Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

How long can a dealer keep your car for warranty repair without a loaner or rental

Old 01-27-2023, 08:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How long can a dealer keep your car for warranty repair without a loaner or rental

I have a 2009 JKU Rubicon that I've owned since new. I bought it when they had the lifetime powertrain warranty on it. Recently, my transmission, a 6 speed manual, was shifting very poorly, almost undriveable. I brought it into the dealer, they checked it out, said it needs a new transmission, and that it's covered by the warranty. Everything sounded great, but then I get a message from them a couple of days later saying that the transmissions are backordered and the estimated delivery date is 45 days later.

I asked them if they could provide a loaner or rental car, but they said due to the age of my Jeep that they wouldn't, and they put me in contact with Jeep corporate about the matter. I talked to the people at Jeep, and after a few days they came back and said that they wouldn't provide a loaner or rental car either. I asked them if there was anything they could do to speed up the repair, and they said they would try.

I've been hearing from my Jeep Case Manager once a week since then, but nothing new until this week when I was informed that it might take longer than 45 days to get the transmission, and that they had no ETA for it. I know supply chains are messed up, but this is ridiculous. If they provided a loaner or rental, I wouldn't mind too much, but I am currently paying for a rental car out of my own pocket.

What's the point of having a warranty if they can keep your vehicle for an indefinite period of time, while not providing alternative means of transportation? Does anyone know if there are any laws regarding this situation? Obviously lemon laws won't apply due to the age of the vehicle, but this doesn't seem right to me.
Old 01-27-2023, 09:17 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Is the transmission out of it?

The Cut-and Paste below is from the 2009 warranty book. After reading all of the "Not Covered" statements, pay particular attention to the last sentence.

1.1 Incidental and Consequential
Damages Not Covered
Your warranties don’t cover any incidental or
consequential damages connected with your vehicle’s
failure, either while under warranty or afterward.
Examples of such damages include:
• lost time;
• inconvenience;
• the loss of the use of your vehicle;
• the cost of rental vehicles, gasoline, telephone,
travel, or lodging;
• the loss of personal or commercial property; and
• the loss of revenue.
Some states don’t allow incidental or consequential
damages to be excluded or limited, so this exclusion
may not apply to you.
Old 01-27-2023, 11:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Is the transmission out of it?

The Cut-and Paste below is from the 2009 warranty book. After reading all of the "Not Covered" statements, pay particular attention to the last sentence.

1.1 Incidental and Consequential
Damages Not Covered
Your warranties don’t cover any incidental or
consequential damages connected with your vehicle’s
failure, either while under warranty or afterward.
Examples of such damages include:
• lost time;
• inconvenience;
• the loss of the use of your vehicle;
• the cost of rental vehicles, gasoline, telephone,
travel, or lodging;
• the loss of personal or commercial property; and
• the loss of revenue.
Some states don’t allow incidental or consequential
damages to be excluded or limited, so this exclusion
may not apply to you.
Yes, the transmission is out, and the Jeep is sitting at the dealer where it has been since 12/21/22. The transmission has been out of the vehicle since at least 12/26/22. I wasn't expecting a loaner or rental car if the repair were completed in a reasonable period of time. I don't think that 45 days plus is a reasonable period of time. When someone providing a warranty can't fulfill the obligations of that warranty in a reasonable period of time, they should make some accommodation to compensate the customer for the unusual delay.
Old 01-27-2023, 12:17 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Have you asked if they will put it back together so you can drive it until the new transmission comes in? (You said it shifts poorly, but is not undriveable.)
Have you checked if your state is one where they cannot exclude a loaner in your circumstance? (Referring to the last sentence in the warranty statement.)

Did they consider the possibility of having your transmission rebuilt, or installing a used one?

This is addressed in your warranty book.
4. Other Terms of Your
Warranties
4.1 Exchanged Parts May Be Used in
Warranty Repairs

In the interest of customer satisfaction,
Chrysler Motors LLC ("Chrysler") may offer exchange
service on some vehicle parts. This service is
intended to reduce the amount of time your vehicle is
not available for your use because of repairs.
Parts
used in exchange service may be new, remanufactured,
reconditioned, or repaired, depending on the
part involved.
All exchange parts that might be used meet
Chrysler standards, and have the same warranties as
new parts.
Examples of the kinds of parts that might be
serviced in this way are:
• engine assemblies;
• transmission assemblies;
• instrument cluster assemblies;
• radios, tape, CD and DVD players;
• speedometers; and
• powertrain control modules.
To help control suspected ozone-depleting agents,
the EPA requires the capture, purification, and
reuse of automotive air-conditioning refrigerant
gases. As a result, a repair to the sealed portion of
your air-conditioning system may involve the
installation of purified reclaimed refrigerant.

