Notices
Camping & Hiking General discussion forum regarding all things camping or hiking including hiking trails, great places to camp, camping or hiking gear and anything related to hiking or camping.

Soft coolers worth it?

Old 05-04-2011, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft coolers worth it?

Summer's coming around soon enough! Lots of camping and wheel'n in store. I've been thinking about getting a soft cooler for the jeep, esp. since I have dividend left at REI. I don't have one of those nice tire racks to store a hard cooler and won't be getting one anytime soon. How efficient are they compared to the standard hard cooler? In the past, I've always had plenty of space in the bed of my pickup, but with the jeep (4dr) I was thinking a soft one might be the way to go IF it insulates relatively well.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:33 AM
JK Freak

Default Not bad

My mother uses one all the time you can get about 24 hours out of a bag of ice. Her's hold about two bags unopened and almost 3 opened. The more ice that is in the longer it last.
Temperature has a lot to do with and they can leak sometimes.
I recommend if you get one line with a good thick trash bag.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:06 PM
JK Freak

I have a Polar Bear Cooler and I am very happy with it. It is great for when the big cooler is to much! Also, its rated for 24hrs @ 100*F. Oh, and they can be personalized too!

http://w w w.polarbearcoolers.com/polar-bear-coolers/navy-24-pack-polar-bear-coolers.html
Old 05-04-2011, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

ive had mixed results with soft coolers ive had over the years. dont get a cheap one as they tend to leak. you can get a hitch rack pretty cheap for your jeep.. i got mine for 50 bucks and it will hold a large cooler plus some. if you dont have a hitch then thats a different story.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default soft coolers

got an AO cooler. bad ass. holds ice all weekend in mild temps with no leaking. paid about $70 for a 36 can capacity with 20lbs of ice. alot more storage flexible. best part is they're made right here in socal

Quick Reply: Soft coolers worth it?