Notices
Armed Forces If you are serving our country by being a member of the Armed Forces and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members serving with you, this is the forum for you.

Armed Forces Care Packages for JK-Forum members

Old 02-07-2011, 08:22 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Armed Forces Care Packages for JK-Forum members

One of our forum members, Christine, contacted me with an idea she had.
She would like to start a thread here, for Military members of JK-Forum stationed abroad to let us know what they need to keep fighting on. Mostly about sundry items like toiletries and socks, notepaper and pens etc. Well, I think it is a wonderful idea, and hopefully it will take off.
I spoke briefly with Admin, and they are happy to allow it as long as it remains at a user level and doesn’t involve money changing hands or goods being collected. If we keep this at a member level of people mailing items on their own to soldiers in need then it would be fine.
So,

Ground Rules.
  • Military members are encouraged to post items that they may need or desire to help them out.
  • Please do NOT post contact information such as addresses/emails in the open forum, we ask that this be handled via PM between members and those they wish to help out. Posting names & addresses openly is objectionable to some people and may in some cases be harmful to service member’s safety or even illegal.
  • This thread is NOT to be used to raise funds in any manner. If any funds start changing hands, I will have no choice but to delete this thread in its entirety. This is the last thing I wish to see happen, So please, just don’t go there. We simply do not have the resources to deal with it beyond that level. So, I hope you can understand our position.
  • This thread is NOT to be used for the collection of goods at any central point. If you wish to ship it, you need to get it yourself, and mail it yourself, using your own funds. Hence the term care package.
  • This thread is intended to be informational, so that members can compile care packages, on their own, to be shipped, on their own to Military members abroad.
I borrowed some of this from Soldiers Angels, a very worthy cause if any of you are interested please Google them up.
Examples of items that might be in need:

Food:
Powdered Drink Mixes (individual packets are best)
Cookies, crackers, pretzels (in snack sizes)
Tuna in a pouch
Beef, chicken or turkey jerky
Cheese spread (no aerosol cans!)
Ramen noodles
Snack cakes
Gum
Nuts
Granola bars
Pop Tarts
Dried fruit
Trail mix
Pistachios
Raisins
Canned meats (no pork products)
Hard candy (individually-wrapped)
NO CHOCOLATE, it Melts!!!

Sports Equipment:
Baseballs
Baseball gloves
Soccer balls
Basketballs
Volleyballs
Squirt guns
Frisbees

Entertainment:
AA & AAA batteries
Books (mysteries, action, drama, science fiction)
Magazines – new or nearly new (sports, news, entertainment, travel, nature)
Playing cards
Small hand-held games
Crossword puzzles
CD's\DVD's

Hygiene Supplies:
Facial cleansing pads
Moisturizing lotion
Wet Wipes
Eye drops
Lip balm
Toothpaste
Toothbrushes
Soap
Body wash
Shampoo and conditioner
Deodorant
Socks
Sunblock
Foot powder
Miscellaneous
Blank cards
Stationary, paper
Pens
Letters
Ziploc bags (sandwich, qt., gal. sizes)

These are just examples. Individual needs will of course vary, which is the underlying intent of this thread.

SHIPPING:
You may want to check with the post office for a list of items that are allowable to send.

When my wife and I where mailing items for Soldiers Angels there was a discounted flat rate box available just for that purpose (it had to be going to an APO to qualify), I do not know if that program is still in effect, but it saved us a bundle on shipping.

Helping the members here is more personal than Soldiers Angels as we somewhat "know" them, or even those serving beside them and that is a nice idea. A little closer to home I think & I like that.

Thank you for your support of our Military, as a prior US Soldier (though I do believe once a soldier, always a soldier) and an American I appreciate it more than you could know, and so do all who serve.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a great idea. I have been downrange twice getting ready for a third. Depending on where your at it can be difficult at best to get some basic supplies. Sometimes you gotta wait a month or more for simple things. I know my brothers and sisters downrange will definitely appreciate it!
Old 02-11-2011, 08:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a 5-time deployer and getting ready for my 6th soon, this is a phenomenal idea. PM me!

