Notices
Camping & Hiking General discussion forum regarding all things camping or hiking including hiking trails, great places to camp, camping or hiking gear and anything related to hiking or camping.

Camel Spiders!!

Old 06-09-2008, 09:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am deployed right now, and I just moved to a new area over here. There are a ton of these little camel spiders. They have really red legs and their body is dark black. I sure hate these things along with the Egyptian Vipers, Puff Adders, and Horny Toad Looking things. I will be glad to get back to Texas! I will try to get some pictures.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm originally from western New York (where it's too cold for stuff like that)
But I thought they had some funky looking bugs here in Georgia.
I'm definately not going to the desert!
Old 06-27-2008, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll take a wolf spider over one of those any day.
Like a cute teddy bear!
Old 06-28-2008, 09:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

holy crap. Glad we don't have those nasty f*****s in VA!
Old 06-29-2008, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

When I was in the Marine Corps, I had a Navy Corpsman taking a blood sample (which they did often!) As I turned away from watching the needle, he said, "Damn Marines, not afraid of getting shot, but scared of a needle prick..."

He was right!

I have/had no fear of our enemies, , but always worried about what was crawling around when I was "pinchin' one off..." out in the world!
Old 07-12-2008, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Had one (not giant) walking through my kitchen couple of weeks ago My wife was ready to move outa town.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:23 PM
JK Newbie

Default Camel Spider

X2 on Afghanistan. They were all over our demo/shooting range. Some of the best entertainment would be to take an empty ammo can. Put one of these and a scorpion in the ammo can and have them fight to the death. Just like the videos show. Fun in the sandbox!
Old 07-16-2008, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sgt P
When I was in the Marine Corps, I had a Navy Corpsman taking a blood sample (which they did often!) As I turned away from watching the needle, he said, "Damn Marines, not afraid of getting shot, but scared of a needle prick..."

He was right!

I have/had no fear of our enemies, , but always worried about what was crawling around when I was "pinchin' one off..." out in the world!
Amen to that. Probably your most vulnerable moment huh?

My brother-in-law is a Marine (retired). He just recently told me why he hates spiders so much. He had to hunker down in the overgrowth as a VC convoy passed by. He said he was covered with close to 100 banana spiders and one was even on his face. Had to lie there QUIET AND STILL for about 20 minutes.

I often think of the hardships of war and what you all do for us, but I've never thought that much about the strange and freaky creatures you are subjected to.

Quick Reply: Camel Spiders!!