK Newbie

My 14 had a similar problem. Found out there is a tsb on them build dates 02/03/14 through 7/18/14. Tsb number is 18-054-14. It replaced camshaft sensor. Mine has been great since the fix.

Quick Reply: 2014 JKUR Hard Start