Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ABS/ESP lights and wheelspeed sensor codes.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS/ESP lights and wheelspeed sensor codes.

For a couple of weeks now my ABS/ESP lights have been on and occasionally turning off for a while and then coming back and remaining on like they are now.

Originally I got error code P 1417 so I ordered a new front left wheel speed sensor but while waiting for it, the lights went off. I left it in the box and it still is.

The lights came back on, I used a code reader this time and it says "Left rear wheelspeed sensor"

Is this thing going nuts because the ABS module is fubared or is it the sensors?
Old 01-03-2014, 02:18 PM
JK Newbie

Are you running stock tire size?
Old 01-03-2014, 05:42 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Motiv
Are you running stock tire size?
yea i am and stock rims
Old 01-03-2014, 07:09 PM
JK Newbie

Ok, this prob happened to mine after I lifted and went with larger tires. Seems strange that you'd be getting the codes for different wheels and then it going away when you're still stock. Sorry I'm not much help on this one.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:35 PM
JK Junkie

Trauma- So you had issues but you aren't sure which wheel actually is going out? Any reason why you suggested the ABS module??

I would start by pulling the sensors and cleaning everything up- then see what you get as far as codes go. It could be a loose wire somewhere or possibly even a wire shorting out. If you've got the actual sensor end clean (as well as the tone ring) then you know it can't be there and can trace backwards.

Motiv- you had the issue and then........

Did it resolve itself? Do you still have the issue? Did you replace all of the sensors? Larger tires shouldn't have anything to do with this equation since it's a small sensor inside the hub and behind the brakes. It measures and sends the numbers back home, it doesn't think about how big your tires or lift are.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:23 PM
JK Freak

They have this white grease on them. Is that supposed to be there?

I believe they work off vibrations/something passing them theres no camera eye or anything its a closed little plastic plug?
Old 01-04-2014, 03:51 PM
JK Junkie

They should work based on the magnetic field being present or disturbed. I do not recall seeing any grease on my sensors nor would I see where the manual would recommend coating them with grease.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2014, 01:39 PM
JK Freak

I am yet to resolve this problem.

I changed the front and rear left side sensors to no resolve. In the process I even broke the plug on the wiring harness in the rear so that's gonna set me back $50 for just the part.

Should I just take it to the dealer and bite the bullet? I'm tempted to replace the entire ABS module but for all I know it's something small and I'm wasting my time and money.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the same exact issue. Subscribed
Old 02-07-2014, 02:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles on the jeep? Did you check your unit bearings. Both times I had speed sensor codes it turned out to be a bad unit bearing.

Quick Reply: ABS/ESP lights and wheelspeed sensor codes.