Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

what is the EVAP Canister?

Old 09-24-2010, 12:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a hard time justifying $100-150 skid plate or relocation kit to protect a $37part.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

A little more info for the OP's questions: What is it? and What does it do?

From the factory service manual:

A maintenance free, EVAP canister is used on all vehicles. The EVAP canister is filled with granules of an activated carbon mixture. Fuel vapors entering the EVAP canister are absorbed by the charcoal granules.
Fuel tank pressure vents into the EVAP canister. Fuel vapors are temporarily held in the canister until they can be drawn into the intake manifold. The duty cycle EVAP canister purge solenoid allows the EVAP canister to be purged at predetermined times and at certain engine operating conditions.
The EVAP canister is also to be considered as part of the ORVR system.

The ORVR (On-Board Refueling Vapor Recovery) system is used to remove excess fuel tank vapors. This is done while the vehicle is being refueled.
Fuel flowing into the fuel filler tube (approx. 1” I.D.) creates an aspiration effect drawing air into the fuel fill tube. During refueling, the fuel tank is vented to the EVAP canister to capture escaping vapors. With air flowing into the filler tube, there are no fuel vapors escaping to the atmosphere. Once the refueling vapors are captured by the EVAP canister, the vehicle's computer controlled purge system draws vapor out of the canister for the engine to burn. The vapor flow is metered by the purge solenoid so that there is no, or minimal impact on driveability or tailpipe emissions.
As fuel starts to flow through the fuel fill tube, it opens the normally closed check valve and enters the fuel tank. Vapor or air is expelled from the tank through the control valve and on to the vapor canister. Vapor is absorbed in the EVAP canister until vapor flow in the lines stops. This stoppage occurs following fuel shut-off, or by having the fuel level in the tank rise high enough to close the control valve. This control valve contains a float that rises to seal the large diameter vent path to the EVAP canister. At this point in the refueling process, fuel tank pressure increases, the check valve closes (preventing liquid fuel from spiting back at the operator), and fuel then rises up the fuel filler tube to shut off the dispensing nozzle.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not had to replace mine. Partially because I have the benchmark designs skid. But a guy in our group is on his second replacement (due to an exhaust melting issue with his relocation) and I thought he said the part was closer to $70.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mudd issues?

After being submerged for 2 hours my GASDOOR light came on- not too many rocks this trip, LOTS OF MUD AND CLAY... Any suggestions or should I go to JEEP?
Old 03-15-2012, 05:05 PM
JK Newbie

Default I am a victim!

I pulled off my evap canister twice. The second time I broke it. I am trying to find another one (don't want to buy a new one from the dealer). If anyone knows where I can get one please let me know. Neither time was on rocks. This last time was a tree branch. I may relocate it this summer but I wouldn't get a skid plate because in my experience it would only make it a rarer issue rather than a non-existent one.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

So if you re-locate it, where does it go???? Does anyone have pics where it goes lol, sorry I'm thinking about re-locating it
Old 12-06-2012, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Would you want to keep replacing your broken EVAP can or just buy a skid which will move it up and offer tons of protection? Here is my idea: http://shop.poisonspyder.com/Jeep-Ev...ction-s/82.htm
Old 12-06-2012, 01:02 PM
JK Newbie

That is a great option poison spyders stuff is great and can take a beating!
Old 12-10-2012, 10:57 AM
JK Newbie

2012 and newer come stock with evo skids. Jeep catches on sometimes!
Old 05-08-2013, 06:52 PM
JK Newbie

I did some off roading this weekend and ripped mine off completely. Donated it to the trail. I've been driving around without it since Saturday just find. Performance doesn't seem to be jeopardized. So here's the real question. Why do I even need to bother replacing it? Hippies and tree-huggers need not reply. I realize that it's an emissions thing. BTW...I live in Michigan and we do not have strict emissions laws like many other states. Just curious if I need to be in a hurry to get it repaired.

Quick Reply: what is the EVAP Canister?