Old 01-27-2023, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 358 Likes on 334 Posts

This is from the 2009 Jeep Warranty PDF :
1. Your Legal Rights Under These Limited Warranties The warranties contained in this booklet are the only express warranties that Chrysler Motors LLC ("Chrysler") makes for your vehicle. These warranties give you specific legal rights. You may also have other rights that vary from state to state. For example, you may have some implied warranties, depending on the state where your vehicle was sold or is registered. These implied warranties are limited, to the extent allowed by law, to the time periods covered by the express written warranties contained in this booklet. If you use your vehicle primarily for business or commercial purposes, then these implied warranties do not apply and Chrysler completely disclaims them to the extent allowed by law. And the implied warranty of fitness for a particular purpose does not apply if your vehicle is used for racing, even if the vehicle is equipped for racing. Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitations may not apply to you. 1.1 Incidental and Consequential Damages Not Covered Your warranties don’t cover any incidental or consequential damages connected with your vehicle’s failure, either while under warranty or afterward. Examples of such damages include: • lost time; • inconvenience; • the loss of the use of your vehicle; • the cost of rental vehicles, gasoline, telephone, travel, or lodging; • the loss of personal or commercial property; and • the loss of revenue. Some states don’t allow incidental or consequential damages to be excluded
Old 01-27-2023, 01:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk
This is from the 2009 Jeep Warranty PDF :
1. Your Legal Rights Under These Limited Warranties The warranties contained in this booklet are the only express warranties that Chrysler Motors LLC ("Chrysler") makes for your vehicle. These warranties give you specific legal rights. You may also have other rights that vary from state to state. For example, you may have some implied warranties, depending on the state where your vehicle was sold or is registered. These implied warranties are limited, to the extent allowed by law, to the time periods covered by the express written warranties contained in this booklet. If you use your vehicle primarily for business or commercial purposes, then these implied warranties do not apply and Chrysler completely disclaims them to the extent allowed by law. And the implied warranty of fitness for a particular purpose does not apply if your vehicle is used for racing, even if the vehicle is equipped for racing. Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitations may not apply to you. 1.1 Incidental and Consequential Damages Not Covered Your warranties don’t cover any incidental or consequential damages connected with your vehicle’s failure, either while under warranty or afterward. Examples of such damages include: • lost time; • inconvenience; • the loss of the use of your vehicle; • the cost of rental vehicles, gasoline, telephone, travel, or lodging; • the loss of personal or commercial property; and • the loss of revenue. Some states don’t allow incidental or consequential damages to be excluded
I wasn't expecting a loaner or rental car when I brought the Jeep in, but that was under the assumption that the repairs would be performed in a reasonable time frame. I made an appointment 3 weeks in advance with the dealership to make sure that they could get right on my Jeep rather than having it sit around for a while. The dealership did their part; they had it apart and checked out within a few days despite my bringing it in a few days before Christmas. If they could have gotten the transmission, I have every reason to believe that the Jeep would have been together within a few days after that.

Unfortunately, Jeep dropped the ball by obviously not having an adequate supply of these transmissions in stock. Considering that the NSG370 transmission has been used in multiple Jeep models including all of the JKs, they should have an excellent idea of the failure rate and how many they should keep in stock to service their customers. The result is that I've already been without my Jeep for 35 days with some unknown amount of time left to go. I don't think that's a reasonable amount of time to expect for warranty repairs. Jeep didn't do their job properly and they should take care of their customer to deal with their screwup.

Last edited by GregD; 01-27-2023 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-27-2023, 01:48 PM
JK Newbie

Have you asked if they will put it back together so you can drive it until the new transmission comes in? (You said it shifts poorly, but is not undriveable.)
Have you checked if your state is one where they cannot exclude a loaner in your circumstance? (Referring to the last sentence in the warranty statement.)

Did they consider the possibility of having your transmission rebuilt, or installing a used one?

This is addressed in your warranty book.
4. Other Terms of Your
Warranties
4.1 Exchanged Parts May Be Used in
Warranty Repairs

In the interest of customer satisfaction,
Chrysler Motors LLC ("Chrysler") may offer exchange
service on some vehicle parts. This service is
intended to reduce the amount of time your vehicle is
not available for your use because of repairs.
Parts
used in exchange service may be new, remanufactured,
reconditioned, or repaired, depending on the
part involved.
All exchange parts that might be used meet
Chrysler standards, and have the same warranties as
new parts.
Examples of the kinds of parts that might be
serviced in this way are:
• engine assemblies;
• transmission assemblies;
• instrument cluster assemblies;
• radios, tape, CD and DVD players;
• speedometers; and
• powertrain control modules.
To help control suspected ozone-depleting agents,
the EPA requires the capture, purification, and
reuse of automotive air-conditioning refrigerant
gases. As a result, a repair to the sealed portion of
your air-conditioning system may involve the
installation of purified reclaimed refrigerant.
The dealership priced out the cost of rebuilding my transmission, but since that came out to significantly more than getting a new one, Jeep required them to install a new one. They didn't provide an option of a used one. Considering the possible failure rates of a used transmission, and the cost of installing it, it would actually be pretty dumb for Jeep to put in a used transmission when replacing one under warranty.
Old 01-27-2023, 01:55 PM
JK Newbie

They didn't suggest the option of putting it back together, so I assume that I would have to pay for them to put it back together and then take it apart again if I wanted to do that. Also, the transmission was disassembled to check it out, so that would have to be put together as well. It would be quite a bit of work to get my Jeep back together. Also, it was nearly undriveable. If you didn't get just the right rhythym when shifting gears, it would either not come out of gear or not go into the next one. My wife refused to drive it any more because of this. This occurred will all gears 1 through 6. As far as I know, there's nothing in Colorado law that requires a loaner when a car is in for repair.

Last edited by GregD; 01-27-2023 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-03-2023, 08:37 AM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Any luck on parts yet? Never a good time to be without a vehicle, hopefully they are working with you to get something to drive or get you back on the road
Old 02-03-2023, 08:49 AM
JK Newbie

Still waiting on a transmission with no ETA from Jeep. The Jeep has been at the dealer since 12/21/22. I'm currently renting a car and paying out of my pocket.

Quick Reply: How long can a dealer keep your car for warranty repair without a loaner or rental