Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

>>> HELP !!! - Leak on to Driver Floor - How do I fix it ??? <<<

Old 04-24-2014, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb >>> HELP !!! - Leak on to Driver Floor - How do I fix it ??? <<<

Need Help please.

Water leak issue, water found on driver side floor. (Water only, not antifreeze)

I have a 2008 2 Door JK Hard Top with the removable roof panels. It has 7,000 miles on the vehicle since new, and I am the original owner. The tops have only been off only once just for a day a few years ago. I don't remember ever haven driven it in the rain ever.

I am assuming it is a roof leak, and is leaking water on to the Driver Side floor.

I went through the drive thru full service car wash, and when I got home noticed the drivers side carpet was wet. Then over the weekend drove thru some fairly heavy rain. Next day noticed driver side carpet even wetter than before.

Took carpet out, left it out, and it dried over the next few days. Took out the 2 floor pan drain plugs and dried floor with a towel.

No rain and no car wash since. Floor has not been wet since.

I remember reading somewhere that the 2007 and 2008's had a water leak issue with the removable roof panels leaking water in, and seem to remember seeing a TSB or something that addressed the issue.

Dealer Service Manager says he never has ever had any luck fixing this problem properly or permanently.

For any of you who have had the same problem, how did you fix it?

And how did you finally properly resolve the water leak issue where it did not leak again, and start leaking again later down the road?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2011 has been "fixed" 18 times. Yes 18!! Still leaks. I gave up
Old 04-24-2014, 07:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remove the panel and check the rubber and clean it with 303. I also have an 08 jku and never had a problem with it. good luck
Old 04-24-2014, 07:31 PM
JK Newbie

Is there a TSB for this issue on 2008's?

Is there a different weathersrtrip or seal, or upgraded seal "kit" available from the dealer?

Or is there a superseded newer improved factory replacement seal for the roof panels?

Or a newer upgraded factory seal for the windshield where it meets the panels??

Last edited by Jeep Daddy!; 04-24-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:24 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I bet it is coming in thru the fresh air vent in the cowl in front of the windshield. It drops right down to the passenger floor board.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:27 AM
JK Newbie

Driver side carpet is what gets wet.

No wet carpet found on passenger side.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeep Daddy!
Driver side carpet is what gets wet. No wet carpet found on passenger side.
Mine did that a few days ago after coming out of the car wash...glad I have the rubber mats! Any electrical issues possible??
Old 04-25-2014, 03:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had this problem with the removeable tops. It was leaking inbetween the front and rear door pillar. I redid the strips on the tops with weather stripping for camper shells. I just cut the small pieces to size and replaced them. Take off the old ones and clean well.
Also don't over tighten the top hand screws the ones on the inside. Make sure you have the 2 corner screws in place as well that hold the main top to the jeep. Knock on wood no leaks for the past 2 years.

Quick Reply: >>> HELP !!! - Leak on to Driver Floor - How do I fix it ??? <<<