Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil sucking 3.8

Old 09-17-2016, 05:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wrangler unl145
My '11 has 47,xxx miles. I've used Mobil 1 since it was new. I had about 3,000 miles on this oil change and it was down 2 1/2 quarts. Changed pvc valve and used 1/4 quart in 400 miles.
I switched from Mobile 1 5w20 to Amsoil 5w30.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought my 08 JKUR in 07. I have a little over 85 grand on it and it uses no oil. I use conventional Pennzoil.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I am the second owner of an '08, 123K miles and I go through about a quart every 2000 miles, does the oversize filter really make a difference or should I just change my filter on a regular basis since I'm updating my oil fairly regularly... No warranty for second owners??
Old 09-17-2016, 09:25 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by JK Pleepleus
So, I am the second owner of an '08, 123K miles and I go through about a quart every 2000 miles, does the oversize filter really make a difference or should I just change my filter on a regular basis since I'm updating my oil fairly regularly... No warranty for second owners??
This is what I would do;

Keep an eye on the oil level, adding a quart when down a quart
Use a good brand of conventional oil, changing it and the regular filter at 4,000 miles.
Experiment with heavier oils. 5W-30, or even 10W-40. See if it slows down oil consumption
When convenient, start looking into why it's using oil, especially if it gets worse.

The lifetime warranty that came with your JK is not transferable to second owners.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:37 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the advice, will do...
Old 09-18-2016, 04:25 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Smizar
How many of you have issues with your 3.8's using to much oil?
My 2011 seems only to use oil in start/stop driving, about half a quart a week.

This is my daily driver.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
This is what I would do;

Keep an eye on the oil level, adding a quart when down a quart
Use a good brand of conventional oil, changing it and the regular filter at 4,000 miles.
Experiment with heavier oils. 5W-30, or even 10W-40. See if it slows down oil consumption
When convenient, start looking into why it's using oil, especially if it gets worse.

The lifetime warranty that came with your JK is not transferable to second owners.
It is my understanding that Jeep won't do anything with the warranty until they do a consumption test that sees a minimum of 1 quart of oil consumption in 1,000 miles. Mine is probably at .8 or .9. Runs great, though. How the heck it is consuming oil is beyond me. It appears to be the pcv. The top of the piston closest to it looks black with soot.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by dmwil
It is my understanding that Jeep won't do anything with the warranty until they do a consumption test that sees a minimum of 1 quart of oil consumption in 1,000 miles. Mine is probably at .8 or .9. Runs great, though.
Your understanding of the consumption rate is partially correct.
This is Chrysler's published guideline for the 3.8L engine:
NORMAL OIL CONSUMPTION:
Below are industry standards for normal engine oil consumption:
Mileage below 50,000: Normal oil consumption is one quart for each 1,000 miles driven. Mileage above 50,000: Normal oil consumption is one quart for each 750 miles driven.

Originally Posted by dmwil
How the heck it is consuming oil is beyond me. It appears to be the pcv. The top of the piston closest to it looks black with soot.
The proximity of the soot covered piston top to the pcv valve is not a factor.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Interesting thread. My '09 was purchased new and now has 58,500 miles. I've always changed the oil at 3k intervals. Around 15k I began to notice a bit of consumption, maybe 1/2 qt at 3k. At 18k I switched from the recommended 5w-20 oil to 5w-30. No real improvement in consumption was noted. Some time later I tried swapping out the PCV, again no improvement noted. When it was revealed the Mopar remanufactured long blocks come with a 10w-30 recommendation I switched to the heavier oil, and while that ended the startup clatter for good and greatly reduced the 3.8's annoying high end racket at high RPMs, there wasn't much if any improvement in consumption.

So, after all that I'm resigned to the routine consumption of 1/2 qt at every oil change. With the engine nearing 60k miles I'm resigned that it will eventually join the rank of the oil guzzlers. But, right now most people with 3.8 Exxon Valdez's would be happy were theirs so tight as mine. Which finally brings me to the question: Where is the oil going? Past the rings, past the valve guide seal and down the intake valves, past the intake manifold gaskets? What? Has anyone done a proper cylinder leak down test on a chronic oil drinker? Your thoughts, please!
Old 09-22-2016, 03:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SoK66
Interesting thread. My '09 was purchased new and now has 58,500 miles. I've always changed the oil at 3k intervals. Around 15k I began to notice a bit of consumption, maybe 1/2 qt at 3k. At 18k I switched from the recommended 5w-20 oil to 5w-30. No real improvement in consumption was noted. Some time later I tried swapping out the PCV, again no improvement noted. When it was revealed the Mopar remanufactured long blocks come with a 10w-30 recommendation I switched to the heavier oil, and while that ended the startup clatter for good and greatly reduced the 3.8's annoying high end racket at high RPMs, there wasn't much if any improvement in consumption.

So, after all that I'm resigned to the routine consumption of 1/2 qt at every oil change. With the engine nearing 60k miles I'm resigned that it will eventually join the rank of the oil guzzlers. But, right now most people with 3.8 Exxon Valdez's would be happy were theirs so tight as mine. Which finally brings me to the question: Where is the oil going? Past the rings, past the valve guide seal and down the intake valves, past the intake manifold gaskets? What? Has anyone done a proper cylinder leak down test on a chronic oil drinker? Your thoughts, please!
No leaks anywhere on mine. It is burning it. I had to replace 1 cat under warranty.

Quick Reply: Oil sucking 3.8