Notices
Camping & Hiking General discussion forum regarding all things camping or hiking including hiking trails, great places to camp, camping or hiking gear and anything related to hiking or camping.

1st Time Camping

Old 06-14-2008, 04:02 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by idrivejeep
... Don't set your tent downwind from the fire. The next morning when we started cooking breakfast (bacon and sausage) we didn't realize that all the smoke was embedding itself into the fabric. That night it seemed like every raccoon for miles was coming over to check it out. ...
Another reason to not set up the tent downwind from the fire: Even if not cooking over it, an ember could catch your tent on fire.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had a friend who left his hiking boots outside and a porcupine ate them, probably after the salt. If you cook odorous food the odor can attach itself to your clothing and attract animals also. And one last thing, look around. Be aware of where you pitch your tent. Low land collects water when it rains, dead branches fall from trees, animals travel game trails where you might pitch your tent. We had a friend pitch a tent on a trail and in the middle of the night a herd of horses ran down the trail and jumped the tent.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sully151
Sweaty shirts, socks, pants or anything else need to be secured safely.

I was backpacking the Lost Coast Trail in Northern CA. and I left a sweaty shirt outside my tent. The next morning I found it ripped to shreds by small rodents. They liked the salt.

Have you gone on your trip yet?

It would be funny if we were all spewing our "knowledge" and you were already on your trip.
We are leaving the July 3rd.

Thanks for all the information everyone. A lot to take in. Food, tents, bears,
Honey on my ...... sorry that's for something else
Old 06-15-2008, 01:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

so we are going for one night...maybe two. Her, dog, jeep, and me.

Dog is a 90lbs lab and a 2dr jeep. What is a good check list of stuff that I can also fit in the jeep with the dog. I can life of basics. Thank again everyone

P.S.: This is for a 4th of july run to greenridge in MD if anywants to come.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/east-coast-51/green-ridge-state-forest-4th-july-43094/
Old 06-15-2008, 04:20 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went ahead and posted a list for ya! Depending on how many vehicles are coming, you might be able to split up some of the load.....

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/camping-hiking-99/camping-list-44396/

Hope that helps!
Old 06-22-2008, 10:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fearney
None of us are true greenies by driving those Jeeps. What I meant by that is you will not find me chaining myself to a tree. I want to keep our forests clean, but in CA we have a tendency to find dirty diapers, empty 12 packs and whatnot just left by river banks, trails, etc. We have some uninvited guests here in CA that don't care how nature looks, as long as they can swim and catch our trout w/out buying a fishing license. We tend to go higher up and farther away where it costs more to get there, resulting in less broke people who spend all their money on baby formula, beer and meth. Matter of fact, if their government was behind them comming across illegally then we would be able to shoot them as it would be considered an invasion per our constitution. Not that I would shoot anyone, it's just food for thought.
I think thats the kinda attitude is messed up !!!!!!!

How do YOU know whose left what, where and when ? Not being eviromentaly concious is not based on nationality !!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 1st Time Camping