Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep Rubicon Best 4x4 Vehicle of the Decade

Old 02-21-2010, 08:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep Rubicon Best 4x4 Vehicle of the Decade

In case you missed this article...

Four Wheeler Magazine Editors Name Jeep(R) Wrangler Rubicon Best 4x4 Vehicle of the Decade

- Four-door Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon hailed as Most Significant 4x4 -

AUBURN HILLS, Mich., Jan. 6 /PRNewswire/ --

* Four Wheeler editors refer to creation of four-door Wrangler as "...one of smartest product moves any automotive company has ever made"
* Jeep Wrangler Unlimited remains the only four-door convertible on the market
* Four-door icon delivers class-leading off-road capability, everyday practicality and open-air fun
* Recognition comes on the heels of Jeep brand being named Top Domestic Brand in Kelley Blue Book's kbb.com® 2010 Residual Value Study
* Nearly 60 percent of Wrangler sales are four-door Wrangler Unlimited model

Four Wheeler magazine editors have named the Jeep® Wrangler Rubicon and Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon the Best 4x4 Vehicle of the Decade, while calling out the four-door Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon as the decade's most significant 4x4 vehicle.

"Jeep vehicles have earned many awards in the almost 70-year history of the iconic brand, but few have been as prestigious as these accolades from the editors at Four Wheeler magazine," said Mike Manley, President and CEO - Jeep Brand, Chrysler Group LLC. "Jeep Wrangler Rubicon is clearly the most capable production vehicle on the planet, and in four-door Unlimited form, families can enjoy the combination of capability, freedom, space and comfort that only Jeep can provide."

In recognizing the 2007-present Jeep Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon as the Best 4x4 of the Decade, Four Wheeler magazine editor Doug McColloch said, "The JK (current version) Wrangler represented a big step up in on-road ride and handling for Jeep's flagship ride, yet it's off-road capability wasn't compromised in the least. If anything, it was only enhanced. Considering how competent in the dirt the previous-gen(eration) TJ was, that was no small feat for Chrysler engineers to pull off. But somehow they managed to do it, creating the decade's best four-wheel drive in the process."

In calling the 2007-present Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon the Most Significant SUV of the Decade, editor Sean Holman said, "(The decision to produce a four-door Wrangler) will probably go down in history as one of the smartest product moves any automotive company has ever made. From a Jeep customer perspective, the four-door was pure genius, opening up the sport of 'Jeeping' to families. No longer would you have to choose your kids or your gear. It also made the Jeep brand accessible to people who have always loved the idea of a Wrangler, but never thought the vehicles were large enough or functional enough to fit their lifestyle and/or needs."

The four-door Wrangler Unlimited model accounts for 59 percent of Wrangler sales.

Jeep Brand Boasts Highest Resale Value Among All Domestic Brands

Recognition from the editors at Four Wheeler magazine comes on the heels of Jeep being named the top domestic brand in Kelley Blue Book's kbb.com® 2010 Residual Value Study.

According to the study, the Jeep brand boasts the highest resale value among all domestic brands and its vehicles will maintain 35.7 percent of their original value after five years of ownership - more than 3 percent above the industry average.

The Jeep brand resale value improves for 2010 as the industry average declines.

"This achievement is a testament to the strength and heritage of the Jeep brand," said James Bell, Executive Market Analyst - Kelley Blue Book. "The word 'Jeep' has long stood for strength, portraying the vision of what a Jeep is, and what it can do. The Wrangler has, and continues to be the backbone of this marque, drawing a strong and loyal following, helping to maintain its value."

"We are pleased that the Jeep brand has been recognized by Kelley Blue Book for earning the highest resale value among domestic brands, and that Jeep has improved significantly in a difficult year that has seen the industry decline," said Manley. "The Jeep brand's high resale value is a testament to a legendary, iconic brand that provides consumers an array of SUVs that deliver a unique blend of freedom and adventure, capability, best-in-class claims and value."
Old 02-21-2010, 08:56 PM
JK Freak

Makes you feel pretty intelligent for having one, huh?
Old 02-21-2010, 09:25 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Took them a while to figure it out.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

The unlimited was the best financial decision they ever made. Having said that, the vast majority of people driving them are soccer moms and other no-wave ppl who know nothing about a jeep.

While none of those people are on this website, I think offroad capability will further succumb to the demands of the non-offroad public for a "SUV" comfort drive.

I wonder if that will hurt the 'small family' ideal many of us have had with jeeps for many years? I worry about where jeep is headed in the future and what that means for those who like to wheel? Will we become a very small minority?

I dont know.

One positive thing for sure is that with this popularity of jeeps now (unlimited is the best selling jeep product of all time), the brand isnt at any risk of going away though it may change.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mmacJK
the vast majority of people driving them are soccer moms and other no-wave ppl who know nothing about a jeep.
I disagree! Darn near every Unlimited JK I have seen has been a man driving it! And alot of two door Jeeps are being driven by chicks.

Heck just on Friday I had a hot chick driving a two door Wrangler checking me out. Yeah I think she liked the Jeep too.

That is not meant to upset the fellas here who bought the two door Jeep Wrangler.

For the Jeeps, soccer moms are driving Cherokees, but mostly they drive the Liberty. Liberty is very popular among women for a lot of reasons.

As for the wave crowd, we wave when we can. Is she hot enough to wave too?
Old 02-23-2010, 04:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mmacJK
Having said that, the vast majority of people driving them are soccer moms and other no-wave ppl who know nothing about a jeep.
I got a unlimited, so I'm a soccer mom ! wait a sec:
I'm a guy
I don't have children yet
I hate soccer.

I must be weirdo to want space in a jeep !
Old 02-23-2010, 04:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a dood, I almost bought an Unlimited.

Then I realized that 99% of my time driving it would be solo. No need for doors #3 & 4.

Also wanted a soft top as opposed to hard top. I live in a second story apartment and im single. Which means its hard to take it off...and then I gotta find some way to carry it up and store it. No thanks!
Old 02-23-2010, 06:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I drive a JK Rubicon short bus myself. If soccer moms wanna check me out, I'm ok with that.

Most of the guys I know who bought JK's opted for the 4 door model. If I had wanted a 2 door Jeep I would have bought a TJ. Cheaper, more parts, etc.

I bought my Unlimited as one day I want to have a family but I don't want to give up my Jeep. Now I can still carry kid seats in the back and know they'll be safe. I also like being able to throw my ski's in the back without having to worry about room. I can fit 3 guys, ski's, and all their gear in the JK and not feel crowded. Not a bad thing IMO.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rawb77
No need for doors #3 & 4.
Until you have driven an extended cab pickup, or crew cab, you really do not know.

I feel the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon has as much interior room as my Super Duty had. Of course I do not have the bed to haul, but the Jeep tows 4-5K lbs.

So if I need to haul I will hook up the trailer and go.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

Skippman you said it! It is about not feeling crowded. Seriously, jump into a 4 door crew cab and look around. Interior space of the Wrangler Unlimited is bigger. If you do not need a pickup bed, the Unlimited is perfect! Anyhow, there are very pickups being built with an @ss-kickin off-road setup. Ford has a new Raptor F-150, but I'm guessing it will be so over-priced only a few will be sold.

Quick Reply: Jeep Rubicon Best 4x4 Vehicle of the Decade