Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

JEEP Won't Start -- It Clicks -- Intermittent at first -- Now almost constant

Old 11-04-2012, 02:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my 08 rhd to the dealership when I was having this issue. After they had it for three weeks all they did was change a ground wire.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:45 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Key fob? Can't be that. Even with the wrong key fob, the engine will start, then shut off in 2 seconds.

Plugs and wires? There is nothing about them that can prevent the engine from turning over.

Linkage or neutral safety switch? Not in the traditional sense. If it were out of adjustment, it wouldn't even click. Try starting it in gear; it won't click at all.

There is a good possibility it is related to the JK's version of the neutral safety switch, though.
Inside the transmission, there is an item called the range sensor. It has 4 contacts that ride on the range selector. They have various combinations of "on" and "off". It tells the computer which gear the selector is in, including Park and Neutral.

These contacts are awash in transmission fluid. It's likely the contacts make a connection that's not quite perfect, and when the current goes through them, the connection is broken. It will be a good connection long enough to let the computer route power to the relay, but when the connection fails, the computer shuts off the power, thinking the transmission is no longer in Park or Neutral.

Moving the selector lever re-establishes the range sensor connections, allowing the entire start sequence to happen.

(This is all theory. I haven't been able to prove it, as mine has never had the "click-no-start" condition.)

Here is a picture of the range sensor contact points.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had same problem with my '07. It was a crank sensor that was going bad. I have the shittiest service department there is, but they fixed this problem first try.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:56 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
I had same problem with my '07. It was a crank sensor that was going bad. I have the shittiest service department there is, but they fixed this problem first try.
Your JK would click when you turned the key, and the engine wouldn't turn over?
Old 11-04-2012, 01:29 PM
JK Freak

I was convinced it was the range selector. Mine did it a lot! But only in the summer when it was hot, once fall hit and things cooled off I never had the problem. However, since replacing my engine a year ago I have not had the problem? That puzzles me and makes me think the grounding issue may be the cause. Either way, all I had to do was jiggle the shifter and it would start. I didn't have to shift it, just a slight push or pull on the auto shifter.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Epic-Addictions Representative

Mine does this frequently. I wouldn't say it's a click, it's more like the engine turns for what's maybe a 1/4 crank then stops. Bumping the trans shifter and cranking again gets it started. 07 auto with about 60k miles.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:16 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've discovered my auto JK does this usually when I've driven in Reverse and then parked w/o engaging forward drive before Park. So obviously it's an auto trans sensor issue. I've gotten in the habit of putting it in Drive and moving forward a bit before setting it to Park when backing into a parking space. Maybe 1 out of 100 times I get the click & pop the shifter forward a bit or put it in N to start.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Mine does it too. But once u pop it in neutral it usually starts right up
Old 11-04-2012, 03:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Update

Even with the spare key it did not start up. Just the "click." So I did as instructed and shifted the jeep in neutral. It started right up...

I'm going to call the shop and tell them tomorrow. I hope that whatever the problem is it's covered under the drivetrain warranty. What's your .2 cents now, considering the JK will start in neutral (it's automatic)?

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2012, 03:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RN M OVR
Even with the spare key it did not start up. Just the "click." So I did as instructed and shifted the jeep in neutral. It started right up...

I'm going to call the shop and tell them tomorrow. I hope that whatever the problem is it's covered under the drivetrain warranty. What's your .2 cents now, considering the JK will start in neutral (it's automatic)?

Thanks!
I've read on the forum is has to do with the sensor or something. It's done it since I bought my jeep from a family friend at 55,000 miles. I'm now at 118,000 and I've just gotten used to it lol. I replaced my alternator about 2 months ago and now it doesn't do it quite as often as it used to. Hope that helps somewhat!

Quick Reply: JEEP Won't Start -- It Clicks -- Intermittent at first -- Now almost constant