Notices
Armed Forces If you are serving our country by being a member of the Armed Forces and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members serving with you, this is the forum for you.

South Korea??

Old 06-30-2008, 07:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
I was at Osan for a few years myself, absolutely loved it.
~Love those mink blankets, I still have one on my bed and people constantly try to steal it on me. Still got piles of the little bronze/brass trinkets.
~get the wife a nice jewelry box while you are there, there are some great ones to be had cheap, - you'll find out what i mean. The shopping is an experience in and of itself.
~I think it actually snowed where it stuck about 3 times total when i was there (over two winters) but there where days when it was just brutally cold on the flightline, and damned near arctic in the back of a JG.
~Rains like a mo-fo in the deluge season, and you'll swear it'll never stop... then one day BAM it's over and everything is the most beautiful shades of green that you will ever see
~ taking the wife is a good thing in my eyes. I saw a lot of married's end up leaving there divorced. The temptations are pretty strong. (and not worth it imho)
~hike the mountains, they are AWESOME
~make plans to hit Chejudo Island. It's just plain gorgeous. Period. One of the top 5 places i ever was.
~Soju is not your friend, it makes you wake up in ditches, eat crap you would otherwise NEVER stuff under your nose, or come to in places where you will happily gnaw your own arm off to escape undetected.
~Soju is unregulated, and therefor highly unpredictable in it's effects.
~Yakimondu is skanky when your not laced with Soju.
~The aftertaste of that stuff the next morning will take the enamel off your teeth and the paint off the walls.
~the older Koreans are awesome
~the younger ones, 20-30age group, will likely not care much for you.
~blondes are a commodity.
~redheads are the devil.

thats pretty much dead on...lol

i never went to chejudo, though. i heard it was awesome.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:26 PM
JK Newbie

Default Update

Once again I appreciate everyones info. I actually got my orders yesterday and My wife and I will have base housing in Yongsan......but I am being assigned as a Physician Assistant to Camp Casey- 1/15th Field Artillery at the Hovey CTAS.

I am told at Camp Casey I will be assigned officer bachelor quarters and when I am able too and on the weekends/ holidays ..I can take the hour long trip back to stay with my wife in Yongsan. Should be a very interesting assignment being so close to the DMZ in area I.

Report to Korea on 20 October 2008 , and haeding to OBC in 3 weeks to Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio Texas.

I'll be putting everyone's advice into action in just a few months
Old 07-02-2008, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

camp casey is actually pretty far from the DMZ. camp grieves is the one on the DMZ.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:18 PM
JK Newbie

It's all ready been said but I would like to reiterate STAY AWAY FROM THE SOJU!!!! that stuff is the devil!!!

Also as a captain it might be a good idea to get your dress blues and mess dress uniforms made while you're there adashe can HOOK you UP! I mean like half off and tailor made for you hook you up. It could save you well over a grand in uniforms which is also about the price for a nice set of mud tires, or a good winch bumper, or a.... ah well you get the idea.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:47 PM
JK Newbie

did anyone mention that SK is the hottest place in the world in the summer and rediculously cold in the winter. we had to pull 15 minutes gaurd shifts in the mountain one night. it was so cold, all of the extreme cold gear the army offers wouldnt help. i want to say it was -50 with a 45 mph wind.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wheeled Korea. I have a ton of pics of it too. I will have to find them. I found a guy on the Rubicon Express webiste named KIM just like everyone is named over there and he had a huge Jeep shop and a good number of real offroad enthusiests. I was there 04-05 and I wheeled about 3-4 times. There were officers there that brought their Land Rovers and it was awesome!

TAKE YOUR JEEP! the wheeling over there is fenominal!!!! I will try and find the pics.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JulietKilo
I wheeled Korea. I have a ton of pics of it too. I will have to find them. I found a guy on the Rubicon Express webiste named KIM just like everyone is named over there and he had a huge Jeep shop and a good number of real offroad enthusiests. I was there 04-05 and I wheeled about 3-4 times. There were officers there that brought their Land Rovers and it was awesome!

TAKE YOUR JEEP! the wheeling over there is fenominal!!!! I will try and find the pics.
I would love to hear where this shop is at.... I am at Yongsan.

Last edited by gt4660; 08-24-2008 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well Cpt. Mercer, I will see you there at Camp Casey then. I report on the 4th of Sept. We will have to have a beer together sometime.

Sgt. Gibson
63B

Quick Reply: South Korea??