Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Start your 6spd without clutch? YES

Old 02-15-2009, 01:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Start your 6spd without clutch? YES

Disclaimer: Do at your own risk.

I searched everywhere and couldn't find any info, I know it's been done considering some people have remote starts on there 6spd JK's. That was what prompted me and the fact I prefer to just reaching in and turn the key to warm it up. I am aware of the consequences of leaving it in gear and cranking. So again "DO AT YOUR OWN RISK".
1: Pop hood
2: Near front driver side headlight you will see a cast aluminum thingy with three black plugs(red slider locks)
3: Assuming you found it, third plug from left closest to radiator(there's one empty location) slide red slider to unlock and pull out.
4: Slice open wire loom(carefully) locate solid yellow with red stripe.
5: To test, strip a little of the insulation back, run a scrap wire from yellow/red wire to a good ground. MAKE SURE IT IS IN NEUTRAL! Twist key and let out a sigh of relief, it starts with now clutch.
6: Assuming you're not pinned under your jeep. Shut engine down.
7: What I did was to poke a hole through center of exposed copper of yellow/red wire.
8: Then take a 8 to 10" piece of spare wire and strip end.
9: Insert stripped end through hole made in step 7 and twist 'em nice and tight.
10: Solder(optional but prefered) new wire to yellow/red. Wrap with a good quality electrical tape.
11: Other end of 8 to 10" wire crimp a 1/4" ring terminal(optional, I solder the wire in end once I crimp)
12: Locate ground lug near driver fender, loosen nut with a 10mm open end or socket and secure ring terminal.
13: Make sure no tools or other crap is laying around under hood and close her up.
SEE PICS BELOW:PM ME WITH ANY ?'s

I take no responsibility in anything that may or may not happen if you perform this mod.

ENJOY!!!!! BTW this isn't my usual camera, when I install the remote start I'll have better pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3rdplugfromleftfinished.jpg
Views:	2977
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	19347   Click image for larger version

Name:	groundupclose.jpg
Views:	2394
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	19348   Click image for larger version

Name:	newgroundspliced.jpg
Views:	3061
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	19349   Click image for larger version

Name:	plugwithwirereadyforsplice.jpg
Views:	3108
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	19350  
The following users liked this post:
SinnedJk (08-03-2023)
Old 02-15-2009, 01:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SONIC
why would you want it to start without the clutch?
i woudl like to be able to have it start in neutral with no clutch though...

you do know that in 4 lo is does that stock right?

UH YEAH. Start without clutch. Maybe I should have refrased it but it's somewhat Obvious I meant in neutral. Some people want to reach in and start it to warm it up. Others like me, will install a remote start.

Last edited by phnguyjk; 02-15-2009 at 01:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Cabo Bri (12-20-2022)
Old 02-15-2009, 04:40 PM
JK Newbie

Default CLUTCH BYPASS FOR 6 Speeds

Apparently this was misunderstood by a couple of people. What this does is allow you, me, anyone to start their jeep without getting in or stretching your leg in and pressing the clutch pedal in. Say your significant other is in the passenger seat and you're loading in the back, and he/she wants to start the jeep, now I know it's not too tough to stop what you're doing and get in or reach in press the clutch and twist key. But with this mod you can toss the keys to he/she, and he/she can insert the key and twist and engine will start, ie. he/she didn't push clutch pedal in. Just be sure it's in NEUTRAL. Yes 4lo allows you to do this, well if you want, now you can do it in 2high, 4high, and still 4Lo and even neutral. Any DIY's planning to install a remote start on a 6spd JK this will help.
Thanks, and sorry for the rant.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:01 PM
JK Newbie

[QUOTE=SONIC;949832]Cool cool, and yeah i got what you meant.
Just be careful with it lol[/QUOT

Sorry.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for a great post. I will do this.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SONIC
I would do this, but id end up starting it in gear and ramming something lol
(or someone else would)
Quick personal story. '99 Mercury cougar(mine, yeah it was a mistake.). Dealer installed remote start(5 spd). Had that whole push button,step onbrake ect. safety feature. Well check engine light came on after 6mos. Drop it off for warranty repair. They call me the next day to inform me they had a bit of an accident with my car. I said how bad? can I drive it? I get a long pause then a
"oooohh Noooo". Their tech left it in gear and reached in with his foot to start it to scan the computer. Well $13,000 and about four months of arguing I finally got it back for a bad gas cap(check engine light). You know what I'll risk it again, I like my remote start.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

80 miles and no troubles with this mod. But low and behold. If you have the 6spd and cruise control the clutch cancels the cruise control without mod. In this case clutch grounded means cruise will not "set" speed. What I did although I don't use cruise all that much was to install a small toggle switch on the dash connected to the spliced ground under the hood. Now when I'm driving and want to use cruise I flip the switch(opening the ground) and set cruise control. Also this acts as a extra security if someone uses you're jeep and you don't want to risk them leaving it in gear just flip the switch and remote start can't start it.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by putnam dan
I've never had the newfangled safety clutch start on a manual before and it's a bloody annoyance.
X2

so could install the Mopar remote start kit with the clutch out of the way?

great write up
Old 03-01-2009, 10:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just did it, took about 5min. so far so good!!
Old 03-05-2009, 08:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha, I like this mod even though i got a auto. I would say run a switch to the dash use it like a clutch interlock switch on a toyota. That way you can mess with people. My friend drove a toyota pick up and i freaked him out but pushing the button befor he go in and told him just to turn the key. long story short and a open parking lot. I was rolling and he had wet pants.

Quick Reply: Start your 6spd without clutch? YES