Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is the dealer service rep trying to squeeze me for money?

Old 03-27-2015, 12:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the dealer service rep trying to squeeze me for money?

Hi, i recently took my 07 JK to the dealer for a warranty covered power steering pump replacement. When I went to pick it up the new pump squealed like a pig. when confronted about this issue the service manager answered "that might just be the sound it makes, it's an aftermarket pump", needless to say i didn't see it that way. after some convincing they did agree to replace it with an OEM pump but are now saying they need to flush the power steering system at my cost. are they trying to recoup money for doing warranty work twice or to cover the more expensive pump? or should i tell them to go ahead and do it? thanks
Old 03-27-2015, 12:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mattling34
Hi, i recently took my 07 JK to the dealer for a warranty covered power steering pump replacement. When I went to pick it up the new pump squealed like a pig. when confronted about this issue the service manager answered "that might just be the sound it makes, it's an aftermarket pump", needless to say i didn't see it that way. after some convincing they did agree to replace it with an OEM pump but are now saying they need to flush the power steering system at my cost. are they trying to recoup money for doing warranty work twice or to cover the more expensive pump? or should i tell them to go ahead and do it? thanks
Flush what system! If I'm not mistaken the pump is a self contained reservoir. They screwed up and not using oem parts at a dealer is shady business.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree. Find another dealer.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:12 PM
JK Newbie

Agreed. I wouldn't settle for that either.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:50 PM
JK Freak

If you go in for WARRANTY work why are they replacing a factory part with an aftermarket one, unless you requested it? This kind of baffles me.
Second what's to flush? What reason was given for needing a flush?
Old 03-27-2015, 01:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am kinda scratching my head trying to figure out exactly what they want to flush?
I am having a hard time picture this without actually looking at it but doesn't the lines just run from the pump to the steering gear box and back?
Old 03-27-2015, 01:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have them replace the pump with OEM and then "flush" ......er I mean turn the wheel from lock to lock and add any necessary PS fluid yourself.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Billbikes
If you go in for WARRANTY work why are they replacing a factory part with an aftermarket one, unless you requested it? This kind of baffles me.
Second what's to flush? What reason was given for needing a flush?
I agree it seemed like they were trying to make up on lost money but i figured i would ask. the whole deal stinks to high hell
Old 03-27-2015, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ask them to show you were in the scheduled maintenance is there a requirement to Flush the power steering, most fluid is lost when replacing the pump anyway,, then if they tell you that needs to be done to correct your noisy pump then the flush should be under warranty... Pump,whine is not normal and if you have a warranty that covers it should all be covered to correct the concern. Good luck
Old 03-28-2015, 05:34 AM
Former Member

And just when you think you've heard every scam out there

Quick Reply: Is the dealer service rep trying to squeeze me for money?