Notices
Camping & Hiking General discussion forum regarding all things camping or hiking including hiking trails, great places to camp, camping or hiking gear and anything related to hiking or camping.

Storing Gear while Camping/Hiking

Old 05-15-2011, 03:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storing Gear while Camping/Hiking

Hey everyone I am recent Wrangler owner but owned a GC last. When we used to camp we would 4 wheel to a campsite at the base of an awesome summit hike, spend the night and then throw the gear in the back of the GC before hiking.

With the Wrangler I have no where to store the tent, bags, cooler, grill etc...

What do you guys do to prevent people from stealing your stuff?

I did a search on here but didn't see this discussed before. Oh I live in the CO area
Old 05-15-2011, 06:25 PM
JK Freak

This is a concern of mine, as well. You could install something like the Tuffy Security Deck, or put everything in a some type of lock box that can also be secured to the Jeep.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:31 PM
JK Freak

so for it's been a trust issue...no problems thus far...but when it does happen...I'll figure something out
Old 05-15-2011, 08:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have always left our stuff out in the open. Most campers/outdoor enthusiast respect other enthusiasts.
We tend to go camping in rather remote areas. Now that we have a jeep the areas are getting more and more remote. I hope our luck holds out.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Gear

Been RV'ing for about 20 years. Mostly hardside travel trailers but traded a 2004 Dodge RAM w/Hemi in on my JKU so the 24' was a bit much for the JKU to pull thru the Rockies. Went with a Coleman Cobalt and have been very satisfied with it. Do kind of miss the creature comforts (i.e. A/C, toilet, shower, Reefer, etc) but the pop-up is still enjoyable.

Now about storage.... Not much in the camper so the JKU gets stuffed full. A couple of ice chests, hard plastic (latchable) trunk for food, cases of drinks, suitcase(s) and the like. The back seat down still leaving room for the dog in a corner passenger side. So far it has worked fine. Looked at some roof racks for the JKU but way to much $$. So plan on getting one installed on the camper (about a 1/4 of the price) this summer. Still have to unloaded it once parked but that is not a problem.

I have left gear at the campsite for years and have never had a issue. Even in some large (1800+ sites in Myrtle Beach) crowded campgrounds. Now I wouldn't leave a laptop sitting out not because of theft but potential weather. I have left TV's outside under the awning and no problems. I have been away from the campsite from before sunrise to well after dark. Most campers respect others campsites and they also watch over them.

Haven't done remote (kinda like having electric for the gadgets) yet but I would say the same would apply. Outdoors people seem to respect others. And I wouldn't think someone that was looking to rip something off would take the time to run remote areas to do it.

I have always felt safe leaving stuff at my campsite.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Gear - additional

Follow-up on theft. The only time I had problem was when my trailers were parked at home. 3 times they were broken into.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've had the same concern. I have my soft top on and think about it being vandalized while I'm hiking. I just went down to Red River Gorge. You can park the Jeep and hike in and camp. Unfortunately it poured while I was there so wasn't able to hike and camp. Will be going back in couple weeks to try it again. Hopefully Mother Nature will be in a better mood

This is the gravel road that has parking and bathrooms off of.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:31 PM
JK Newbie

Luckily we haven't had any issues. Most people respect others gear.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

In 40 years of camping, hunting, jeeping, the only problem I ever had was when we had to leave a couple of jeeps stuck in 3 feet of snow.

The next afternoon when we returned my hi-lift jack was gone and three 70 year old people were taking our batteries when we returned. They said they were going to charge the batteries for us.

They quickly installed our batteries. One of them quickly jumped in their rig when we showed up, so we figged a gun was on us.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Never go without protection

Statistic shows that theft among the camping community is much higher than the national residential theft, When we are in bear country we use bear locker for food they can store more than food and always carry chain and lock.

Some things to think about before you start:

1. Have a game plan to cover your particular situation and have the equipment for it, FSR radio's to bear protection

2. Let the authorities know what area you will be in and why

3. Never go alone

If you are with a group and coming to your destination and you see it being vandalized, send one or two members out to the tree line or where ever, but out of sight, making sure the thieves see it, CAUTION this could escalate the situations or make the thieves think twice, your decision, but don't go any further, give them time to clear out, parts and things can be replaced but you can't ,Don't give them the chance.

Last edited by 33 williys 77; 06-03-2011 at 02:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Storing Gear while Camping/Hiking