Notices
Armed Forces If you are serving our country by being a member of the Armed Forces and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members serving with you, this is the forum for you.

South Korea??

Old 06-18-2008, 11:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default South Korea??

Hey all....so I just joined the Army...Going in as a CPT (Physician Assistant)..will be active in 6 weeks.

Found out today that my first duty station is 2 years in Yongsan, South Korea, the wife will be able to accompany.

Anyone have any good.. to do's...not to do's ...recommendations...thoughts ..memories..places to visit .. .etc?

Will I need the JK in Korea?

Any insight or info appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 06-18-2008, 12:05 PM
JK Freak

Hey man, congrats on the Army! I thank you for serving our country, it takes a stronger person than myself to do that job!
Old 06-18-2008, 12:31 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks

Thanks Rusty

I was in the national guard for about 8 years , and have been thinking of going active for a few years now. I am a civilian trained Physician Assistant and the Army offered me some big time tax free student loan repayment, and yes a chance to serve my country. I originally requested Hawaii , but they need me in South Korea...so let the adventure begin!!!
Old 06-18-2008, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Honestly if you going to Yongsan, South Korea on an accompanied tour, leave the JK at home IMO, buy a hooptie and see the country. You will not see everything before you leave. If your into music playing, check out the factories (guitar etc).
Old 06-19-2008, 10:32 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thank you for serving!

As a retired 1SG I want to say thank you for serving. As for Korea, I was station at Camp Howze in the North but Yongsan is a great place, there's a lot to do and see. You and the wife will have a good time. You can bring the Jeep and it will bring a lot of attention for you but there is a good (almost 100%) chance it will get banged up!!!! Picture a small city with a million drivers all who think they have the right away!!! Good luck and if you need anything, just ask!!
Old 06-19-2008, 10:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sound advice Top.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:28 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the advice guys,

Yhea I was thinking that bringing the JEEP would be a bad idea, but the thought of it sitting around for 2 years while I make payments on it kinda stinks. Maybe one of my friends will at least drive it around a bit while I'm over there.

My wife and I have been reading as much as we can on the internet about S. Korea, but hearing from others who have actually been there has by far been the best advice.

Lucky me gets to arrive there in November which I'm told is frigid cold, but we are very excited to take in the far east culture.

Thanks again for the advice, and if anyone has any "must do's or try while in South Korea" let me know.

Thanks,

CPT Mercer (as of today )
Old 06-19-2008, 01:21 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-PAC
... CPT Mercer (as of today )
While over there, plan some leave to take advantage of military hops/cheap commercial air to visit other places. I was assigned to Thailand (2-1/2 years), Philippines (1-year) and Guam (1-year) and would love to go back to revisit many of the great places over there. And congrat's on the promotion!
Old 06-19-2008, 03:45 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks Mark,

Actually not a promotion I direct commissioned from civilian to Army as a CPT and the board notified me today of the commission. (will swear in next week).

... we've had alot of people tell us to make sure and take hops to Guam, Thailand, Japan, China....I guess if it gets too cold in the winter we can take some leave and hop on over to a warm beach somewhere.

My position in Korea is non-deployable..so we're def. gonna take advantage of military hops and leave...who knows what my 3rd year will bring...(bet it involves some dessert sand though..lol)

I'm starting to feel like two years over there isn't even going to allow me to scratch the surface of places/things to see.

btw..Mark did you take any language classes...Rosetta Stone ..etc?

Would you recommend it?
Old 06-20-2008, 01:18 AM
JK Junkie

I'm Air Force and was stationed at Osan AB in 2000-2001 and again in 2007-2008. Like it's been said, leave the Jeep here and buy a beater car cause it will get beat up over there. The weather doesn't get "frigid" but it will get cold for a few months. Stock up on the mink blankets Defintely get out and see that side of the world cause you can see all Korea has to offer in about 6 months. Oh, and be prepared for some culture shock.

Quick Reply: South Korea??