Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

White parking/blinker/side marker lens swap

Old 01-23-2010, 07:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White parking/blinker/side marker lens swap

Grey paint, grey/black fenders, white headlights, silver jeep logo, and... orange blinkers/markers. Yuck! Read on if you are thinking about switching the amber parking lights / blinkers and side marker lights with white ones. (as usual, click the pic to go to Flickr to see bigger ones)

The first phase was switching out the parkling light/blinkers. This was accomplished through a kit ordered from Quadratec - the aptly named "clear parking lamps" packge for $45.

The blinkers are packed individually, and come with bulbs. The original bulbs were white so you need the new amber bulbs to stay out of trouble with the cops. The blinkers are different for left/right so pay attention. (The location of the clip and the direction of the wire connector are different)

Disconnect the wiring harness by sliding the red safety catch a quarter inch and then pressing the black lever to release the harness. I found that turning the tire out made reaching in easier.

With the harness disconnected, reach up around the top of the light and feel for a clip/tab. Refer to one of your new lights for help finding it if you can't see. The old one is free to slide out through the front of the grill.

Be careful not to scratch up the paint in the hole.

The second phase was to switch out the side marker lights. These were purchased off of eBay for $40. The auctions say 2007-2009, but the 2010 lights are the same design.
You may be under the impression that it is trivial after doing the front lights. You will be mistaken

Two side markers in the box, pretending like they are simple to swap.

The markers have a clip at the top and tabs at the bottom. There is a left and a right so make sure you pay attention (side is molded in to the text, looks like I cut that part off in the pic though)

Here is a view up at the side marker. You can see how there is an outer fender an an inner fender, with the light unit sandwiched between.
It is in there -tight-. There are no pictures between here & done because it was such a dirty angry mess. Blood was involved.

And you are done! Enjoy your new nice clean look.

What? Wondering how we got from a picture of nothing on the side changed, to being done? Well lets just say that it involves cussing, ripping up your knuckles, trying to pry the two fender pieces apart, scowling, ripping the old light out, jamming the new one in, breaking a clip, and ripping up more knuckles. Your best bet is to search for the installation instructions and video for the Rugged Ridge Side Marker Light Guards, which also require you to remove the lights.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:35 PM
JK Newbie

hey that looks pretty sweet, do you know if they sell them blacked out instead of clear?
Old 02-10-2010, 04:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

That really is a noticable improvement
Old 02-10-2010, 06:33 AM
JK Super Freak

looks good, nice write up. ive been thinking about putting clear lenses in
Old 02-10-2010, 07:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was eyeing them do you have a night time shot?
Old 02-10-2010, 07:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DeJK21
hey that looks pretty sweet, do you know if they sell them blacked out instead of clear?
There is a seller on Ebay selling smoked ones. They are almost double the price of the clear ones on Quadratec (70 vs 40) You could always hit the clear with night shades (or the orange for thar matter) I like the smoke look better than blacked out and I dont trust the night shades to hold up long term and still look good so im going with the smoked ones for 70 beans...
Old 02-10-2010, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

@JMP sure I'll take a pic tonight. Nothing exciting - instead of white bulbs with amber lenses, you have amber bulbs with white lenses (to stay in line with road rules)

@DeJK there are people that sell black ones, but I don't buy them. I've never seen a blacked-out lens cover that does not cut the light down by an unacceptable level. The sure look nice during the day, but I pick safety at night - especially since I live somewhere that gets dark early, foggy, and rainy.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by X-caiver
Grey paint, grey/black fenders, white headlights, silver jeep logo, and... orange blinkers/markers. Yuck! Read on if you are thinking about switching the amber parking lights / blinkers and side marker lights with white ones. (as usual, click the pic to go to Flickr to see bigger ones)

The first phase was switching out the parkling light/blinkers. This was accomplished through a kit ordered from Quadratec - the aptly named "clear parking lamps" packge for $45.

The blinkers are packed individually, and come with bulbs. The original bulbs were white so you need the new amber bulbs to stay out of trouble with the cops. The blinkers are different for left/right so pay attention. (The location of the clip and the direction of the wire connector are different)

Disconnect the wiring harness by sliding the red safety catch a quarter inch and then pressing the black lever to release the harness. I found that turning the tire out made reaching in easier.

With the harness disconnected, reach up around the top of the light and feel for a clip/tab. Refer to one of your new lights for help finding it if you can't see. The old one is free to slide out through the front of the grill.

Be careful not to scratch up the paint in the hole.

The second phase was to switch out the side marker lights. These were purchased off of eBay for $40. The auctions say 2007-2009, but the 2010 lights are the same design.
You may be under the impression that it is trivial after doing the front lights. You will be mistaken

Two side markers in the box, pretending like they are simple to swap.

The markers have a clip at the top and tabs at the bottom. There is a left and a right so make sure you pay attention (side is molded in to the text, looks like I cut that part off in the pic though)

Here is a view up at the side marker. You can see how there is an outer fender an an inner fender, with the light unit sandwiched between.
It is in there -tight-. There are no pictures between here & done because it was such a dirty angry mess. Blood was involved.

And you are done! Enjoy your new nice clean look.

What? Wondering how we got from a picture of nothing on the side changed, to being done? Well lets just say that it involves cussing, ripping up your knuckles, trying to pry the two fender pieces apart, scowling, ripping the old light out, jamming the new one in, breaking a clip, and ripping up more knuckles. Your best bet is to search for the installation instructions and video for the Rugged Ridge Side Marker Light Guards, which also require you to remove the lights.
I realize this post is old now; but I need to learn from your experience on the easiest way to get the fender lights out & in?
Old 02-25-2011, 04:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got those last summer and they faded and turned yellow by the time summer was over...

I got a new set and im just gonna smoke them myself i think.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:11 PM
JK Super Freak

I got the smoked ones off ebay...maybe a year ago Anyways...still going strong!!

Quick Reply: White parking/blinker/side marker lens swap