Notices
Camping & Hiking General discussion forum regarding all things camping or hiking including hiking trails, great places to camp, camping or hiking gear and anything related to hiking or camping.

Backpacking in Colorado

Old 07-07-2008, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backpacking in Colorado

Has anyone here ever done it? and where. I'm thinking about doing a trip some time near Leadville and am wondering about the native nasties, like bears and mountain lions. Should I be conserned? Or will a big ass can of Bear-B-Gone Bear spray be ok? Any input ya'll can share on the subject would be great. Thanks
Old 07-08-2008, 01:21 PM
JK Super Freak

CHeck out the Weminuche Wilderness north of Durango.

Take the Durango-Silverton train to Needleton, or Elk Creek drainage and hike up to the continental divide. It is strenuous, but lots of water (no need to carry a bunch, you're always near a creek), and amazing scenery.

I think the hike into the Chicago Basin (Needleton) is a little easier, and more scenic, with the possibility of bagging 3 14'ers in one area, in one day.

I have seen scat frequently but have never seen a bear. Lots of deer and mountain goats (they need salt, and know that people urinate around their camps, so they come and lick the urine or eat the bushes you pee on). I'm sure there are mountain lions, but unless they are intending to attack you, you probably will never see one.

You can also connect the trails by going all the way from one to the other along the CDT. That would be an amazing route, but physically taxing (worth it if you can do it)

Durango is a great town to hang out in before and after your hike.

Good luck, and have fun.

Check this out,...

http://www.durangotrain.com/about/wilderness.htm

Last edited by mmcan; 07-08-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:13 PM
JK Jedi

I loved the Raggeds Wilderness Area above Crested Butte. Deer and elk everywhere!!! Bear and lions will be "around" wherever you go, but never let it keep you from going into the woods. The chances of having an incounter, much less a bad one, are slim.
We never let it stop us in AK. and the brownies are thick up here. We just make plenty of noise so they know we're around.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm thinking about going to the Tennessee pass near Leadville. anyone ever been there. is there any water around i.e. lakes or streams?
Old 07-09-2008, 07:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lets see some pictures!
Old 07-15-2008, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

anyone here ever hiked near and around leadville? Need input, anything and everything would be great to know. thanks.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Gear

Do any of ya'll carry a hachet or small shovel Backpaking or do you use a stick to dig holes and or use the tried and true cave man skills of using rocks to drive tent stakes in the ground? My pack is about 40 pounds and I'd like to keep it somewhere about 45-50 at the most. any input would be great.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by neopj3
Do any of ya'll carry a hachet or small shovel Backpaking or do you use a stick to dig holes and or use the tried and true cave man skills of using rocks to drive tent stakes in the ground? My pack is about 40 pounds and I'd like to keep it somewhere about 45-50 at the most. any input would be great.
Are you going solo? If not, then a hatchet/ shovel would be a good theing for your partner to carry.

I have never carried one.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nope, going with a few others. figured it might be nice to have if I need to build a lean-to or

Quick Reply: Backpacking in Colorado