Notices
Central Canada If you live in the Ontario or Quebec area of Canada and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Full throttle

Old 01-15-2009, 07:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tunes
Yeah there was a bit of pucker factor when it happened the second time driving home.
I was following 2 cars, the first slowed to turn off the road, then the car infront of me and I accelerated away, problem was, when I got to 80km (Posted speed) and I lifted my foot off the gas peddle, it stayed down.
I thought I was going to re-end the car infront, but I got on the brakes and off the road onto the shoulder.
So the peddle stuck on (with the throttle sensor light), both times that I depressed the gas peddle beyond half. I think that I was around 3/4 peddle, maybe a bit more both times, but I don't think that I was flat down either time.

The Dealer called me back after they closed, and was asking if my floor mats were stuck under the peddle. God are they going to question if it even happened?

whtIwrk4 you are too right.
the first thing I could think of when I got out of the jeep, was what would have happened if my son had been driving.
He is sixteen and been waiting since last summer for his mom to let him write his drivers test.
He is doing that in 2 more weeks, then I was planning on going out with him, might not be in the jeep though now.

I'll post up tomorrow once I get the jeep there.
Anyone dealt with the roadside assistance yet?
I'm planning on calling them first thing in the morning and seeing how long it takes.
of course they blame you and the floor mat
next it will be cause of your bumper

I know how ya feel, road side is great by the way. its a call center they are nicer than the dealer.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very scary stuff, especially at those speeds. Is yours a stick or automatic?
Old 01-16-2009, 04:35 AM
JK Freak

Holly shite!!!! I could only imagine if it had of happened to either me or the wife while driving into Toronto during rush hour traffic. Glade to hear that everything was okay and you were able to get off the road safely.

Damn electronic / throttle by wire... They make things so damn complicated... In some aspects it is damn nice but all it takes is 1 situation like this and all I want to do is yank all that stuff out and just go back to the good old days of a physical connection between the peddle and the throttle body.

Look forward to the updates.

WRAITHYJEEP you are starting to sound cynical and bitter Go to your happy place... In with the good air out with the bad
Old 01-16-2009, 04:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

If it is an automatic, and the same thing ever happens again, remember you can literally bash the gear selector handle forward and it should drop into neutral. Doesnt matter if it the lever is on the floor as with the Jeep or on the steering column as with my wifes truck or my work truck.

If you shove it forward it will drop out of drive and hit the neutral slot and stop. This at least keeps the vehicle for accelerating, and will let you break much easier.

I am glad to hear that you are all right, and glad it was yourself driving and not your son, experience makes a huge difference. I am really intersted in hearing what happens at the dealership.

Keep us posted.

Cheers

JKDad
Old 01-16-2009, 07:10 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 2Summer

WRAITHYJEEP you are starting to sound cynical and bitter Go to your happy place... In with the good air out with the bad

He is making up for Zeero not being around
Old 01-16-2009, 07:30 AM
JK Freak

Well roadside assistance was a bit busy this morning
I called at 0730, and they answered at 0910
(and Yes Scott they did ask if everyone was alright, no-one at the dealer has)

The flat bed was quick though, got here by 0935.

I waited around for 45 minutes at the dealer, but then got the shuttle home.
The Jeep was still outside, and I saw a few cars that arrived after me, go straight in for service (Paying customers that is).

I went and talked with the head of the service department, she said is was because all the lifts were being used. OK I'll give them that one.

I got home and she called 5 minutes later saying the mechanic went out to drive it in, started it, held the peddle to the floor, wiggled the floor mat around and got it to hold the peddle for a few seconds.
So they figure that is what happened.
I asked why the Red Throttle position sensor light came on the dash?
They don't know. So I suggested that perhaps they could see if there was a fault code or something and get back to me.

When they call back, I'll ask them, why I wasn't able to physically lift the peddle up after I had stopped the engine.

If it was the floor mat, then I'm an idiot, and the light on the dash just comes on whenever you accelerate for a second or 2?
Old 01-16-2009, 07:37 AM
JK Freak

yeah sorry,
It is an Automatic.
I should have thought about bumping it up into neutral, didn't think of it at the time.
Had both hands firmly pulling on the steering wheel
Old 01-16-2009, 08:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i was at your place this AM after my oil change we should have pulled the codes ourselves

they truly are clueless, aint they, i'm pretty sure it was not the carpet as that would not have had the throttle light come on.

as for my oil change....should have seen them jump when i told them i was there for a quick lube i was done in 22 minutes thats from the time i pulled in to the time my bank card swiped.

ya i'm cynical these days! filling in for zeero ya, trying to raise the bar on topics ya, trying to stir the pot and get more participation ya, i'm bored lets make waves ya, the other areas have drama why shouldn't we ya.

wake up people lets give this area a personality!
Old 01-16-2009, 09:25 AM
JK Freak

I just got the call.
They didn't mention if there were any fault codes or not.
They did say that it was probably caused by the floormats, BUT they have ordered a new gas peddle

It won't be here till Monday so they are going to arrange a rental for me at 10:00 tomorrow (remember I'm not entitled for one until the second day), I guess they want to make sure I am inconvenienced exactly 24 hours before providing me with one. (is Scott's cynical tone rubbing off on me )

So I said, OK, I will buy that it was the floor mat, just tell me why the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) came on for the throttle position sensor.
She said it was because I was going too fast

I was accelerating up the onramp to the 401 doing about 80kph the first time, and then accelerating from 40 to 80 on Bell Blvd the second.
I told her that I have driven the Jeep faster than 80km before when on the highway and I have never seen this light. Is it normal to come on?
She said it came on because "it was a panic situation".

In all seriousness, There is a chance that it was the floor mat. I have no idea why they think a new peddle is required unless there is a defect on it that could have caught on the mat?

That might explain it, and I may have thought of a reason for the warning light.
If the floor mat had caught on the peddle, and I had stopped the vehicle with the brakes, would it be smart enough to question why it was getting two conflicting commands? if so, it might have questioned if the throttle was working correctly. In this case, then the warning light only served to convince me that there was a mechanical problem when there might not have been?
Old 01-16-2009, 09:25 AM
JK Freak

So when I get it back, I'll have to try a few Brake stands and see what happens

Quick Reply: Full throttle