Notices
Cooking & Grilling General discussion forum regarding kitchen cooking and BAR-B-Q Grilling.

Fav campsite meal

Old 02-19-2012, 05:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fried shrimp and red fish, hush puppies, and ice cold natties. Camping at bull's point sc. No road access boat only
Old 02-19-2012, 05:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an awesome thread. The more we camp the better we eat, when I was younger we would take chips, pork rinds, and beer.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree this thread is pretty awesome. Every January a bunch of us get together and go to the river, I swear I eat better in those 4 days than I ever do at home, and we eat a bunch!
Old 07-01-2012, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Pepperchini beef..

Make before camping. Easiest thing ever

Biggest chuck roast you can find
Can of pepperchinis
A beer

Crock pot works best I think. But I have done on stovetop in pot and in oven with aluminum pot.

Mix all in
4hrs 350degrees

When done shred beef, take out stems of pepperchinis.

Serve on buns, make burritos, eat with chips, anything!

Never met a sole who didn't like this, even converted 2 vagitarians to meat eaters!!!
Old 07-12-2012, 09:34 AM
JK Newbie

I make this at home. Brown some ground beef. Then add taco seasoning and Mexi-corn. After it simmers for a few minutes I put it in a plastic container then into the fridge until I'm ready to go. At my campsite I heat it up on a stove and serve it inside a half of pocket pita bread. Add some shredded cheese, guacamole and chips on the side while sitting next to the river... ..
Old 02-09-2013, 10:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Halo Sandwitch:
Tortillas
Cream Cheese
Turkey

Spread cream cheese on tortilla, add turkey and roll up. Super easy and taste pretty good. You can use any meat or cheese you like and add any veggies you want.

Halo Dogs:
Tortillas
String Cheese
Hot Dogs

Use half a stick of string cheese per dog. Cook hot dog over camp fire. Place hot dog and string cheese on a tortilla and roll, place tortilla near fire or heat to crisp up the tortilla and get the cheese a bit more melty.

I have found that tortillas travel better than loaves of bread and you can use them for quesadillas, sandwiches, hot dogs and breakfast burritos.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xerofall
Halo Sandwitch:
Tortillas
Cream Cheese
Turkey

Spread cream cheese on tortilla, add turkey and roll up. Super easy and taste pretty good. You can use any meat or cheese you like and add any veggies you want.

Halo Dogs:
Tortillas
String Cheese
Hot Dogs

Use half a stick of string cheese per dog. Cook hot dog over camp fire. Place hot dog and string cheese on a tortilla and roll, place tortilla near fire or heat to crisp up the tortilla and get the cheese a bit more melty.

I have found that tortillas travel better than loaves of bread and you can use them for quesadillas, sandwiches, hot dogs and breakfast burritos.
I use tortillas as edible pot holders when I go backpacking. Love them with almost any mountain house meal. They even have freeze dried chicken and beef taco filling.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Eggs in Beer Cans is a favorite of mine .... and I always seem to have some empties....

Anyhoo, just crack and egg into the bottom half of a beer can and put it over your heat - you can add bacon or sausage or any other meat if you've got it - the only photo I have is on a grill (portable weber Q) that I brought on an ATV/camping trip in vermont. It works over campfire or on coals too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (6).jpg
Views:	293
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	430823
Old 04-15-2013, 05:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by LRBolt
My Daughter-in-law gets credit for this one. It’s especially nice when you have a large group for breakfast because you can make them the night before and just cook them in the morning. We call them sandwich bag omelets.

Just whisk up as many eggs as you think you’re gonna need. Estimate about 2 eggs per omelet. (cooking time is for two eggs each) Use good Ziplock sandwich bags and put a regular ladle of the eggs in the bag. Add whatever each person wants on their omelet, cheese, ham, onion, peppers, anything. Squeeze out most of the air, seal it up and refrigerate.

In the morning get a pot of water boiling, we use a turkey fryer setup. Once the water is boiling good, drop in the sandwich bags (we’ve done as many as 10 at a time) and cook for 12 minutes. Give larger omelets more time, but its better just to make 2 for the big guys. Scoop out using a slotted spoon, tongs don’t work very well, cut open and dump on the plate.

LR
This sounds like something we did in scouts. Or the mountain man breakfast, take your dutch oven dump in 8 or so scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, onions, frozen hashbrowns, salt and pepper. Place 10 charcoal briquettes on bottom 8 on top and cook for an hour or so. Good stuff.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Super easy, No mess, no clean up

Package of Hot links
Package of flour tortillas

Cook Hotlinks until bursting
Cook tortillas over fire until starting to brown slightly

Wrap hot link in tortilla and eat!

Quick Reply: Fav campsite meal