Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Spontaneous combustion in Australia

Old 09-18-2008, 02:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Spontaneous combustion in Australia

G'day everyone,

Have just seen a report on our current affairs , referring to jeep wrangler,cherekee , spontaneously combusting during the early stages of ownership . No comment from JEEP . Not joking .

CAN ANYONE SHED ANY LIGHT ON THIS SITUATION , or of any similar incidents around the world .

Look forward to any constructive comments .

Cheers Stumpy

Last edited by stumpygq; 09-18-2008 at 02:12 AM.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:41 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

G-day, Stumpygq! Hey, I hope you're not planning on writing up how we can all burn up our JKs--that's something most of us would rather avoid! LOL.

There have been a couple JKs that have burnt up that have been discussed on JK-Forum. Check out these threads:

Another Burnt Up JK?

My Brother's JK Caught Fire ...

Unofficial JK-Forum consensus is that this is somehow related to auto transmission models; I don't believe there have been any reports of manuals catching fire like this.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 09-18-2008 at 04:47 AM.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stumpygq
No comment from JEEP

That's the part that scares me. I cannot believe they don't have anything to say about it. I have an auto and it freaks me out to think that it may just burtst into flames.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was waiting at AutoZone last night for the guy to give me back my oil catch pan and saw a universal transmission cooler and thought about getting it and installing it due to the fires assoc with the auto tranny's. I drive a standard, but it would be one less thing for me to worry about. I was in Colorado last month and on the drive back to Denver from Leadville I saw BIG truck and SUV after truck and suv pulled over because there radiators poped! Retards needed to look cool and drive up through Eisenhower Tunnel with the windows up and A/C blasting! Hard to cool like a bad ass rolling on 28" rims on the side of the road with coolent all over the highway with the hood up looking around trying to find the radiator cap. I saw more JEEPs in ten minutes in Colorado then I do in a week in Austin, Dang I miss Colorado. But back to the Trans....... Why didn't JEEP just install tranny coolers from the factory on all Wranglers? Granted not all of us will need them, but it would give the tranny that much more reliablity and would prob save JEEP a tonn of money in the long run. Suddenly that scene in Fight Club comes to mind where he's talking about the cost of a recall equation.................... kinda makes up wonder huh

Last edited by neopj3; 09-18-2008 at 06:32 AM. Reason: forgot
Old 09-18-2008, 07:24 AM
JK Freak

Carry a fire extinguisher, I guess.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:40 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by neopj3
... saw a universal transmission cooler and thought about getting it and installing it due to the fires assoc with the auto tranny's. I drive a standard ...
They have a transmission cooler that will fit a standard?
Old 09-18-2008, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
They have a transmission cooler that will fit a standard?
Of course you could but you would also need a pump to circulate the oil. Not to mention an inlet and outlet fittings installed in the tranny housing.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:20 AM
JK Freak

wow, guess i will have to keep full coverage auto insurance for the life of the jeep
Old 09-18-2008, 01:13 PM
JK Newbie

Thanx guys for your responses ,

Only had my jk unlimited for fortnight , and had no previous knowledge of this problem until yesterday . But it seems it is not only restricted to wranglers,but all brands of jeep .( wranglar,cherekee,liberty).

Only know of about 3 burning over here ,1 wrangler, and 2 cherekees.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well at least we'll all go out with a bang.

Quick Reply: Spontaneous combustion in Australia