Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

what is the EVAP Canister?

Old 02-22-2009, 08:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the EVAP Canister?

what is it? what does it do, and why would i need to relocate it?
Old 02-22-2009, 08:49 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It contains charcoal that catches and filters particles that emit from your Jeep, per vehicle regulations. You need it to keep your Jeep street legal and to help curb emissions. You need to relocate it if you wheel on the rocks a lot because it hangs down and can easily get pulled off or damaged.

Here is a dangling evap canistor after being pulled off by a rock:

Last edited by doojer; 02-22-2009 at 08:55 AM. Reason: added pic
Old 02-22-2009, 09:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Default well then

i gues i need to add that to my growing list of stuff.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:22 AM
JK Freak

Great info - This year I've got to get under mine more and check thing's out.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:47 AM
JK Freak

just remember that relocating the evap canister will likely void your warranty. The evap canister being hit is an extremely rare occurrence. Unless you add skid plates everywhere, everything that's under your jeep has a chance to be hit and damaged. Your best option if the evap canister is a concern, is to get a skid plate for it, this way you protect it and keep your warranty intact.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by somewhereinla
just remember that relocating the evap canister will likely void your warranty. The evap canister being hit is an extremely rare occurrence. Unless you add skid plates everywhere, everything that's under your jeep has a chance to be hit and damaged. Your best option if the evap canister is a concern, is to get a skid plate for it, this way you protect it and keep your warranty intact.
I disagree... It is not extremely rare, if you wheel in rocks. I have pulled mine off once like the pic above, and then also cracked it and the sensor. It is pretty vulnerable in its position. I cant speak from personal experience about the warranty, but it has been discussed several times on here. Many have still had warranty work done, including WOL, without an issue. I like the relo better than the skid, but that comes down to personal preference I think. Good luck!
Old 02-22-2009, 11:02 AM
JK Jedi

just remember that relocating the evap canister will likely void your warranty.
This is debatable. While it's true that an exhaust/emissions related problem would most likely be blamed on an evap mod by the dealer, relocating you evap should not automatically void your warranty. If something occurs with your Jeep that is unrelated to the evap canister, it should still fall under warranty and be covered.
The evap canister being hit is an extremely rare occurrence.
This is true. I should mention that I have not yet relocated my evap canister and have never had an issue on the trail. However, others I've wheeled with have ripped off their canisters on the same trail where I had no issue.
Unless you add skid plates everywhere, everything that's under your jeep has a chance to be hit and damaged.
Yeah, but some things are more vulnerable and easier to damage/rip off. I'd say the evap canister is one of the more vulnerable parts under there.
Your best option if the evap canister is a concern, is to get a skid plate for it, this way you protect it and keep your warranty intact.
This is certainly an option-- although, you might lose a tiny bit of clearance whereas relocating might gain you a tiny bit of clearance.

Last edited by doojer; 02-22-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The evap canister being hit is an extremely rare occurrence.
Not real rare, I've lost mine while playing in the rocks and have been wheeling with 2 others when they have lost their's.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:03 PM
JK Newbie

i have the same problem i was wheeln and a stick jammed throught the front. luckly my brother in law works at chrylsler as a mechanic and he said if i brought the relocation bracket it wouldnt void the warranty.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:51 AM
JK Junkie

According to my Jeep Tech. guy, i did not void the warranty on mine as he looked over the relocation and loved how it was done. Did it at the same time as replacing mine after killing it on a rock.

Quick Reply: what is the EVAP Canister?