Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Gas tank overfill (video and pics)

Old 01-08-2009, 09:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand what you are saying Redneck, but I have tried it with the auto setting not "wide-open" and it ended with the same result. I just didn't happen to have my camera with me. As far as jamming it in, I didn't in that video. I was simply holding it to pull the lever, not pushing it in. I simply added that to my last post to explain that I have tried multiple ways with the same result.

I'll film next time I fill up with auto to catch it if/when it does that… if it does it again. My dealer called me back just a little bit ago and said they are replacing my evap canister along with some valve that is located in the vent line that they said was "sticking". He also told me that liquid fuel was making it all the way to the evap canister possibly causing the problem to get worse.

He wasn’t too familiar with everything the service guy told him and explained to me the best he could, so once I get the paper from the dealer I’ll scan it in for you guys to look at. He told me 3-5 days for the parts to come in.

While I have no idea if the evap canister part makes sense, the fact that they found a faulty ball valve thing (where ever it may be) shows that there was a problem that developed.

No, I don't always hold the nozzle wide open like that... but I have many times over the last year owning that vehicle and never had a problems until recently. There is a problem here, it's just a matter of finding what it is. In less that 10k miles I’m out of warranty and want to make sure problems that I have are well documented.

Not that it proves anything… you think I held the nozzle in there like that at full blast in Indiana with the -20 wind chill? Still did it on the auto setting, only thing I noticed is it does that more often on the ones without the rubber guards than the ones with.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jfreeddo
i would also hope that since this has happend to you so much, that you would have learned to not leave your keys hanging right in the way of the gas that shoots out, that can't be good for the remote on the key.
Actually... that's the first time I did that. Some people were giving me funny looks as I was filming and kind of distracted me. I kinda like the smell of gas though and now my pockets smell like it... might be why no one sat next to me during that meeting at work today...
Old 01-08-2009, 09:54 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sieran
I understand what you are saying Redneck, but I have tried it with the auto setting not "wide-open" and it ended with the same result. I just didn't happen to have my camera with me. As far as jamming it in, I didn't in that video. I was simply holding it to pull the lever, not pushing it in. I simply added that to my last post to explain that I have tried multiple ways with the same result.

I'll film next time I fill up with auto to catch it if/when it does that… if it does it again. My dealer called me back just a little bit ago and said they are replacing my evap canister along with some valve that is located in the vent line that they said was "sticking". He also told me that liquid fuel was making it all the way to the evap canister possibly causing the problem to get worse.

He wasn’t too familiar with everything the service guy told him and explained to me the best he could, so once I get the paper from the dealer I’ll scan it in for you guys to look at. He told me 3-5 days for the parts to come in.

While I have no idea if the evap canister part makes sense, the fact that they found a faulty ball valve thing (where ever it may be) shows that there was a problem that developed.

No, I don't always hold the nozzle wide open like that... but I have many times over the last year owning that vehicle and never had a problems until recently. There is a problem here, it's just a matter of finding what it is. In less that 10k miles I’m out of warranty and want to make sure problems that I have are well documented.

Not that it proves anything… you think I held the nozzle in there like that at full blast in Indiana with the -20 wind chill? Still did it on the auto setting, only thing I noticed is it does that more often on the ones without the rubber guards than the ones with.
Good. I'm glad you didn't take all I said personally. I was jokin around. But I was serious about my recommendations. They work. Maybe the dealer will find somethin wrong. If not, next time, try pulling the nozzle out just a tad farther than usual and see what that nets you. Keep us posted. Since this seems to be a sorta popular problem, there might actually be somethin to it.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

my wrangler is at the dealer now for the same problem
Old 01-08-2009, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's a JK Forum gremlin. Mine never did untill I read a thread about it here
about a maonth and a half ago, now it does it almost every time.

I'm waiting to see what the results are here to see if it's something I can
repair myself.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dkingjk
It's a JK Forum gremlin. Mine never did untill I read a thread about it here
about a maonth and a half ago, now it does it almost every time.

I'm waiting to see what the results are here to see if it's something I can
repair myself.
Well, give me until the end of next week. I'll scan in the repair paperwork soon as the parts come in and I have them replaced. I'll try to time it so i have to fill up after the work and see if it overfills.

When I go to pick it up later today I'll ask the guy to be a little more specific as to what is being done and why.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
LMAO!!! That's the funniest video I think I've ever seen. First, EVERYBODY knows you don't JAM the nozzle ALL the way in the fill hole. You always back it out just a tad, to allow air to escape. Secondly, you were holding the nozzle WIDE OPEN. What the hell?? Is this you first EVER vehicle??? Now don't get all mad, I'm just raggin on you a little. Next time you fill up, try this: put the nozzle all the way in as far as it'll go, then back it out just a touch, until one of the spring coils holds it in. This way, air can escape. Second, don't hold it wide open....dummy. LMAO. Most vehicles won't take it like that. ESPECIALLY when they're up to operating temperature and have been driven a while. Also, filling up on a slower setting will net you a fuller tank because gasoline airiates very badly. In other words, it foams up. When you fill the tank slowly, the effect isn't as bad, and you will end up with more fuel, and less foam. Trust me, it works!
seeing that this has happened to a number of people, including myself and the owner/operator of this website, i'm gonna say you are the "dummy" for assuming user error. you are more than welcome to come join me the next time i fill up and watch what happens. i can't even use the slow auto-fill setting on some of the pumps. if you took the time to read how many people have this issue, i think you would understand it is a larger problem than one guy who happened to video it.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

At least you can get gas. My YJ won't accommodate the newer nozzels (more straight then curved) and I have to get gas trickle in. I go to an old station that probably have not had new nozzles since the 90's and I can just full throttle it. I've never owned a car that did not spew gas when you left it on full throttle unattended. When I hear the gas coming up the spout and gurgling I cut it off. No spill. I let it fill on auto and it shoots gas.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the same boat with the rest of you. It seems that even if you listen to the gas as its filling and shut it off with the change in sound it still dumps gas everywhere.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:04 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dc_Minnesota
seeing that this has happened to a number of people, including myself and the owner/operator of this website, i'm gonna say you are the "dummy" for assuming user error. you are more than welcome to come join me the next time i fill up and watch what happens. i can't even use the slow auto-fill setting on some of the pumps. if you took the time to read how many people have this issue, i think you would understand it is a larger problem than one guy who happened to video it.
Since I was not addressing you, and I also told him that I was only joking around, AND he took it that way, all I have to say to you is BUTT OUT.

Quick Reply: Gas tank overfill (video and pics)