Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How stripped can I go..2016 JKR

Old 01-21-2017, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How stripped can I go..2016 JKR

Looking at a 2016-17 rubicon jk..What is consided must haves and what is not really needed. Trying to keep it on the lower end. Was thinking auto and not much else. Being a 2 door power windows locks I don't think will be missed too much? What about the connectivity group?
Old 01-21-2017, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to jeep.com the connectivity group only adds a leather wrapped steering wheel, USB slot in the center console, and tpms display for each tires pressure. I've never used the USB slot and if you plan on different wheels and tires you'll probably end up with a procal anyway to disable tpms. I'd say you'll be just fine without the leather wrapped steering wheel.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the only extras i picked for my jk were the hard top / tinted windows and the mid level radio. i skipped on everything else. No power anything.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

My JKUR was loaded. Out of that, I have the following gone:

Stereo system - replaced it with a marine-grade single DIN and a CB in the dash

Wheels/tires - replaced with ATX slabs and disabled the TPMS

Power/heated side mirrors - I run half doors from Rugged Ridge now

Power locks - see reason above

Hard top - use the soft top all the time now

This may (when I'm back on R&R) I'll pull the automatic climate controls out and replace with manual ones. I hade the auto system.. it's never right.

Things that have been modified:

Front/Rear lockers are now on my own wiring harness so I can lock when I want and not have the safety freaks tell me no.

Front electronic sway bar disconnect - pulled out the electronic stuff (after it quit working) and replaced with the Evo manual system that works great.

I do still have the leather/heated seats and I'll say I like that they are heated and I like that the leather works great in terms of keeping clean and water resistance.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jonb1032
Looking at a 2016-17 rubicon jk..What is consided must haves and what is not really needed. Trying to keep it on the lower end. Was thinking auto and not much else. Being a 2 door power windows locks I don't think will be missed too much? What about the connectivity group?
The Rubicon includes a lot of what you need standard. Connectivity group does add Bluetooth streaming and phone connectivity as well as tpms. If you plan to replace the head unit then skip it but if keeping stock you may want the phone connection. The other option you should get with an auto is 4.10 gearing. Stock is 3.73 with auto and if you plan to go with bigger tires you will want the 4.10s. I got my 2017 Rubi mostly stripped with just a hard top and heated seats and feel it has everything I need.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:49 AM
JK Newbie

I think about this all the time now that I've purchased my second Jeep. Guess it really depends on what you plan to do with it. I bought a loaded out '14 JKU Sahara. I enjoy having the heated seats (so does the wife), but outside of the mechanicals I wise I would've skimped on everything else and saved the money. Now, I use mine as a daily driver and don't trail or mud much so I won't be heavily modifying.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by nosnhoj1
According to jeep.com the connectivity group only adds a leather wrapped steering wheel, USB slot in the center console, and tpms display for each tires pressure. I've never used the USB slot and if you plan on different wheels and tires you'll probably end up with a procal anyway to disable tpms. I'd say you'll be just fine without the leather wrapped steering wheel.
doesn't the connectivity group also give steering wheel controls and the EVIC (electronic vehicle information center) that allows you to easily change some settings such as whether the headlights stay on, does your horn beep at lock, etc.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by jonb1032
I personally would opt for a more loaded sport instead of a less loaded Rubi. I do not need the capability improvement off road that the Rubi brings. It's not worth the cost to me. However, if opting for non Rubi, do not accept 3.21 gearing.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
doesn't the connectivity group also give steering wheel controls and the EVIC (electronic vehicle information center) that allows you to easily change some settings such as whether the headlights stay on, does your horn beep at lock, etc.
Steering controls come without the connectivity group. You do lose the ability to change lights and other settings and see tire pressure though.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

had a 2003 when they first came out
standard it has eveything you need
just toss me the keys and point to a trail

Quick Reply: How stripped can I go..2016 JKR