Notices
Boating & Fishing General discussion forum regarding all forms of boating including motor boats, sailboats and all things fishing including fly fishing, deep sea fishing, fishing gear and great places to fish.

Lake Erie Perch, just can't beat it...

Old 05-26-2008, 05:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lake Erie Perch, just can't beat it...

i have had alot of fish but nothing compares to fresh Lake Erie Perch am i right Ohio people?
Old 05-28-2008, 06:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know kind of hard to beat a good flounder fillet, seatrout fillet (or weakfish almost the same), or even deep fried southern catfish fillet (you got to trim it right). Never had a perch from the area you are talking but I have had them here. Kind of small and boney tasted okay but nowhere near the above mentioned fish.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

different kind of perch... it's just not the same lol but yeah flouder, catfish and that are pretty good too, they are up there but home caught and cleaned tops it off
Old 05-28-2008, 08:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
different kind of perch... it's just not the same lol but yeah flouder, catfish and that are pretty good too, they are up there but home caught and cleaned tops it off
I have perch as a green/yellow belly fish that basically looks in body shape like a walleye. It looks exactly like I have seen on TV that ice fishermen catch except smaller and I have had guys from Wisconson call it a perch and wish it was bigger. We also have what they call a white perch that looks like a white bass more than the perch (and I got thoughts on that because up untill recently say 7 years ago there was zero talk of white perch but a lot about undersized white bass by the DNR) If I am wrong I apologize and know nothing about the species you are talking about. I can say size and type of water (being colder) might have a lot to do with making it a much better tasting fish. Anyway, keep on fishing and keep a few to eat but not more than you need because you can catch more and fresh is better than frozen any day of the week.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:56 AM
JK Freak

Out this very morning fishing for perch. aught 40 or so in about 1 1/2hrs so i thought that i would ive myself a challenge. I tied a piece of line 2' long to a piece of willow. Can't imagine the fun that I had. you feel every little bump and tug and I even managed to land a few! it was absolutely so much fun.

Quick Reply: Lake Erie Perch, just can't beat it...