Notices
Camping & Hiking General discussion forum regarding all things camping or hiking including hiking trails, great places to camp, camping or hiking gear and anything related to hiking or camping.

1st Time Camping

Old 06-11-2008, 10:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fearney
Oh yea, don't shoot Yogi, he is just interested in your picnic basket. The only pistol I have is a Ruger P90, I would love to get a revolver so I can load rubber bullets in the event of an overly aggressive bear as rubber bullets don't feed through .45 autos very well. But my Ruger is one hell of a noise maker.

I love this pistol.

I would only shoot Yogi if he came charging at me. I do hunt but I eat and waste nothing what I kill.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a little sick, but a Nalgene bottle with the big mouth lid and the words PEE DO NOT DRINK written on the bottle is nice to have in your tent on a cold night.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most parks do not allow weapons,, that said I would not waste my time with the rubber bullets,, you might as well wrap your gun in bacon so you can distract the bear with it.. We have had many bear attacks up in nepa in the last couple years as the area here becomes more and more built up they get less and less scared of humans. I've seen bears rip into houses before looking for a free meal, which is what they are really after anyway. I just would rather have real bullets in case I'm between the bear and the free meal he is looking for.. I had a bear in my house last year, came right in the garage and took my garbage can. I was just in the next room looking for my premix.. The garage was only open for 3-4 minutes. I thought I heard a noise and came out to finnish loading the bike for the ride in the morning when I smelled the bear and realized the can was gone. He drug it about 100 yards into the woods and had lunch. It could have been worse if my timing was off a little.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is the Cabelas Big Horn II tent, very reliable; has withstood some serious T-storms and the woodstove works great in the winter time.

Last edited by fourwheelingbigbubba; 06-11-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

VERY NICE! I would consider that if I camped for weeks at a time. But just going for a weekend or even one week, I stick to a smaller tent with an air matress. I love the setup though.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fourwheelingbigbubba
This is the Cabelas Big Horn II tent, very reliable; has withstood some serious T-storms and the woodstove works great in the winter time.

I think your tent is bigger than my apartment. Very cool for a long trip.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cruiser
Most parks do not allow weapons,, that said I would not waste my time with the rubber bullets,, you might as well wrap your gun in bacon so you can distract the bear with it.. We have had many bear attacks up in nepa in the last couple years as the area here becomes more and more built up they get less and less scared of humans. I've seen bears rip into houses before looking for a free meal, which is what they are really after anyway. I just would rather have real bullets in case I'm between the bear and the free meal he is looking for.. I had a bear in my house last year, came right in the garage and took my garbage can. I was just in the next room looking for my premix.. The garage was only open for 3-4 minutes. I thought I heard a noise and came out to finnish loading the bike for the ride in the morning when I smelled the bear and realized the can was gone. He drug it about 100 yards into the woods and had lunch. It could have been worse if my timing was off a little.
We rarely go to the National Parks as they are designed for bus tours or are way too busy. At least that is how it is in CA. We spend most of our time in the National Forests and it's perfectly legal to carry a loaded sidearm. Naturally there are regulations such as not discharging it near a campground, body of water, road, etc, but remains perfectly legal to carry. You are even allowed to carry it in a campground. Of course, it can’t be concealed, but that's a whole different topic. As for the rubber bullets, we are not visiting areas where the bears are losing their fear to humans and I have been with people who used rubber bullets and they worked just fine. Keep in mind; I would not be using them to save my life, just simply getting a bear to leave my ice chest or the dumpster alone.

I love watching those uTube videos of bears breaking into cars, they are funny as hell. Especially the one where the bear broke into a car for a bag of gold fish crackers. LOL
Old 06-12-2008, 12:02 PM
JK Freak

Lets just say get rid of the air mattress, if the temp drops you will be cold.
A good closed cell mat is best for sleeping in a tent for the price.

Bags tend to be rated a little warm for me but everyone is different.
Take and extra blanket.
Change in to dry clothing before bed including sox, should be wool, silk, or rayon (not cotton). A light sleeping hat will keep your warm.

Dogs can get funny in a tent be sure your dog can take the enclosed space before you take em' to the forest. Take a rug for your dog to sleep on.

Eurika tents are great, Find an REI store and ask the sales person, generally they have experence and can help you a lot.

Food: NO FOOD IN THE TENT, you will have critters in your tent in no time, they chew through in about 2 seconds.
If you are in an area with Bears get a bear bad and learn how to use it.

Get some education again at REI they have free classes in all sorts of stuff related to the out doors.

BTW I'm BSA National Camping School graduate/certified.

Check out this website http://www.nols.edu/
Old 06-12-2008, 02:10 PM
JK Freak

Most of our park out on this side are state parks.. they don't let you have guns in the campground unless its hunting season.. they don't even let you have beer,, bastages! Our Bears in NE Pa seem to be very aggressive as of late.. 6 attacks last year,, most have been within 20 miles from my house. And I've used the panic on my wifes libby to scare away the bears,, works on the little ones,, not so much on the bigger ones.. We had a neighbor that installed an alarm on the hot tub,, a bear kept ripping the cover off and taking a dip.. didn't even faze him the alarm was going off,, the 1/4 stick going off,, that got him going.. Now they have an enclosure for the tub..
Old 06-12-2008, 02:15 PM
JK Freak

Oh,, and last week,, our one neighbor had a bear take/eat the families pet guineas pigs and rabbits. Broke the fence open, then the rabbit hutch that housed the pigs and rabbits,, 6 or 7 of em,, cant remember how many.. left the chickens alone tho??

Quick Reply: 1st Time Camping