Last edited by ed-d97; 02-11-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just returned from another deployment, it was always great to get care packages. One thing I did not see on the list is phone cards, all the guys enjoyed receiving them so they could call home. Also if you go to the Green Bean website you can order $2 coupons to be distributed to service members that sign up for the cup of joe program. If you are planning on sending a package to a specific person you can buy a gift card from the site as well. Shamaughs/scarves are always useful as well, especially in the desert areas. My unit over there had a drawer full of toothpaste, soap, chapstick, etc that had all been collected from care packages. It helped us make do until the BX got in new inventory. Some care packages also had itunes cards, not a necessity by any means, but it helped with morale. I also saw a lot of the younger guys playing hackey sack, that might be something to throw in the packages as well.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:41 AM
Eternal ***erator

The list was only intended as some suggestions of what people might ask for.
The suggestions on things to send are much appreciated, the list of possibilites is by no means inclusive, it never was intended to be. It was only meant to get people thinking about what might get asked for. (phone cards & itunes cards are a nice idea, i always enjoyed getting phone time)
Old 02-14-2011, 03:42 AM
Eternal ***erator

Now, Please, everyone READ THE OPENING POST.

I have been asked numerous times already about where people can send these items. I appreciate your efforts, but I thought i was VERY clear above in the opening post that we are NOT operating that way.

To be 100% absolutely CLEAR. we are NOT assembling a pile of general care packages to be sent out. Soldiers Angels or other such groups do a phenominal job of that already & that is NOT the intent of this effort.

What we ARE doing is allowing our forum members who serve to SPECIFICALLY ask for things that they might need that they otherwise might not recieve. Then forum members can fill those requests if they so chose.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:05 AM
JK Newbie

Red face

Lets See.....
A problem that we have in Afghanistan is that most Care Packages go to the Big Bases. Not the small camps where they need it the most. You listed most the items we need but I will re-list the ones that need emphasis:
(SMALL CAMPS)
Magazines (testosterone based, Cars, Trucks, Jeeps, Guns, Fishing, etc...)
Toe Nail Clippers
Boot Socks (Hot and Cold Weather)
White Socks
Shave Cream
Coffee
Coffee Filters
Powdered Creamer
Coffee Cups
Coffee Makers (Small)
More Magazines (we read these things til the covers fall off)
Wet Wipes are nice to have
Pistacios and other shelled nuts would be nice (Almonds and what not)
Gummy Bears are the bomb!

Most of us turn into minimalist here, especially the small places. Good coffee is so hard to come by. Chow hall coffee is like chewing bad coffee beans.

I can say that I can live on Magazines and Coffee.

As far as mailings.....there are so many places to get that info. Almost everyone knows someone in the Military. I advise addressing it to the Chaplain, they do a good job of getting it to those who really need it. You can even put in a note asking them to send it to Smaller Bases (COPs). Something like this:

TO:
The Troops (Attn: Chaplain)
FOB Tiny, APO AE......

Thank You America, We really love you and do what we do for YOU. Damn sure ain't for the money :-)
Old 03-31-2011, 07:45 AM
Eternal ***erator

Those are all great suggestions to add to the list if anyone wishes to assemble and mail a general care package. Thank you, I am sure people who are doing that will appreciate the input.

What this thread is really about though is for individual soldiers to request specific items that they need for themselves (or thier fellow soldiers) and cant get. Those items will be gathered by someone here and shipped to that SPECIFIC soldier. Not a general APO address for distribution by some unknown third party. That is the intent anyhow.

The idea is, for example: If you need 10 sets of nail clippers for you and your bunkmates, then ask for 10 pairs of clippers. Someone will (hopefully) shoot you a PM to request YOUR specific mailing address & ship them directly to YOU, then YOU can hand them to your friends personally. Then we know those things got sent to exactly where they are needed. If members chose to fill the box with other bonus items on the list then that is even better.

Getting these miscellaneous items to the smallest of bases and units that need them most is what i would very much like to see happen. Been there, and yes, the little guy gets forgotten easily, and the coffee is awful.

If you make a post about something you need and dont get any PM's from people who wish to send it to you, then PM me and I will do what i can to get the word out, or I'll just take care of it myself.

General care packages get sent by other organizations already so we where just trying a different, more personal & specific angle. If anyone wants to send general care packages though, by all means please do! Sending them to a small unit chaplain is an excellent suggestion.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:56 AM
JK Newbie

Jeep magazines!
Old 03-31-2011, 11:11 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks again Happy! You guys are the best

Quick Reply: Armed Forces Care Packages for JK-Forum members