Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

wiper motor problem

Old 09-19-2010, 08:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiper motor problem

2007 jk ft. wiper when put on intermittent just goes on low speed and wipers stop where they are when switch put in off position won't return to park position if i push down on lever to mist i have to hold switch lever down or wiper will stop wherever it is - trying to figure out if motor assy bad or switch i can't find a wire diagram
Old 09-19-2010, 04:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like it's your switch, not your motor. I had a '96 Dodge Caravan that used to do the same thing. Sometimes you'd hit a bump and the wipers would turn on by themselves and stop half way.

If it were me, I'd try to locate one from a salvage yard. It appears our Jeeps share the same switch with these vehicles:

1) CALIBER 07-09
2) JOURNEY 09
3) NITRO 07-09
5) COMPASS 07-09
5) GRAND CHEROKEE 08-09
6) PATRIOT 07-09
7) PT CRUISER 07-09
Old 10-05-2010, 02:39 PM
JK Newbie

Default Ditto..same issue

My jeep is in the shop right now as I post . I have this same exact issue. Not knowing where to start , I took it in to the "experts". Dropped it off Saturday 10/2 and when they called back with the diagnoses , I was shocked . They said it is a bad wiper motor . Crud . It's only got 48,500mi. on her. I'm not over warranty on time , but I am on mileage. OUCH . Seems odd it would be a motor , and not some electronic gadget. They said it would be ready by Tuesday 10/5 since they didn't have the part. The technician said he hasn't seen one of these go out yet. est of expense...$330.00..holy cow !! How much is the motor I asked . He said $108.00..lots of labor cost involved. Still waiting to hear back from shop. would have been nice to be able to diagnose this and change it myself . Looks like an easy fix. When it comes to troubleshooting electronic things , I'm at their mercy. Stinks to be me !!
Old 10-05-2010, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had this exact same problem. They said it was the wiper motor. They replaced it. Still had the problem. Took it back and they determined it was a short. They traced the wire in the wiriring loom and fixed it. 30,000 miles later and no problem. They checked for conectivity from the switch to the motor and no reading. Hope this helps...
Old 10-06-2010, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey guys, similiar problem here. Wiper motor was (is) very noisy. I took it out and greased it, it has a bad bearing in it, so I put it back in and I am living with it now. But now it stops on the top, so I don't think it's the switch, I think it's something I must have done.
Go buy the motor yourself and save $230.00. The job is not that bad, had mine out twice already, 20minutes, if that.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was doing the exact same thing as yours -

Got noisier, was stopping intermittently. Replaced by dealer under warranty. No issues since.

I also have an 07.

Think they might have had a bad bunch of wiper motors that year.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Heyspike
Hey guys, similiar problem here. Wiper motor was (is) very noisy. I took it out and greased it, it has a bad bearing in it, so I put it back in and I am living with it now. But now it stops on the top, so I don't think it's the switch, I think it's something I must have done.
Go buy the motor yourself and save $230.00. The job is not that bad, had mine out twice already, 20minutes, if that.
pay attention when removing the drive arm off the back of the motor, if installed upside down your arms will ''park'' up instead of down.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

noise or intermittent failure is most times the motor. Absence of power to motor or incorrect behavior of the motor while running is usually the switch.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

Default Fixed wiper motor

Originally Posted by rickz
2007 jk ft. wiper when put on intermittent just goes on low speed and wipers stop where they are when switch put in off position won't return to park position if i push down on lever to mist i have to hold switch lever down or wiper will stop wherever it is - trying to figure out if motor assy bad or switch i can't find a wire diagram
Well , I never came back with the epiloge to the story . They replaced the wiper motor . It has been working flawlessly since . Dealer did the work . Tech working on it put a few scrapes in the paint below where job was done , and on the side quarter fender . Luckily , I noticed it before I left with the rig . I showed it to the service mgr. , and he took care of it with no hassles . Had to put jeep in body shop for paint . They even gave me a loaner brand new liberty . They followed thru , and that was great . And didn't leave me without wheels in the meantime !

Quick Reply: wiper motor problem