Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New tires....

Old 01-26-2015, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tires....

Need to get tire soon. 2012 unlimited sport with 17" rims. I'm all stock for height at the moment. Any thoughts of what size I can get? Was looking at either the Good Year DuraTracs or MT/R w/Kevlar.
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Duratacs! Had them on Cherokee, lasts forever, good in the snow.

Last edited by Sjanov94; 01-26-2015 at 06:40 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Can't comment on size, as I chose to keep the OEM size on my 2012 JKU. I went with duratracs and am extremely happy with their wet traction. As I write this here in NJ, we have an end of the world snow event predicted so I'll get to try the tire out in deep snow tonight and tomorrow. Duratracs are very highly regarded in this forum. I got mine from simpletire.com. Nobody could touch their price. Total job to get 4 tires and have them installed was $675.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Can't comment on size, as I chose to keep the OEM size on my 2012 JKU. I went with duratracs and am extremely happy with their wet traction. As I write this here in NJ, we have an end of the world snow event predicted so I'll get to try the tire out in deep snow tonight and tomorrow. Duratracs are very highly regarded in this forum. I got mine from simpletire.com. Nobody could touch their price. Total job to get 4 tires and have them installed was $675.
Good luck. Stay safe! Im in Northern Illinois an wish we could steal some of that snow from you guys!!
Old 01-26-2015, 10:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went with 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers on my 2012 with stock rims and suspension and they rubbed at full turn. Had to put 1.5" wheel spacers on. I have since gone to a tera flex leveling kit and still have the spacers.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2012JWSU
I'm all stock for height at the moment.
Do you plan on lifting it? What size do you really want? Do you off road it?

Tires are expensive. Don't buy what you can fit if you will want to go bigger. Because you can go bigger now for not that much more. Try and figure in new rims so you can get correct back spacing. If you need a little lift to go bigger settle on a body lift and/or budget spacer lift. You can put them both on with very little tools.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

If I lift at all, probably only be about 2-3". It's a DD and don't want to go too high. You know. The wife and kids and all!!!!!!
I've been on a few trails. Would like to do more. But not very close to any that I know of. And I kinda like the factory rims. (I know, I know!!!)
So if I did the 315-70/17 with a 1.5" spacer. Would that get me by til I so a 2.5" lift?
Thanks.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Go with the Durstracs, the MTR-K are great tires but they are a mud tire and mud tires don't do very well in the snow. I have MTR-K's and they are an awesome tire but i live in GA and we don't get the kind of snow you would see on a yearly basis. I will tell you the MTR-K is probably the best mud tire I've ever owned and will be buying another set when these are done.

Goodly I with your decision.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:58 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by 2012JWSU
And I kinda like the factory rims. (I know, I know!!!)
So if I did the 315-70/17 with a 1.5" spacer. Would that get me by til I so a 2.5" lift?
Probably 33x10.50 if you are using stock rims and not lifting and/or chopping the fenders or going to flats.

That 315/70 is a 35" tire. With stock rims/stock fenders/no lift, expect them to rub on the fenders, air dam, frame, control arms, maybe even the front bumper and rear pinch seam.

You will need less backspace to run 35's. (move the tires further out of the wheel wells). Either new rims with proper backspacing/offset, or adding wheel spacers will do this. If you are waiting on a lift, plan on at least chopping the fenders or flats.

If you haven't found them yet, there are two threads stuck to the top of the Modified Tech area that may be worth a few minutes of your time...
Old 01-28-2015, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me chime in here cause this is the one thing I know for sure about. Got the wife a 2010 JKUR and threw some Toyo AT2's on it in a 35. No lift or anything like that. Then I proceeded to ditch the air dam (rubbed at full stop), trim the fenders (rubbed at flex), trim the rubi rail and pinch seam (rubbed when stuffed), and got wheel spacers (rubbed sway bar at full stop). It doesn't rub on the bumper but I will be making that a stubby someday soon anyway. Would I do it again? Absolutly! Trimming your flares can be a little nerve wracking but its something that YOU do to your jeep, cut it anyway you want.

On my 09 JKUR I have 285s on it (bought it that way) and it rubs on the sway bar at full lock, again going to pick up some spacers for it but for now.. I just don't make sharp turns. As soon as the Kelly tires run out of tread I will be doing the same thing to mine that I did to the wife's.

I will recommend the AT2's though. I got it pretty much everyone will recommend stuff they buy but... quite on the road, good looking tread, (aired down) not bad in the deep snow, good in the gravel... haven't found any mud yet so can't comment on that.

Anyway... good luck.

Quick Reply: New tires....